2015 superb tailgate rust

2015 superb elegance estate, high miles 116k miles but well looked after with full main dealer service history. 

The car is dropping to bits! And skoda doesn't want to know .

I won't go Into the other faults as I can sort myself, however,  the are around one of the rear number plate lights is rusty beyond belief. I contacted skoda,  told to take to dealership for diagnosis.  They have advised skoda that  new tailgate is required.

Skoda have told the dealer that they cannot find evidence that the car has had any paint inspections so have refused the Claim! I'm livid , surely the inspections would have been done when car went in for service?? I've also been told that skoda are aware of this problem.

Any advice would be greatfully received 

Thanks guys

20190102_125931.jpg

Looks exactly like my car did! My car was delivered to me December 2013 and I found the corrosion last winter when it was 5 years old.
If you remove the lamp you will find that the light fixture is extremely corroded. I even had to replace the end of the cable as the contact had corroded internally.
I'm no corrosion expert, but i believe that what we see here is galvanic corrosion - the light fixture got corroded and developed a high resistance to ground through the cable so the current took another way to ground - into the metal surrounding the light fixture.

On my car one side looked like the picture above - the other side was fine. Lamp fixture was in good shape and no corrosion around it.

I went to my local Skoda dealer and they sent photos to Skoda Sweden for evaluation. A couple of weeks later i got a message that Skoda Sweden would replace the tailgate without cost.

When I got my car back with the new tailgate, I changed the new light fixtures (with open backsides) that the garage had installed, to Skoda original LED lights, which are sealed. Hopefully this will prevent corrosion of the new tailgate.

As this seems to be a design flaw, I hope you can convince Skoda UK to replace the tailgate. 

Best of luck!

12 hours ago, Skodavid said:

2015 superb elegance estate, high miles 116k miles but well looked after with full main dealer service history. 

The car is dropping to bits! And skoda doesn't want to know .

I won't go Into the other faults as I can sort myself, however,  the are around one of the rear number plate lights is rusty beyond belief. I contacted skoda,  told to take to dealership for diagnosis.  They have advised skoda that  new tailgate is required.

Skoda have told the dealer that they cannot find evidence that the car has had any paint inspections so have refused the Claim! I'm livid , surely the inspections would have been done when car went in for service?? I've also been told that skoda are aware of this problem.

Any advice would be greatfully received 

Thanks guys

20190102_125931.jpg

Yeah, i've got that on my 63. Mine isn't quite that bad but I do plan on getting it sorted. 

My mate had the same problem on his Fabia and it got sorted by skoda. As far as I remember he had to try one or two dealers before the work was agreed FOC.

I would be surprised if this wasn't a problem across the board.

Thanks guys...

Could anyone confirm the paint/ bodywork process.  Surely it is part of the scheduled services? 

And if skoda has no record of it being done ,then should the dealerships take responsibility?

1 hour ago, Skodavid said:

Thanks guys...

Could anyone confirm the paint/ bodywork process.  Surely it is part of the scheduled services? 

And if skoda has no record of it being done ,then should the dealerships take responsibility?

Have a look here at page 5, Body Protection Warranty.

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/681e0567-9e39-4078-88de-df61013683c7/SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d.pdf

It doesn't state a period of the warranty here, but in my 2014 Superbs paper booklet it states 12 years.

Doesn't require any annual inspection at all.

Try contacting Skoda UK or visit a different dealer.

Edited by PipH
  • Like 1

LHD Superb MK2 from year 2010. My tailgate had rust behind the license plate (rubbed through the paint in the middle) and the left bottom corner where the tailgate touched the rear bumper.

I had my tailgate repainted (payed for by myself). Between my tailgate and the light fixture my Skoda had a piece of protective plastic (thick, clear self adhesive plastic). Replaced it when putting all parts back again, ordered these plastic parts from the dealer.

Conclusion: Skoda knows about the rust problem / potential, as they have taken this up in their design. I don't understand why our 2015 model did not have this extra protection. It does have an other design tailgate, so maybe they forgot the extra protection.

I did not find any rust at the light fixture openings.

Edited by Ivanowitch

Thanks everyone, 

I think skoda are trying to fob me off ,hoping that I will accept their decision,  which I won't.

I have read the warranty terms and conditions 're the bodywork and there is no mention of having to have the car regularly inspected. 

I've also got the ' miky' chrome trim around the rear side windows too which they also rejected and I have accepted. 

The car looks tatty and the resale value is surely going to be affected. 

I previously had a Mondeo,  covered 200k miles with not one fault ,the only expense being service items.  The superb has had wheel bearing,rear shockers, heated seat element, water pump,prematurely worn leather seat. 

I wish I had stayed with Ford tbh 

• Like 1

Full Main Dealer Service History.

So Skoda UK Customer Services and Skoda / VW the Warranty provider knows where and by whom it was serviced 

and who to ask why they are not carrying out 'Inspections or Glass & Bodywork' and putting on the system.

Bottom of page. 'vehicle inspection'.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

*When there was 'Fixed Servicing' and a Service Book, there were Minor & Major Servicing, or Inspection & Major Services.

the Body Inspection was done every 2 years supposedly, the page with the 'Inspection report' was after every Service', you marked any damage etc, repairs on these pages'.*

Then they went to a Palm Held device.

This nonsense has been going on for years now and SKODA UK are taking the Pith.  The Dealerships are approved by them, Skoda did away with the Service Books with the pages after the service pages for the Body Condition reports.

It all went 'On the system',

Lots of threads on this forum with Skoda at it.

briskoda paint defect or briskoda corrosion warranty      will bring them up.

Edited by Skoffski

Skodavid, At least you made me look at part of my car I had not seen for a loooonnng time. Mine was clear I am pleased to say. Good luck though.

Edited by Danny 57

Just noticed the same problem on my 62-plate Estate. Skoda have initially said the same thing.

I'm going to push it, as a colleague had the same problem, and Skoda fixed it as a goodwill gesture.

Thanks bagpus,  

They are calling me on Tuesday and I shall be asking where it says that a periodic body Inspection is required so as to keep the warranty.  

IMHO they are taking the **** and it's a disgrace.  I'm like a dog with a bone and I certainly won't be taking no for an answer 

• Like 1

Update...

Received a 'courtesy ' call yesterday from a lady at skoda customer services,  it was a lengthy conversation and rather heated from my part .

I got her to quote me the conditions of the paintwork warranty ,which proved me correct that the conditions are met in my case . Yet,  she still wouldn't budge on the decision to reject,  saying that she couldn't overturn  the decision made by the warranty team,  and indeed had no ways of communication with them! She said that she would approach the dealership for a good will financial gesture and if not successful then I could seek the assistance from an independent body!

I spoke to the dealer who laughed , saying that the problem is definitely a manufacturing fault and it is a valid claim so therefore there would be no good will from them..this I agree with.

So, it seems like I have hit a brick wall , I can't get past the call centre staff( obviously designed this way). How can it possibly be right that one person's decision cannot be challenged? 

They still maintain that because they can find evidence of periodic paint inspections, then they won't pay out,  even though it isn't required in the warranty terms and conditions. 

My question is therefore..does anyone have any contact details for someone at skoda who may have some influence? Or can someone advise me as to how I can take this further,  I am prepared to take legal action and have told skoda this .

Any help would be gratefully received. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

The Senior Resolutions Manager / Executive Office @ Skoda UK is Cheri Cornish and she has been answering Members and others letters / emails communications talking a load of nonsense IMO.

I was told off by a member for linking her Linkedin UK profile.

She might know more about cars than she appears to when following the VW Group / Skoda Script.

I look forward to someone taking a court action against Skoda UK or VW UK and her or someone like her called as a witness.

You need a Independent Experts Report, and maybe legal Advice about the VW / Skoda Corrosion Warranty.

As it is the Warranty T&C's as they are do not help Skoda UK or Cheri Cornish in their rejecting valid Warranty Claims.

Main Dealer Service History, 

that is the History showing Main Dealer Servicing and not doing Periodic Inspections and Minor / interim or Major Services.

Skoda UK should be having inspections of those with premature corrosion that is being reported then doing an investigation into 

why 'Approved Repairers / Main Dealerships are not catching the signs early.

The places to look are due to the poor design and manufacturing and protective coating and preparations are known to Technicians & Warranty Managers 

and to the Factories Engineers.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for that skoffski,  I refuse to let this go , they are happy to boast about their warranties when trying to obtain the cash , but in reality it's just misold

So this is as far as I've got....

I emailed [email protected] and got this back

Dear Mr ********

I acknowledge receipt of your recent contact with us and I’m naturally concerned that you have been inconvenienced and may feel dissatisfied with the service you have received. In order for us to investigate your concerns further, we will require some additional information. I would be grateful if you could provide me with:- Your full postal address A daytime contact telephone number Your vehicle’s chassis number The name of the ŠKODA Retailer you have been dealing with Please note that where customers have a concern regarding vehicle performance, we will require a diagnosis of the issue to be carried out by a ŠKODA Retailer. This is to ensure that all issues are diagnosed correctly and that the appropriate repair is carried out. If you haven’t already made arrangements for diagnosis, the contact details for all ŠKODA Retailers can be found on our website: www.skoda.co.uk/find-a-retailer Once the above details have been provided and a diagnosis carried out, your case will be passed to a Customer Relations Manager to be investigated further. Please allow three working days for your Customer Relations Manager to make an initial contact. If you wish to discuss your case or provide any additional information, our Customer Services Team can be reached on 0333 0037504 during our office hours: Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30. Please quote the reference number SD1270394X upon contacting us. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK. Kind regards Neil Papworth Customer Relations Advisor ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA Tel:  0333 0037504 [email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

I've emailed my local skoda garage too regarding an inspection but am yet to hear back...

Not so happy reading this thread.

My 2014 car is about to go for MOT and I get a warning light which shows right hand number plate light his faulty. I take it out and find it totally corroded. So much that the terminals and contacts on the connector have rusted away. And yes, I noticed the rust. The other side is totally virgin, light is free from rust and so is the bodywork.

Looks like others here have had trouble getting this repaired under the anti corrosion warranty. I tried to trace a leak path, but there does not seem to be one from above. Must be coming in around the light fitting.

On 17/01/2019 at 23:01, Cotswold said:

Not so happy reading this thread.

My 2014 car is about to go for MOT and I get a warning light which shows right hand number plate light his faulty. I take it out and find it totally corroded. So much that the terminals and contacts on the connector have rusted away. And yes, I noticed the rust. The other side is totally virgin, light is free from rust and so is the bodywork.

Looks like others here have had trouble getting this repaired under the anti corrosion warranty. I tried to trace a leak path, but there does not seem to be one from above. Must be coming in around the light fitting.

I guess you will need to fix the light for your MOT and it seems it might take a while (or forever) to get it fixed by Skoda UK.

The parts you need to repair the wiring connector are:

• 8W0 971 832 - Connector housing
  • 000 979 009 E - Wire 

You only need one wire, there is a terminal crimped in both ends so you just cut it in half and connect the cut ends to the cables in the car. I soldered mine and put heat-shrink tubing over the joint.

I also replaced the crappy open back original lights with original Skoda LED lights:  000 052 110 (Will need coding or adapter cable)

/Joakim

On 17/01/2019 at 21:26, Shaunieboy said:

So this is as far as I've got....

I emailed customerservices@skoda.co.uk and got this back

Dear Mr ********

I acknowledge receipt of your recent contact with us and I’m naturally concerned that you have been inconvenienced and may feel dissatisfied with the service you have received. In order for us to investigate your concerns further, we will require some additional information. I would be grateful if you could provide me with:- Your full postal address A daytime contact telephone number Your vehicle’s chassis number The name of the ŠKODA Retailer you have been dealing with Please note that where customers have a concern regarding vehicle performance, we will require a diagnosis of the issue to be carried out by a ŠKODA Retailer. This is to ensure that all issues are diagnosed correctly and that the appropriate repair is carried out. If you haven’t already made arrangements for diagnosis, the contact details for all ŠKODA Retailers can be found on our website: www.skoda.co.uk/find-a-retailer Once the above details have been provided and a diagnosis carried out, your case will be passed to a Customer Relations Manager to be investigated further. Please allow three working days for your Customer Relations Manager to make an initial contact. If you wish to discuss your case or provide any additional information, our Customer Services Team can be reached on 0333 0037504 during our office hours: Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30. Please quote the reference number SD1270394X upon contacting us. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK. Kind regards Neil Papworth Customer Relations Advisor ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA Tel:  0333 0037504 customerservices@skoda.co.uk | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

I've emailed my local skoda garage too regarding an inspection but am yet to hear back...

Some advice which worked for me:

I subscribe to WHICH magazine. The subscription includes as standard a basic level of legal assistance (you can also upgrade it). 

When I had trouble with a car dealer, WHICH helped me out.

So, if you do have the records to back up your claim (like a service history), you might want to consider taking a WHICH subscription. Usually, if companies are not living up to their promises, they hate the publicity of being in the magazine and I can tell you from my experience, as soon as the first letter arrived from the WHICH lawyers, the dealer immediately backed down and did the right thing.

• Like 2

Update...

U have today been informed by the body shop that Skoda have authorised a repair only ( not a new tailgate). The body shop have told them that it needs the tailgate because the rust will return before long .

Skoda haven't notified me, but once I speak to them,  I will be rejecting their offer because I am not prepared to accept body filler in a relatively new car and then have to go through it all again in a few months time no doubt .

Thanks guys for all the info and support,  will post any updates 

• Like 1

Remind Skoda UK,  that repair to Factory Spec as they require to keep a 'Factory Paint or Corrosion Warranty.

So this will be to Factory Standard or actually better as the 'Factory Prep' was crap, there was premature corrosion.

So a new panel is required, as a Skoda Warranty Manager or Senior Resolution Manager should well know.  Tell them to read the Warranty T&C's 

and what the Periodic Inspection is supposed to check for',  eg dodgy repair work like filler over corrosion,. or removed / treated corrosion..

The Warranty Work should not be  Kerb Side Auto type stuff. As many 'Skoda Approved Used cars get'....

Edited by Skoffski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...