Honest Review

Focusy

Afternoon, I'm looking at potentially purchasing a Karoq,  we. test drove the 1.5tsi  on the weekend and it only had 90. miles on but it suffered from the kangarooing, now I know there is a update coming in late 2019 early 2020 according to Skoda,   

I know many of you are currently living with this on your current cars, and it upsetting some, and others are getting use to it,  however I'm not sure if I can, 

What I am after is a real honest, real life review on the 2.0 diesel with the auto box, as many off the reviews state its noisy and married with the dsg sluggish,  however having had a few 2.0tdi  from the vag group ive found these to good engines.

also keen to see people thoughts on the diesel vs petrol and real life mpg

thanks in advance

Focusy

I have the 4x4 DSG and find it to be good, no more noisy than the other 2Ltr Octavia's I have had.

The gearbox works well and it pulls fine, to be honest this is my third 2Ltr DSG and they have all been fine and apart from the Octavia Scout which was the best of the lot for power I am more than pleased. We were lucky in being able to get a used 4x4 150 hp DSG in July ( reg March ) as they don't seem to be on the web site now.

True Mpg in the winter is 43 and last summer it was 48. Glad I got the diesel  not the petrol!

• Haha 1

Just for comparison we have the much maligned 1.5Tsi SEL manual in Moon Wite metallic and over nearly 12 months and 11,412 miles it has averaged a very decent 46mpg (no adblue and petrol currently about £1.149 per litre). You get used the SKIPPY nature and can drive round it, hopefully the fix will eliminate it completely then I would give it 9/10 but for now it's getting 7/10.:thumbup:

• Like 1

I too have the 2.0l 4x4 DSG diesel. I find that the gearbox is a good match for the engine. I don't find the engine noisy or sluggish.

It can be a bit slow off the line when auto stop/start is active with auto hold. But switch these off and put it into sport and you have no problems.

Economy is about the same as Gomezz, does about 42mpg in winter and 48 to 50 in summer.

So far I have put adblu in once at around 7,500 miles.

I haven't driven the petrol variant , so can't really do a comparison.

The car had around 5.500mls on it when we got it, it was managers car and he was travelling from Sheffield to Mansfield so was well run in. I put 7 ltr of adblu in at 10,000.

Hi skoffski it was from the sales guy when we were on the test drive,  it was no way a confirmation,  he also indicated the lengthy delays in engine release was due to the new testing of emission,  praps he thought this would lengthen the timeframe, or giving himself breathing room if we were to go for the tfsi

• Thanks 1

I’ve had a 2L 7spDSG 4X4 Karoq for seven months and done 5k miles. I am very fussy.  The car is well neigh perfect. Always had manual box in past as don’t trust auto box to be in the gear I want when I want it. Can’t believe how good the DSG box is. 

Had a 4X4 Octavia est for 12yrs and more reacently two Tiguans for two yrs each. The direct comparison save for 6sp manual box. New Karoq is quicker, better acceleration and two mpg better at 42. I don’t drive slow.  Mine top of the range, totally loaded and then one or two nic nacks on top so v. expensive at £32700 but they gave me an exceptionally good deal on price and PX. There was no way I’d gone to buy a car only to have a look out of interest!  Glad I did it. Absolutely! Good luck. 

If I wasn't retiring I'd have another 2 litre diesel (and a DSG again - had one before) no problem - I've had 5 on the trot and a 1.9 before them. They are never going to be as quiet as a petrol but they aren't that noisy and purr along. Even when standing by them they are pretty quiet. I like the driving characteristics, sound and the economy.

Simcock - I don't think that is too expensive, I've specced up an SE L without going too mad on the options and soon got up to £33k!

Thank you all for the great feedbacks,  adblue is slightly bugging me from the diesel perspective and they future of diesel,  but the 1.5 tfsi is not showing available on the Audi A4 now according to my colleague who looking for one, has it been dropped?

is adblue really a life changer, does it use a lot?

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:41, RichardPB said:

I too have the 2.0l 4x4 DSG diesel. I find that the gearbox is a good match for the engine. I don't find the engine noisy or sluggish.

It can be a bit slow off the line when auto stop/start is active with auto hold. But switch these off and put it into sport and you have no problems.

Economy is about the same as Gomezz, does about 42mpg in winter and 48 to 50 in summer.

So far I have put adblu in once at around 7,500 miles.

I haven't driven the petrol variant , so can't really do a comparison.

Richard's comments pretty well reflect my experiences as well. I don't find the auto start/stop with auto hold an issue for normal driving especially when it is very easy for the driver to start the engine themselves (move the steering wheel a fraction), or if you have ACC the car in front moving off will also do the job.

I have done about 12k miles and have topped up the ad-blue a couple of times - very easy and cheap.