New small Skoda SUV launching March Official Info

SurreyJohn

I’m surprised by good this car looks. It shows that Skoda has mastered their new design language. The Karoq and Kodiacs are good designs but they are more spec sensitive while the Kamiq doesn’t appear to need a Sportline or Scout trim to look premium. 

Given that the Scala needs to establish itself, I think the Kamiq, which barely 10-15% more expensive, will be the easier sell. It’s essentially a higher riding hatchback and I think many families and women will choose it over the Scala. Those who want more road presence and a more commanding seating position have the Karoq to choose from.

Overall, Skoda’s line-up is inclusive by offering something for everyone at sensible prices. 

Here's my video. It was hard to film, to many people on press day who aren't press.

Honestly the cars look weird. It's not tall enough for me or beautiful ass T-Roc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No need to be tall, you want to be able to wash the roof or pack your adventure gear on the roof and still have a low centre of gravity for that enthusiastic driving with the Sporty lower suspension option.   Let VW do the more rugged looking higher with no more ground clearance Lets Offroad FWD models. 

@Croat

Is that an actual DSG shifter on the car?

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

No need to be tall, you want to be able to wash the roof or pack your adventure gear on the roof and still have a low centre of gravity for that enthusiastic driving with the Sporty lower suspension option.   Let VW do the more rugged looking higher with no more ground clearance Lets Offroad FWD models. 

@Croat

I hope not!

On 14/03/2019 at 16:01, Skoffski said:

@Croat

No need to be tall because as we know the increased ground clearance is rarely made use of but that is one of the things that define SUVs and makes them easy to get in and out of.

Some of the other videos talk of increased ground clearance though, but I guess not as much as the likes of the Yeti etc. 

I thought the Kamiq, like the Karoq and Ateca, was just going to be Skoda's take on the Arona but that does look like an SUV whereas the Kamiq looks like slighty raised hatch and a bit BMW X1 like. Will have to wait and see what it looks like in the metal.

Not that I want it but I wonder if the size of that tunnel is to facilitate future AWD versions?

• Like 1

Ford do the Kuga or EcoSport, easy in and easy out, and now the Ka+ Active, Fiesta Active & Focus Active hatch or estate.

Also easy or easier in and easy out. Just a bit higher versions.

The term SUV really no longer means much you just need to try cars because some have little space to even get your seat belt fastened once in the car.

Some cars are too high and not a help to the infirm, or small (short), and have daft sills (wide sills and awkward to get your feet over (or exterior) sill trims meaning that drivers or passengers get dirty clothes, knock shins / calves etc.

The Motability Site is good for giving dimensions, doing comparisons.

Sill height, floor to seat, floor to sill, angle of door opening, seat to roof height etc.

What many car designers miss is can drivers see out the windscreen or is the top of the screen too low when a driver that is above average height or not short 

sitting comfy without a seat lowered towards the floor in a supposed SUV.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

What many car designers miss is can drivers see out the windscreen or is the top of the screen too low when a driver that is above average height or not short sitting comfy without a seat lowered towards the floor in a supposed SUV.

I agree with you George.  But as a Yeti owner, I'd go further than that:

What many car designers miss is can drivers see out the windscreen or is the rear view mirror too low when a driver that is above average height or not short sitting comfy without a seat lowered towards the floor in a supposed SUV.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

No need to be tall because as we know the increased ground clearance is rarely made use of but that is one of the things that define SUVs and makes them easy to get in and out of.

Some of the other videos talk of increased ground clearance though, but I guess not as much as the likes of the Yeti etc. 

I thought the Kamiq, like the Karoq and Ateca, was just going to be Skoda's take on the Arona but that does look like an SUV whereas the Kamiq looks like slighty raised hatch and a bit BMW X1 like. Will have to wait and see what it looks like in the metal.

Not that I want it but I wonder if the size of that tunnel is to facilitate future AWD versions?

In person Kamiq is not big, there won't be AWD.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the kamiq will come with varioflex seating?   This would make it top of the list when we come to change our yeti.  None of the car show ones seem to have it, which would be a shame.

2 hours ago, speedy2 said:

Does anyone know if the kamiq will come with varioflex seating?   This would make it top of the list when we come to change our yeti.  None of the car show ones seem to have it, which would be a shame.

I’m guessing not. Think it will be too small overall to allow that but you never know. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the only Skoda with removable seats is the Karoq in SEL Edition and Scout formats... ?

Found that to be very useful when I had the Yeti...

On 15/03/2019 at 22:48, Robjon said:

I agree with you George.  But as a Yeti owner, I'd go further than that:

What many car designers miss is can drivers see out the windscreen or is the rear view mirror too low when a driver that is above average height or not short sitting comfy without a seat lowered towards the floor in a supposed SUV.

I second this! If you're taller than average, it's really tricky to set up the rear view mirror in opimal position sometimes. Luckily, Superb allows for a lot of space, but in my girlfriend's Fabia MK1, it's really tricky, even though Fabia is tall car.

Now, when it comes to Kamiq - I love the design, and I'd love to have it as a city-go (sorry for the pun!) car. It's like the best possible combo of Citroen C3, Ford Fiesta, Mercedes GLK and C4 Cactus - all in terms of design, practicality, usability and the looks. Plus, it looks insanely good in this red. And despite my Superb III and its amazing headlamps, I'm truly jealous of the sliding turn indicators for Scala and Kamiq!!!

Oh, and the button for the trunk opening in the door panel? GENIUS. I'm scared to death to touch mine in the Superb. Such a nice solution.

Will stick with my MK1 Fabia vRS, no silly electronics with a fault code that can relate to several different issues all to different parts of the car that garages will find imposiible to diagnose, no Stop /Start to shorten battery life, No ad blue just because its Diesel.

Edited by lfc958

• 1 month later...

Let's hope the new Kamiq doesn't arrive with the built in feature from the latest Arona, Ibiza and Polo. The left rear seat belt buckle  becomes unbuckled when cornering and 3 people/children are sitting in the back. This was first brought to SEAT and VW attention in Finland and owners of these models should receive a recall letter to have a small modification involving a redesigned belt lock. Another characteristic engineered in at the design stage by those clever VAG R & D types.:sweat:

A feature in some Skoda Karoq as well.

Recall letters should have been received by 'Registered Keepers' along time ago in the UK after VW Group got contact details from the DVSA / DVLA.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-46320553

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/463250-safety-recall-notices-karoq-parking-brake-rear-seat

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Edited by Skoffski

Went for an initial look at the VW T-Roc  and Arona but ended up really liking the T-cross.

Delivery times arent too bad so will probably wait and see what the Kamiq spec and prices are like when it appears hopefully late summer ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2019 at 18:45, rarrar said:

Went for an initial look at the VW T-Roc  and Arona but ended up really liking the T-cross.

Delivery times arent too bad so will probably wait and see what the Kamiq spec and prices are like when it appears hopefully late summer ?

Got a test drive in a T-Cross booked for next week, but likewise want to see the Kamiq also, hurry up Skoda and at least get the configurator set up and announce a Uk launch date, can't see it being to at least September or October after the summer holiday season.

• 2 months later...