Water Ingress - Passenger footwell

KYW

Hi K08 wilson

I have to ask , does your Karoq have the panoramic roof??  if so I believe from reading lots of threads on the internet that it is a known problem with pans which has carried over from the same unit used in Yetis and even Superbs. It would seem that they are not sealed into the roof very well.

If you don't have a pan then it's anyones guess. I still think it's a poor sealing job on the bulkhead/scuttle on my car but I only have water in the front. As you have both front and rear, I would suspect the roof. It is clear though that dealerships do not have the skills to identify problems of this type so should be calling in the manufacturers for assistance. I am more concerned about the damage water might be doing to the unseen fabric of the car. I had been hoping to keep this car for some time as I am retired but what with this and other issues I seriously doubt it. If Covid had not taken over our lives my Karoq would have been gone before now. 

I don't know how you or I stand if we want to return the cars. I purchased mine outright so don't have the same clout that you have.

28 minutes ago, Rockinghorse said:

Hi K08 wilson

I have to ask , does your Karoq have the panoramic roof??  if so I believe from reading lots of threads on the internet that it is a known problem with pans which has carried over from the same unit used in Yetis and even Superbs. It would seem that they are not sealed into the roof very well.

If you don't have a pan then it's anyones guess. I still think it's a poor sealing job on the bulkhead/scuttle on my car but I only have water in the front. As you have both front and rear, I would suspect the roof. It is clear though that dealerships do not have the skills to identify problems of this type so should be calling in the manufacturers for assistance. I am more concerned about the damage water might be doing to the unseen fabric of the car. I had been hoping to keep this car for some time as I am retired but what with this and other issues I seriously doubt it. If Covid had not taken over our lives my Karoq would have been gone before now. 

I don't know how you or I stand if we want to return the cars. I purchased mine outright so don't have the same clout that you have.

Hi,

Yep I have the pano roof. It’s not something I’ve brought up with them as I wasn’t aware of this issue. They’ve not mentioned this either with regards to all the checks they’ve done. I will bring this up when I speak to them tomorrow, thank you.

I was also told I couldn’t have a courtesy car because of COVID. So for the first week I was left without no car. The second week, they gave me a hire car from a car hire place and then the third week I was given a Fabia, awful car and tiny in comparison to the Karoq.

Did you have issues with a courtesy car? Apologies if you’ve mentioned this in the thread.

Thanks

Hi

The 1st week they gave me a loan Golf 1.5 TSI which was totally unsuitable as I have had two knee replacements which is the reason I purchased the Karoq in the 1st place. My wife also has issues which made getting in and out of the Golf very difficult but it was all they had. When they failed to fix my car after the 1st week I complained that I could not deal with the Golf much longer and they found me a 2019 Karoq 1.00 ltr basic model which was so much better although it did not have a reversing camera which was a bit disconcerting as I kept waiting for the camera to come on which or course it didn't and caused a couple of issues.

The one thing which the golf did clarify was that my 1.5 TSI engine is not a good one even though the dealership told me it was fine. Compared to the Golf my engine is as rough as a bears as the Golf was far far smoother. In fact I am thinking I made a mistake buying the 1.5 as the 1.0 engine in the loan Karoq is as smooth as silk and feels much nippier than mine. I thought the 1.0 ltr would be underpowered but that is not the case. It is probably far more economical than mine as well.

Your dealership should have given you a like for like courtesy car. Best of luck with the water leak I hope we both get some better service in the not too distant future. Merry Christmas.

Hi

Before the Karoq I had a 1.2 TSI Octavia which was so smooth and had all the power I needed. It never used any oil between changes and the economy was brilliant.

When we chose the Karoq to make life easier for both of us getting in and out I was very disappointed that the 1.5 was far less smooth than the Octavia ( which had a lot of miles on the clock ) and was very noisy in comparison. It used about 2 litres in the 1st 4000 miles and has used  a litre and a half in the next 3700 miles. The economy is very poor with the best I have seen being 42MPG on a long run. The dealer just says that  the 1.5 is a bit noisier than some engines but it checks out as ok on their computer. It is the most disappointing car I have owned and I have had a lot. None of my previous cars have ever leaked!!!! not even my 1st car which was a1961 Wolseley 1500. You do not expect this sort of problem in a modern car. 

Latest update.

Once more I had to call my dealership because they never call me back. They have now decided that they do think it is the windscreen and will now have to order one. I did say that  this is where we were a week ago but they just said it takes time to sort this sort of problem.

Wouldn't it be better to build the cars better in the 1st place?????????????????

I will let you know how it all pans out but I do really wish I had never bought this car.

I wish other owners would update the website about any progress they are having as it all seems to have gone quiet!!

No I'm in Devon but it seems to be a Skoda issue. I emailed Skoda UK on their website and asked for their help.

Nothing

I did a live chat this morning and they had no record of my email. Convenient.

I find they are all over you while you are considering a purchase but once they have your money you are forgotten.

I suffered a poor hand over and poor customer service ever since.

What did they say was wrong with the windscreen? 

I’ve told them they have one last (3rd) chance to fix the issue and then I’m rejecting the car.

The person I’m dealing with is liaising with his area manager now with regards to next steps and sorting me a proper courtesy car.  

I’ll let you know what happens. This will obviously go into the new year now.

Hi K08wilson

They just said they suspect the windscreen. Then that they have had a few where the seal between glass and frame has popped.

I think that's Skoda speak for 'we don't really know but we'll try it and find out.

I advised that there were other owners who had replacement windscreens only to find later that they still had a leak.

I was asked not to be pessimistic and give them a chance, but they would not give the car back until they had fixed the problem.

I will do like you and give them this chance but I'm not confident.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

My first post on here after buying a brand new Karoq Edition (panoramic sunroof) 2 months ago. 
I've also had this issue with water coming in from the boot lid when it lifts up. 
It comes in mainly on the right side but has also been happening less so on the left side too.

I haven't noticed any ingress in the footwells yet but it's early days I suppose. 

I have also noticed condensation in the front headlights and the driver's electronic seat adjustment has been a bit of a problem also. It only works when it wants to and is very temperamental (I'm not sure if this is down to water).
The car is currently back with the dealership awaiting a fix. They have provided me with a Fabia as a courtesy car.
I bought it outright so I'm not sure how I'd stand in terms or sending it back as a bad job. Very annoying on a brand new vehicle.

Are there any grounds for sending a car back for a refund or a different model so soon into ownership? 

IMG_0615 2.jpg

Looks like your tailgate is filling up with water and pouring out of the inside trim when it lifts up.It is either the rear windscreen which has popped its seal or possibly the rear windscreen wiper - both are comon problems with the Karoq but Skoda still deny they have a problem. I don't know how you stand  with trying to return your car I have the same problem as I bought mine outright and have water ingress in the front footwell. My car has been with the dealership for seven weeks but they say I might get it back next week. My issue was apparently the front windscreen which had popped it's seal. They have replaced the windscreen but have been waiting for a new headlining and other parts to put the car back together. I know we had Christmas in between but it really is not good service and they clearly have issues with their production line if the windscreen are not being fitted properly. I have little confidence and would be kicking up merry hell if it wasn't for Covid .

32 minutes ago, JMag68 said:

Hello everyone,

My first post on here after buying a brand new Karoq Edition (panoramic sunroof) 2 months ago. 
I've also had this issue with water coming in from the boot lid when it lifts up. 
It comes in mainly on the right side but has also been happening less so on the left side too.

I haven't noticed any ingress in the footwells yet but it's early days I suppose. 

I have also noticed condensation in the front headlights and the driver's electronic seat adjustment has been a bit of a problem also. It only works when it wants to and is very temperamental (I'm not sure if this is down to water).
The car is currently back with the dealership awaiting a fix. They have provided me with a Fabia as a courtesy car.
I bought it outright so I'm not sure how I'd stand in terms or sending it back as a bad job. Very annoying on a brand new vehicle.

Are there any grounds for sending a car back for a refund or a different model so soon into ownership? 

That's not good at all.

Whenever you see 'sunroof' mentioned on forums, this was a VW Group thing with certain vehicles. To cut a long story short, it was drain plugs blocking that caused the water ingress. There has since been a fix / recall notice which is applied to affected cars. Being only two months old, it's unlikely that problem will effect you. In any case, the drain plugs for the sunroof have nothing to do with the tailgate so that's one worry off your list.

Fogging headlights is another common reported issue ( or non-issue ). Depends how bad it is, but your owners manual states that under certain environmental conditions, that you can expect misting on LED headlights.

Your other two problems tho !  Jeez.  Best straight forward advice I've seen is here: rejecting a car. That should tell you everything you need to know. Just remember that the contract is between you and the dealer you purchased the car from so don;t make the mistake as most other people do and start hammering Skoda UK with your problem. If it is a case for rejection then Skoda UK will not get involved.

What would I do in your position? I also have a Karoq Edition. If your problem had been reported in the first month I'd have no hesitation rejecting the car. If the problem had been reported after 1st month I'd do exactly as per the advice in that link. I'd give the garage the opportunity to resolve the two issues you mention. At two months old, you should have no problem whatsoever in showing the faults were due to faulty manufacture.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

There is another thread on this subject on the "other" forum. 

https://www.karoqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=561 

Rejecting advice here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/problems-with-a-new-or-used-car-your-consumer-rights/

tom

Yeah I've posted on the other forum too.

Thanks for the link regarding rejection. Interesting stuff.

3 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

That's not good at all.

Whenever you see 'sunroof' mentioned on forums, this was a VW Group thing with certain vehicles. To cut a long story short, it was drain plugs blocking that caused the water ingress. There has since been a fix / recall notice which is applied to affected cars. Being only two months old, it's unlikely that problem will effect you. In any case, the drain plugs for the sunroof have nothing to do with the tailgate so that's one worry off your list.

Fogging headlights is another common reported issue ( or non-issue ). Depends how bad it is, but your owners manual states that under certain environmental conditions, that you can expect misting on LED headlights.

Your other two problems tho !  Jeez.  Best straight forward advice I've seen is here: rejecting a car. That should tell you everything you need to know. Just remember that the contract is between you and the dealer you purchased the car from so don;t make the mistake as most other people do and start hammering Skoda UK with your problem. If it is a case for rejection then Skoda UK will not get involved.

What would I do in your position? I also have a Karoq Edition. If your problem had been reported in the first month I'd have no hesitation rejecting the car. If the problem had been reported after 1st month I'd do exactly as per the advice in that link. I'd give the garage the opportunity to resolve the two issues you mention. A two months old, you should have no problem whatsoever in showing the faults were due to faulty manufacture.

The faults were reported within the first month of ownership to be honest. We are only just into the 2nd month of ownership.

Thanks for the advice.

Clearly not a well manufactured car! It would be interesting to know if anyone else is dealing with Lookers Stockport?

I received my car back today after I returned it before Christmas for the 3rd time. They said they removed the dashboard and found the leak coming in from under the windscreen. I have to say, I’m not confident the fault has been fixed, but we’ll see.

I kicked up a fuss as I wasn’t prepared to have the fabia again as a courtesy car (awful car) and in the end they found me a Karoq. 

I told them this would be their last chance and that I would be starting the process of rejecting the car as it can take up to 8 weeks to get a decision. 

Mine is purchased on a PCP contract. I have Škoda Lookers, VW Finance and Skoda Customer Services all looped in. Everything is communicated via email to keep it all documented.

If we find out it’s still leaking, I will be continuing with the rejection of the car.

Like you I am not confident that my dealership has repaired the leak. They were supposedly trying to find the source of the leak for  three weeks then suddenly decided it was the windscreen. Three days later they told me they had replaced the screen and all was well but they had to order a new headlining which was unfortunately on back order so they would not be able to put the car back together until after Christmas. I heard absolutely nothing from them so I called them yesterday and miraculously they advised that the headling should be in by Thursday this week and they would try to get the car back to me this week. My biggest worry is that they get it all back together to look like new as I had only done 7700 miles in 21 months so the car was like new. If it does not come up to scratch I will have to look at rejecting the car. Skoda clearly have manufacturing issues as the internet bears out there have been many screen problems as well as seal problems and those leaks which they have been unable to find. I'm not sure I would want the same model again and may have to look elsewhere. Best of luck with your car!!

4 hours ago, JMag68 said:

Hello everyone,

IMG_0615 2.jpg

My leak turned out to be the rubber electrical trunking between the car roof and tailgate, not sealing after a rear dashcam was fitted, sorted it myself and car is now bone dry. When I originally booked it in though I was offered either a Kamiq or Scala, neither really suitable for my two dogs.

5 hours ago, Rockinghorse said:

- They were supposedly trying to find the source of the leak for  three weeks.

- Three days later they told me they had replaced the screen and all was well but they had to order a new headlining which was unfortunately on back order so they would not be able to put the car back together until after Christmas.

- I called them yesterday and miraculously they advised that the headling should be in by Thursday this week

- I had only done 7700 miles in 21 months.

If it does not come up to scratch I will have to look at rejecting the car.

If I understand you correctly and you're saying the car is 21mths old, then forget any ideas about rejecting the car.

Rule of thumb is:

1st month form purchase - car can be rejected if faulty

2nd month to 6 month - the onus is on the garage to prove the fault did not exist when vehicle was purchased. In other words car can be rejected but it could be contested.

6th month onward - the onus is on the owner to prove the fault existed when purchased. And that's very difficult.

If you're saying the car was faulty at purchase, I'd be asking why it's taken 20mth for the fault to be reported? Repair should be covered by warranty assuming you purchased the car new, but you have zero chance of rejecting it.

Hi Scot5

I hear what you say but from all the water ingress faults on the internet it would seem that Skoda have a real problem which would make this a different situation from the norm.

In fact it would seem to be a VAG problem as there are just as many VWs and Audis which are suffering water ingress. Maybe they should look at the reason and cure the problem before it becomes a repair.

Because of COVID I didnt use my car much last year and the way things are going I wont do many miles this year. The fact remains that they have a real problem as water is getting in even though my car has been stationary on level ground for months.

I know it wont be easy to reject, it never has been but the fact are there and although the repairs are covered by warranty you cannot tell what the effects of trapped water is doing to the cars fabric until maybe its too late.

I will keep you all posted and hope others will too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rockinghorse said:

Hi Scot5

I hear what you say but from all the water ingress faults on the internet it would seem that Skoda have a real problem which would make this a different situation from the norm.

In fact it would seem to be a VAG problem as there are just as many VWs and Audis which are suffering water ingress. Maybe they should look at the reason and cure the problem before it becomes a repair.

Because of COVID I didnt use my car much last year and the way things are going I wont do many miles this year. The fact remains that they have a real problem as water is getting in even though my car has been stationary on level ground for months.

I know it wont be easy to reject, it never has been but the fact are there and although the repairs are covered by warranty you cannot tell what the effects of trapped water is doing to the cars fabric until maybe its too late.

I will keep you all posted and hope others will too.

I agree with you on the faults, but you seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between repair and rejection. Rejecting a car after 21 months? Forget it.

The contract is between you and the seller - rejecting a car has nothing to do with VW group. Your problem will be proving the car the dealer sold you was faulty when purchased. Nobody will give a toss if a VW Tiguan you didn't buy has a problem. If the car you bought didn't produce any faults in the first 20 months, then the car you were sold was not faulty at the time of purchase.

I'm only advising you how this would be seen by the law. If I were the dealer and you wanted to reject the car I sold you, all I have to say is the car was 100% OK when I sold it to you. The ball is now in your court. If every Karoq filled up with water then you may have a case, but the fact is few cars do. VW Group have already acknoledged a flaw in the design of the drainage from sunroofs and dealers have been informed to check the drainage plugs on cars and replace if necessary. If you ignore those cars with sunroofs, how many suffer from water ingress?   You have a case for a warranty repair, you have no basis for rejection.

I've been there, seen it, done it. Just lets say for a second that you win - what's your expectations? What happens is the seller would be forced to buy the car back at the current market value. Now how is that going to benefit you? Remember:

1: you'll will have had to stump up legal costs and court costs without any guarantee of winning your case

2: you would not be allowed to use your car between the time you said you were rejecting it and the time of the court case. ( for obvious reasons )

A long story cut short, it was financially better and obviously easier for me to trade my piece of Honda junk against another car ( a SEAT in fact ) and be done with it.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Was a member on here for quite a number of years (originally 2004) and still have a 2006 Octavia (from new) that is starting to show its age, even though mechanically, I've had only a few issues over the years. 

Anyway, to cut a long story short, was going to get a Sportline Karoq but reading all this has put me right off. 

This forum had been brilliant for so many years and despite the brilliant reviews, I'm just so glad I can still read real issues from owners that drive their cars regularly and have to deal with every day car issues. 

Many thanks. 

15 hours ago, motr1912 said:

Was a member on here for quite a number of years (originally 2004) and still have a 2006 Octavia (from new) that is starting to show its age, even though mechanically, I've had only a few issues over the years. 

Anyway, to cut a long story short, was going to get a Sportline Karoq but reading all this has put me right off. 

This forum had been brilliant for so many years and despite the brilliant reviews, I'm just so glad I can still read real issues from owners that drive their cars regularly and have to deal with every day car issues. 

Many thanks. 

People who have problems rightly tell us about them. But people without problems don't! 

I've always had sunroofs on my Golf 4, Octavia, Golf Plus, Golf SV, and now my Karoq. I've never had the water leaks described above, and wouldn't be without a sunroof! 

Chris

• Like 1