Cooling fan running when car turned off?

Hi guys,

Quite often when I switch my car off (2013 Superb 1.6 Greenline) - The cooling fan keeps on running.

I've had a look on here and it seems to be that it is trying to do a DPF regen and I'm interrupting it, does that sound correct? I've just completed a 600 mile trip and it's still not happy.

Any advice? I've got VCDS if I can possibly force one, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction :wondering:

Thanks

Yes it's the DPF, and everything is fine, no need to try and force a regeneration.

All you've done is turn the engine off midway through the regeneration process. The fans are attempting to cool the DPF and exhaust down.

My Superb will often wait until I'm a few miles from home (after my 60 mile commute) to start a regen. As long as you're doing plenty of longer / high speed journey's the DPF will sort itself out.

Some useful reading here...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PracticalGoat said:

I'm usually only doing 5-10 mile journeys which I think is my issue.

If I do that from a cold start, I'd expect a regen after about 150km of those type of trips and it would keep going into a regen until I gave it the time to complete properly. 10 mins under load at +2000 rpm should sort this.

As jafo indicated - if this is your journey profile all the time then this will cause you issues. Try to give it a good 20 minute blast (as you said!)  from time to time.

A half hour normal drive is enough to complete a dpf regen (luckily my drive to work on countryside roads is 30min). You really don't need to give it a blast, the fueling program is more clever than that. Vag dpf is a great app to keep a check on it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having a similar problem with my 2014 170 4 x 4 DSG .  Last week the car wouldn't start (battery) which I put down to having not run for a week and my leaving the dashcam plugged in - I mean what else could it have been? ;)

Normally the car only does long runs and after sorting out the battery this week we did 2 x 170 mile trips-  so enough for any Re- gen, - I would have thought should one have been necessary.  On my previous 140 2.0 PD (died after oil pump failure, go figure!) I never saw the Regen light and attributed it to few short runs and the use of Premium diesel (Don't disillusion me, I'm content).  Not seeing a Regen light on this one then does not seem unusual.

Back to the present:  Yesterday and today I have used the car for a 2 mile round trip after which the fan continues to run despite the engine not being up to temperature.  Could we have a thermostat or relay issue that might have been behind the drained battery?    

The regen/dpf warning light only lights up if the regen process has been repeatedly interrupted and the DPF is nearly full.

A regen will start whenever the differential pressure in the DPF reaches the threshold value set in the ECU. It can happen any time, so starting on a 2 mile trip is quite possible, and it's unlikely to have finished hence the fans running.