Heated windscreen

Mulligrub

Many thanks for your reply.

I am looking at a Yeti SE L Drive  with the heated screen facility.

I just wanted to know of owners experience’s of them.

I can appreciate how useful it would  be with the frost and snow we have had yesterday  in my area.

Added the winter pack , heated window plus heated seats to my Octy 1.5 tsa dsg, Best option considering the ease that it makes for those cold and damp even mornings no ice to scrap no condensation mist on the inside , An extra worth the money to me 

Fantastic option. Had that on both my Yeti's.

My new RAV4 hasn't a Heated Screen even as a an option but has a very quick warm up from the Hybrid system. It is better than a regular vehicle but not as good as as a proper heated front screen.

Having said that the battery drain would be undesirable on a hybrid however they link the heated rear screen to the door mirrors which is very convenient.

Bill :)

4 hours ago, Mulligrub said:

Many thanks for your reply.

I am looking at a Yeti SE L Drive  with the heated screen facility.

I just wanted to know of owners experience’s of them.

I can appreciate how useful it would  be with the frost and snow we have had yesterday  in my area.

I have an SE L Drive and the heated windscreen is magic on frosty mornings. I am retired so if too frosty in the morning I simply have another cup of tea until temperature goes up, however, when it is below freezing all day (like today) then windscreen defrost is super. I tend to go out and start the car (it is in a secure driveway) switch on heated windscreen, rear screen, mirrors and heated seats then go in and wait for five minutes until ready to go - apart from scraping side windows of course.

That sounds like a very civilised way to start the day. I've been looking at the pros and cons of the manual and DSG models of the Yeti SE-L Drive.

Many thanks.

First car I’ve had with a heated screen and I’m converted. Also a night before de-icer convert. Current morning routine is to start the car and turn on screen and mirror defrost, and by he time I’ve gone over driver and passenger windows with a rubber edged scraper the front is usually starting to melt. My only gripe is that the heated elements on my yeti’s screen seem to be set for left hand drive wiper pattern : consequently the extreme left side of the screen doesn’t defrost on its own and needs some manual deicing. 

Wonderful things. Obvious benefit of clearing a frosted screen, not so obvious benefit of clearing that slight annoying mist on the inside. If one was available on the options list of any new car I was interested in it would be the first box to tick.

Colin

Its the one thing I missed when I moved to a Skoda superb from a Ford Mondeo back in 2005, and then through a 2010 yeti where it wasn't an option and a 2014 greenline where it wasn't permitted for emission reasons.

At last I have one again in my 2017 Yeti.

Start the car, turn on front and back heated screens, and the heated drivers seat. Then go and scrape ice of side windows. By the time I have done that the windscreen will wipe clean and the car is ready to go. Previous Yeti used to mist up inside almost immediately after scraping off ice and it could be several minutes before vision is truly clear. In some conditions, without using maximum demist mode I found the windscreen would mist from the top down in bad conditions. Again heated screen clears this without added blower noise.

Heated screen and door mirrors are fantastic!  Just rip the frozen rubber door seals to shreds as you open the door to switch on, then slosh some near boiling water over the side windows, sorted! Best thing since the electric starter. 

• Like 1

Have you tried the freezer bag, fill a  sealed freezer bag with warm water and just drag if on the screen.  I have an heated screen on my QQ but never used it in 16 month kept in garage and only done 3000 miles in that time.  I would hav hada new Yeti if they had still made them when I change my car

Edited by valep

I've had heated screens in my previous Ford Focus and current Yeti.  They're a great thing, as others have said, turn on front, back, and mirror heaters then scrape side windows and the little bit about the size of a playing card in the bottom corner of the windscreen that the heater element doesn't reach (but the wipers do),and you're good to go.  The Yeti windscreen element is slower to de-ice than my Focus, but still does the job by the time I've finished on the sidies, I love having it. 

On some milder days you might not think it too handy, but this morning I had to chip stubborn ice rather than just a light frost from my side windows at a temp of -10 with some decent windchill as a little cherry on top of that.  Today I abandoned scraping the rear side glass and only did the front.  As I hurtled back into the comparative comfort of the wind-less cabin my thoughts were "Yay! for heated screens!!!"

Side benefits are quick demisting on cold days quicker than the heater/air con could do it, so no fogging up just after you set off. Plus, on really cold days, the windscreen wash doesn't ice up from the wind-chill after you set off and obscure your view should you need a scoosh after setting off but before the heater temp is up enough for the blower to take over warming duties.  I'm not sure if it's also got heated washer jets, I'd need to pay more attention to find out, but I've been dumping neat (down to -23) screenwash down it's neck for the past month so haven't really needed them anyways.

1 minute ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Am I the only one though after clearing screen to find both wipers just miss sections of the screen leaving those covered in water?

Are you talking about areas covered by the wipers?
If yes they need replacing.

I'm surprised more people didn't tick the 'Carport' option at time of purchase. 

In fact it is so effective that I occasionally create my own snow just to remind myself what other motorists have to endure. 

20181211_143555.jpg

16 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Are you talking about areas covered by the wipers?
If yes they need replacing.

No they don't. The wipers have frozen in an arc. Liberal flexing prior to use helps but they don't always co-operate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lawnmowerman said:

No they don't. The wipers have frozen in an arc. Liberal flexing prior to use helps but they don't always co-operate.

If that is the case why are they complaining about it here instead of just sorting it?
New wipers tend to be more supple in freezing temperatures.

On 31/01/2019 at 22:39, Mulligrub said:

That sounds like a very civilised way to start the day. I've been looking at the pros and cons of the manual and DSG models of the Yeti SE-L Drive.

Many thanks.

We have a yeti se-l Drive 1.2 tsi with the dsg gearbox, it’s a brilliant car and the heated seats and windscreen are a god send during the winter months.

My current Yeti is the first that I specced a heated windscreen and what a good decision it was!  On frosty mornings I start the car and turn the screen ON. By the time I've gone back indoors and got my coat on the screen is clear. A further benefit, mentioned above, is the ability to instantly demist the screen before the heating system can function. One of the best options I have ever had!

BTW. Ford hold the patents/licences for heated screens and , as far as I've been able to find out, Skoda are the only manufacturer to offer it as an option. I've recently been looking for a replacement for the Yeti and all other dealers had said the same "only available from Ford". They were all not aware that Skoda did provide the option, even Seat couldn't!

Fred

The Ford patent ran out years ago.

A number of manufacturers offer heated windscreens. The Volvo S90 and V90 have it as part of their winter pack.

Also available on a number of Vauxhall's including the Corsa, the Nissan Qashqai, Range Rover and the Mini.

Strangely absent on BMW and Mercedes cars though.

Edited by silver1011

One little thing I forgot to say about the heated windscreen, as mentioned in other threads. The driver can, under some circumstances, see a pattern in the windscreen which can be a little distracting. This can be when headlights are approaching at a certain angle, or when the sun is low ahead of you. I find it can be difficult not to focus on it for a split second. I wouldn't be without it all the same. 

Never used the heated windscreen on the Yeti in 4  years,(southern softy) but I’ve lost count the number of times I use the heated steering wheel and seats on my existing car

Edited by Sad555