Skoda Superb - 1.5 or 2l

HanktheTank

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new Skoda Superb estate.  The current contenders are:

Skoda Superb Estate SE-L 1.5TSi 150ps DSG

or

Skoda Superb Estate Sportline 2.0TSi 272ps 4x4 DSG

I will be doing occasional towing of a small trailer, some motorway / long distance driving, and lots of routine short commuting / shopping.

I would be grateful for your thoughts regarding milage.  I am largely motivated by MPG efficiency, however am happy to take other thoughts into consideration.

Thank you!

Hi,

have recently ordered and and am awaiting a 1.5 TSI DSG.

From the test drive I thought the engine was more than sufficient for a large car like this (am amazed the power they get out of a 1.5 compared to my old 3ltr Lexus I’m trading in).  So unless you want outright speed I’d say the 1.5 will be best for mpg efficiency by a long shot over the 2ltr 272 bhp - and would guess that depreciation of the smaller engine car would be better too.

If you’re only towing a small trailer and not a large caravan etc, then think you should be fine.

from what I’ve read, I think the 1.5 would return 45ish mpg in real world driving - and the 2 ltr 272 bhp much less at around 30ish mpg.  However that’s just what I’ve read and don’t (yet) have personal experience of the car - so will defer to other members with real experi nice ;)

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you can afford the extra costs in purchasing and running a 272, definitely go for it. 

Your emotions will be satisfied that you got the flagship. It also has the better dsg box than the frankly dodgy(still go me) dry clutch dsg. 

Extra power always comes in handy. Always.