Skoda Kodiaq Leaking Panoramic Sunroof

Anyone having issues?

Just reading over on the Skoda Kodiaq Facebook page that 6 Kodiaq's have "been recalled to the factory" after filling their interiors with rain water.

Apparently it's the same set-up as the Yeti, using the same components, which is unfortunately well documented as being a bit of a disaster, especially when it comes to keeping the weather out.

If indeed the Kodiaq sunroof is the same as the Yeti, I would advise checking the    carpets especially the fronts after any rain shower just so you can get a warranty claim in to repair the roof ( not that dealers have had a good success rate at repairing leaks) before it needs new carpets etc.

Having had a Yeti with a sunroof which I really loved, but having to get the hairdryer out after it rained got tiresome so l made sure my next car didn’t have a sunroof.

I had one on a seat leon ST and there was definitely some issue with ingress into the spare wheel well. When they first looked at it they said that what was in the wheel well wasn't water (?) but whatever it was, it came back. (only liquid I had in the boot was a bottle of oil)

Is this down to the drainage tubes/holes then? 

We have a 16 year old mk4 Golf GTI with a sunroof and it seems VW (well most manufacturers) still use the same principle of having a drainage channel tube on each corner of the roof, front ones drain towards footwell/arch and rear ones drain in rear arch or just behind.  They get clogged up, the tubes disconnect etc etc.  When they do it causes a right mess and getting at them isn't always easy. 

Good to see that things have really evolved in the last 15-20 years. At least VW have kept on top of their diesel engine R&D and testing....oh wait....:notme:

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Good to see that things have really evolved in the last 15-20 years.

Not at BMW either - they do things the same way. A 525d Estate I had suffered from it and its a problem across many of the series.

Was nasty on the e61 525 estate - with the tube plugged the water dumped into the spare wheel well.  Especially nasty as that is where they'd decided to put a load of control modules and electrics....

• 10 months later...

I have a 6 month old Kodiaq and I have a leak. I think it could be coming from the panoramic roof as there nothing else obvious. It leaks at the back drivers side, and down the rear pillar. The car it parked on a slight slop on my driveway which would tend to send water to the back. Interested to read there has been a recall on some cars.....I will contact my dealer to get it sorted. 

Where is the water pooling?

There have been a couple of instances where the side spoilers (the vertical colour coded plastic strips attached to either side of the rear window) hold water, so that when the boot lid is opened they drain directly into the rubber tubes that feed the electrical wires from the bootlid to the main body of the car, just above the headlining.

From there it soaks the headlining and drains down the inside of the rearmost pillars into the boot area.

Since you have a sunroof though, that's where my money is going, they really are a flawed design.

Edited by silver1011

Hi silver1011, water is pooling in top of lining...then looks like it's running down pillar. As I said the car is parked on slop which might encourage water to go the back of car. It's not a massive amount but it's clearly not good 😞

Next time the boot is open, give the two central rubber feeds that house the electrical wires into the boot lid a squeeze, pictured here right at the top of the image either side of the central brake light...

Image result for skoda kodiaq boot space

If they're dry then at least you can rule them out, then you know it's the sunroof.

Edited by silver1011

• 3 years later...

@nigelrtaylorHave you asked them the price of them carrying out the sunroof service?

Maintenance is certainly required with sunroofs.

What are they saying about the AC, is that due a service as well @2 years, then the Oil & Inspection Service.

?

Could you service the sunroof yourself, maybe change the pollen filter as well and save yourself money?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486731-sunroof-maintenance

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/487623-sunroof-maintenance-questions

1884359385_Screenshot2022-04-2811_53_35.jpg.cc86be8ea41360e90a3524fb7b338997.jpg

2020-01-08_1834.webp2096461127_Screenshot2022-04-2811_58_00.jpg.0baebc2cce16bf3152d8fab563b08339.jpg

757510080_Screenshot2020-11-01at11_56_45.webp.4376e1042fed385c23883854a55c5006.webp

Edited by toot
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

Have you asked them the price of them carrying out the sunroof service?

I was assuming he'd had an advisory notice from Skoda saying some work was required... although admittedly this wasn't clear from his post... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My 2018my Kodiaq has started leaking water into the front footwell and whilst it’s had warranty work done on the heater recently, I’m pretty sure this one is down to a blocked sunroof drain.

Ive had a brief look at it but rain’s stopped play on that, however I’m struggling to locate where the drain holes are in the front corners to try and clear them. Can anyone point me in the direction of where exactly they are?