Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator

Anyone seen the warning as shown in the attached picture?  The warning keeps appearing, but all four tyres have not lost any pressure as tested with a meter.  I keep resetting the tyre pressure indicator, but the warning reappears.  The warning doesn't point towards a particular wheel, as the manual say it should, so maybe the fault is with the monitoring system.  The dealer said this is unheard of, so the car is booked in for investigation.

IMAG0125.jpg

Go into the actual TPMS and it will tell u specifically which tyre is causing the issue.

See below.

Alternatively, press that orange warning triangle on the pic u've shown - it will tell u wat the 2 faults are.

IMAG3006.thumb.jpg.f65865537cf2c148a5bf1d802ecbe459.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, but tried that - I should have explained in my original post.  Attached are pics of when I click on the orange warning triangle and the second pic is the TPLI.  There's not much to click on in the TPLI and it's a different layout to yours.  I accessed this through Car and Settings.

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

It's a common problem that has been brought up many times on this forum.

It usually occurs shortly after the TPMS has been (re)set.

My experience is that sometimes it will never generate a fault warning after a reset, whereas other times it will generate the fault a few times in short succession, requiring a TPMS reset each time, before it seems to settle down again.

It's a PITA I've learned to live with. There was an ABS software update a while ago but it hasn't cured it.

• Thanks 1

Had a few "false" alarms on my TPMS, the most recent being last week, the day after I got a tyre replaced. I stopped, checked all the tyres with my pressure guage and they were fine.  Reset the system and on I went.    I think the TPMS is very sensitive and picks up the slightest change in pressure.  

Still a good warning though in case of a genuine pressure loss, which did happen to me last year when I drove over a nail  :doh:.  I would not have known about this but for the pressure warning.  I checked the tyres with my guage and one was very low- had a look round the tyre and found the nail.  Pumped some air into it and limped to the puncture repair shop.

Same thing used to happen in my Audi A6 - many "false alarms" but a couple of genuine ones.  Good system.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mickey43 said:

I think the TPMS is very sensitive and picks up the slightest change in pressure.

our car doesn't contain any tire pressure sensors,
warning is calculated from wheels spin counting data from ABS computer

@StephenGallagher

several false alarms were the reason i blew up one tire,

recommending install DIRECT TPMS
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

i prefer 2017 model to 2018

https://www.drive2.com/b/515882335611126160/

22 hours ago, StephenGallagher said:

Thanks, but tried that - I should have explained in my original post.  Attached are pics of when I click on the orange warning triangle and the second pic is the TPLI.  There's not much to click on in the TPLI and it's a different layout to yours.  I accessed this through Car and Settings.

I don't know why urs is different, but my vehicle reports menu tells me specifically which tyre is shot.

So does my vehicle status view.

IMAG3179.thumb.jpg.cc94b352e8ee3efc1ee856f265e75a2a.jpgIMAG3001.thumb.jpg.b8147769408bdd029d2c0054ba7be5b5.jpg

Edited by JR RS

11 hours ago, JR RS said:

I don't know why urs is different, but my vehicle reports menu tells me specifically which tyre is shot.

So does my vehicle status view.

IMAG3179.thumb.jpg.cc94b352e8ee3efc1ee856f265e75a2a.jpgIMAG3001.thumb.jpg.b8147769408bdd029d2c0054ba7be5b5.jpg

I've had both messages.   The specific tyre warning (back near side in my case) happened when I had an actual puncture (nail in tyre).  The "all 4" message happened when it was like a "false" warning and no apparent pressure loss had happened.

I have a MY18 and have seen both the general warning (no specific tyre indicated) and where a specific tyre is indicated, the latter has always been a genuine indication while the former has often been a false or over sensitive indication where there has been a slight drop in pressure but not enough to enable the system to identify the tyre concerned, the general warning will sometimes turn into a specific tyre warning after a short period.

I believe the key to reducing the false activations is driving period immediately after setting the system, to my understanding, in this period it builds a reference to which it will compare the current status and indicates when it detects a difference between the.current status and the reference. I do not know how it builds the reference data, over what time, speed, distance, etc, but I do know that if I set the system after a visit to my local station and drive home approx. 6km, I will most certainly get false activation in the following days, where as if I set it just before a longer journey I do not get false activations.

@MartiniB's proposal of an active TPMS is particularly important if you have low profile tyres with reinforced sidewalls, which may not look deflated at a glance and the system in the Superb requires the wheels to be rotating before it can detect low pressure which may take a bit of a distance, this can be the difference between changing the wheel outside your house or at the side of the road.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2019 at 08:29, Mickey43 said:

Had a few "false" alarms on my TPMS, the most recent being last week, the day after I got a tyre replaced. I stopped, checked all the tyres with my pressure guage and they were fine.  Reset the system and on I went.    I think the TPMS is very sensitive and picks up the slightest change in pressure.  

Had my mismatched tyre replaced today [driver side rear] for a new ps4 and the guy who done my tyre said he pumped all the tyres to "eco" pressure [40psi].....within a couple of hours my tyre pressure warning light came on for the driver side front tyre. Went to garage and it was 2 psi lower than the other 3.

Im guessing the guy didnt inflate all the tyres to equal pressure and has been picked up by the sensor rather than an actual tyre pressure loss.

One things for certain, I LOVE my new car! VRS convert

Edited by Jimbojones83

Had 2 new rear tyres fitted last Friday (19 inch 235/40) and on Sunday, 15 miles down the A1(M), the low pressure warning came on. Before the tyres were changed, the old rears were at 'caravan towing' pressure (3.2 bar) and that was what the TPMS was 'set' at (with 2.8 front). On checking the pressures, I found them at 2.2 bar - well down on what they should have been. That was with the tyres warm too so the dealer had obviously under-inflated the tyres - they should have been 2.8 bar for 'normal' load. Anyway, I inflated both rears to 2.8 and checked the fronts too, then reset the TPMS. On the way home that afternoon, we had only gone about 4 miles when the warning came on again. I pulled into a convenient pub car park and checked all the pressures and they were fine. Reset the TPMS and it's been fine ever since.

Hi guys, 

I recently activated TPMS on a 2014 Octy 3  and ever since I activated it, the yellow warning sign appeard in the dash. I accesed the menu and when I press "Set", this message appears: " The function is not available" Any idea what's wrong?

2 hours ago, SneakyBandit said:

Hi guys, 

I recently activated TPMS on a 2014 Octy 3  and ever since I activated it, the yellow warning sign appeard in the dash. I accesed the menu and when I press "Set", this message appears: " The function is not available" Any idea what's wrong?

indirect-TPMS should be enabled by default, so i'm confused what u've "activated"?

even my mk2 Octavia had it by default.

wat i've heard of being enabled/activated is direct-TPMS.  i.e. u install sensors inside the wheel, install a TPMS module inside the dash, hook it up, and enable/activate by vcds coding.

8 hours ago, JR RS said:

indirect-TPMS should be enabled by default, so i'm confused what u've "activated"?

depends on country, in EU it's obligated since 2014.??.??, but in Russia that option still(2019) has to be activated by VCP or VCDS

32 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

depends on country, in EU it's obligated since 2014.??.??, but in Russia that option still(2019) has to be activated by VCP or VCDS

My bad.

In-direct TPMS has featured on VAG vehicles since the early 2000s, hence why I'm surprised.

Provided they have ABS, that is.

• 4 months later...

I'm now getting the error in post 3 (error: tyre pressure loss indicator). Happened last week after breaking hard. Manual says to have dealer investigate. Reset TPMS and it went away until this morning.

It's not the same as a duff warning as the TPMS light flashes for about a minute after starting the car then stays on.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this?

This is the error I get (with similar on the maxidot)

image.png.3f5e0980fe63edc8928e070edc7638d9.png

Happened again after leaving work. As soon as I got in the car it dinged and displayed the error. I reset the TPMS again and on this occasion the error cleared.  When I tried that approach this morning the error remained.

15 hours ago, unclerichy said:

This is the error I get (with similar on the maxidot)

Happened again after leaving work. As soon as I got in the car it dinged and displayed the error. I reset the TPMS again and on this occasion the error cleared.  When I tried that approach this morning the error remained.

The way i see is to get the tires inspected first. Resetting the unit under such circumstances is mainly for peace of mind but that does not solve/address the underlying issue.

I had a recent experience few days back.. It indicated the "Low tires pressure" error while driving.. parked the car inspect it few hours later and seem the tire is ok. Done a reset (yes yes for peace of mind). Next morning pump up the tire and while doing so the pressure is indeed low.. (normally 250 but meter show 199 only)

Drive to a workshop and they found a screw stuck.

Tyre pressure checked the first time it happened and all ok. Bear in mind this error is about the sensors themselves having problems sensing rather than just false reports of a tyre deflating,  Pressure drop is normally the warning and the light staying on. In this case the warning message is different and the light flashes for a minute then stays on.

No problems on today's commute though. Go figure :wondering:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, unclerichy said:

For completeness, after resetting the TPMS every morning before I set off to work (whether the error displayed or not) the error hasn't popped up again for a week.

I think that happens because at each each morning reset, you are telling the TPMS that "this is the new baseline".  If one of your tyres is losing pressure at 1lb a day,  then at the end of the week you could be 7lbs low on one of them but the system wont warn you, as you've been telling it, a lb at a time, that this is OK.

If you check the tyre pressure with a gauge and they are OK after this last week of not pumping them, then you have good evidence of a TPMS fault.

• Like 3