Buying a Skoda Superb - Biggest mistake!

So, 4 months into my Skoda Superb ownership and I can only say, beware of this car! It is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Error after error after error.

Bushings have failed, the headlights have failed, a lots of issues with the electronics, the infotainment system have failed, brakes(!) have failed and now it's time for a turbo failure. 

The car has roughly done 26 000 miles?! 

I have had BMWs, Volvo's, SAABs and a bunch of other cars. And cars that have been running  for150 000 miles without a single issue. The superb is a total nightmare.

My verdict: If you are looking for a new car, don't buy a Superb. This was my first and the last VAG car. I should have known better after all the scandals in this company. 

• Like 1

I'd echo Gizmo's comments as I've had mine just over 3 years, done nearly 93,000 miles and am only just getting a few things (creaking from suspension, interior fan squeaking a bit) which I'd put down to age.  To be fair I haven't got a lot of gadgets on my model to go wrong and throw up errors, and as it's a company car any cost isn't a major concern to my personal pocket.

This is the third VAG car I've had (after a 2007 Polo and 2011 Ibiza) and one of the reasons I was happy to go to a Skoda was down to the reliability of the previous cars.  Really sorry to hear your experience hasn't been so good.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

You can get a lemon with any manufacturer, unfortunately you seem to have one here.

I have done twice your mileage and fortunately the only issues to date are the chrome trim on the drivers door catching the rear door trim and the glove box rattling, both changed without quibble under the warranty. This is the problem with buying any new model (mine was delivered November 2015)

Yes i agree.

As a owner you need a good experience when buying such a expensive thing as a car. Statisticly, Skoda is probably not the worse nor the best. But for me, as a first time owner, it has been a nightmare. So my point of view is just totally based upon my experience with my car. But as you say, that does not mean that every superb is as mine. But i personally cannot recommend a car that for me has just been trouble after trouble.

Fortunately for me, my car is still under warranty so Skoda fixes everything for free. But im looking for a new car. If this continues after the warranty is out it will be a economical disaster.

• Like 1

That doesn’t sound encouraging. 

Personally, I’ve had mine two years and 49k miles. The only real issue is the load cover not retracting when cold. 

I now have another Superb on order. 

Sounds like this car was sold to you with the dealer knowing far well it was made on a Friday, before Christmas, the day after the Christmas party, when the agency supplied temporary workforce were in training. 

Im on my second Superb 3. The first was faultless in 20k miles. Current one has/does have trim issues but they are so minor that they can wait to be investigated when it’s service time. 

I think you’ve been very unlucky.  

Presume this was bought second hand.  A lot could be down to how the first owner treated it - has it ever been wet?

Mine is coming up to 2 years old and have just extended the lease for another year.  Only issue has been with the secondary coolant pumps.  

I would have another.

How many Superbs are being built each day at Skoda's factory? Each week?/month/year/since 2015?  More importantly, what is the extent and frequency of those issues you describe? The answers to those questions would provide a more solid and objective consumer advice (compared to a single lemon case) as to whether buying a Superb is a good decision or not vs. its alternatives.

I mean there are models with confirmed weaknesses, like things that will fail for a large percentage of owners under confirmed use scenarios or predicted mileage but this sounds nothing like it as it doesn't add up with the experiences of other owners.

Also, I don't know the exact nature of your issues or the history of the car as you were not the first owner so this opens up a few possibilities/causes for all that trouble which wouldn't apply to most buyers/cars, but I will take a guess and say that many of them (electronics, infotainment, headlights) couldn't have been a problem in your past cars simply due to lack of modern tech so again, a rather irrelevant comparison. Sure, in the end for you a Skoda was the car that gave you the more trouble and it's understood but there is a "you" (or more) for every brand out there. Would equivalent cases, that can be easily found online about almost every model deter you from your next car choice? I guess not. At least all of your issues were covered under warranty.

17 hours ago, Bob-thebuilder said:

So, 4 months into my Skoda Superb ownership and I can only say, beware of this car! It is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Error after error after error.

Bushings have failed, the headlights have failed, a lots of issues with the electronics, the infotainment system have failed, brakes(!) have failed and now it's time for a turbo failure. 

The car has roughly done 26 000 miles?! 

I have had BMWs, Volvo's, SAABs and a bunch of other cars. And cars that have been running  for150 000 miles without a single issue. The superb is a total nightmare.

My verdict: If you are looking for a new car, don't buy a Superb. This was my first and the last VAG car. I should have known better after all the scandals in this company. 

What version of the Superb have you got, Bob? When you say failures, do you mean that the brakes have actually failed to function? And how did you buy - dealer/supermarket, new/used?

I’m with others on this one - failures on this scale should see the vehicle being rejected and you getting your money back. Sounds like the last one off the production line on the Friday before Christmas!

@Bob-thebuilder

There is not enough information about the issues themselves and about the cause of the issues with your car. Certainly not enough to condemn the whole VAG group. While personally I don't like Volkswagen strategy at all, I don't kill the entire group. Skoda and Audi are on top of VW cars. On the other hand, the more complex the car is, the more issues can arise.

As above, there is not enough information as to what models it is, how old it is, has it got any service history,or has it been damaged and repaired? was it bought new or secondhand? And if it was secondhand surely the previous owner could have contributed to the faults that you seem reluctant to divulge in any detail. 

On 10/02/2019 at 18:37, Bob-thebuilder said:

You bought a 5-month old secondhand car with some 21,747 miles / 35,000 kms on the clock. Stop blaming Skoda and the Superb!

On 22/10/2018 at 07:22, Bob-thebuilder said:

And yeah, it has done about 21 747 miles (35 000 km). And the price tag was 18500 euro (~16300 GBP).

The car is still under warranty (7 months left) but I'm thinking of getting it remapped immediately. All of my other turbo cars have been remapped by a close friend of mine with great result. But those have been out of warranty. Should I wait? 

Edited by Arkaig

On 10/02/2019 at 18:37, Bob-thebuilder said:

Bushings have failed, the headlights have failed, a lots of issues with the electronics, the infotainment system have failed, brakes(!) have failed and now it's timefor a turbo failure. 

Looking through your other numerous posts on this Forum, you've clearly been messing about yourself in Sweden with the headlights. electronics and infotainment system, as to the turbo failure and your intended remapping ....

Seems to me you've only yourself to blame.

Wow many questions :D

Lets see...

# Previous owner: Had the car for about 2 years. Drove 35 000 km. Service at a Skoda dealer.

# I bought the car from a Skoda dealer.

# The errors that ive had/have:

- Left headlight do not auto adjust

- Flashing glow plug light. Some kind of sensor was out.

- New infotainment system installed

- Brake calipers were stuck (all 4)

- Front assist radar broken

- Turbo failure

# Skoda Superb 2016 (man. date 2015.07)

# 2.0 TDI CRLB Manual gearbox

# Trimlevel: style