Creaking/clicking steering during low-speed manoeuvres

Item

As per title, whenever I am parking or otherwise slowly manoeuvring, I get a clicking or creaking from the steering when I turn the wheel. It is pretty quiet and I can't work out if it is coming from within the steering column itself or from deeper in the front of the car. I have no other issues and everything works fine. I mentioned it during my last service and they said everything was fine.

Is this normal or something to investigate further?

2 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

Yes it's normal, combination of suspension and steering parts operating at the limits of their travel. 

Ta - it doesn't do it at full lock but actually only whilst the steering wheel is turning.

Sounds like it still probably isn't anything to worry about...

My car made a similar noise when making slow maneuvers.  Turned out to be a faulty steering rack.  Quoted just over £1200 but reduced to £780 as goodwill. Fortunately, I have a Skoda Extended warranty, which covered it.  

Hmm - well that sounds less reassuring. My warranty is just expired,  but I did ask them to look at it last time, so would assume they should still cover.

I might take it back in and get another review...

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, 

I’m in the process of having a similar low speed creaking noise investigated. Happens when turning during parking and makes a faint creaking sort of noise which is definitely coming from the steering system somewhere. Car went in for initial diagnosis and confirmed that something was up with the steering. Back again for 2 days (thought that they were actually changing the steering rack - as I was led to believe) where “some parts” (undisclosed) had been changed and the noise was still there. Now I’ve been told that the rack needs replacing but authorization from Skoda was required (presumably warranty department) then the steering rack would need to be ordered then car back in for, frankly what I thought was going to be done in the first place.

There was never any question that this was warranty work from the dealership and I’ll update here when it’s all done. It was one of those noises that I was going to ignore but since I only had 2 months of warranty left, thought I’d get it checked just Incase - really glad I did.

Looks like I’m not the only one having these issues. After first visit some components were replaced, no improvement. Second visit yesterday diagnosed steering rack. Having the rack replaced under warranty in a few weeks. Warranty runs out end of May so not letting this issue go on!!!

Got confirmation today that a new steering rack is waiting for me. Booked in for the work on the 9 May. The dealership have been really good - haven’t had to chase anyone and they kept me in the loop. Will update when the work is complete, hopefully with no more creaking - except from my knees ;-)

On 25/04/2019 at 22:20, Turnandslip said:

Hi guys, 

I’m in the process of having a similar low speed creaking noise investigated. Happens when turning during parking and makes a faint creaking sort of noise which is definitely coming from the steering system somewhere. Car went in for initial diagnosis and confirmed that something was up with the steering. Back again for 2 days (thought that they were actually changing the steering rack - as I was led to believe) where “some parts” (undisclosed) had been changed and the noise was still there. Now I’ve been told that the rack needs replacing but authorization from Skoda was required (presumably warranty department) then the steering rack would need to be ordered then car back in for, frankly what I thought was going to be done in the first place.

There was never any question that this was warranty work from the dealership and I’ll update here when it’s all done. It was one of those noises that I was going to ignore but since I only had 2 months of warranty left, thought I’d get it checked just Incase - really glad I did.

Yeah this definitely sounds like my issue.

Bugger. Looks like I will need to take it in and hope given that I reported it before the warranty expired that they will extend some goodwill and sort it if it is indeed the steering rack!

• 3 weeks later...

So I took it in and they did a thorough investigation...they have concluded that the steering is all good and the issue is the suspension top mounts...

They are applying for Good Will resolution from Skoda NZ and hopefully I will hear back this week.

*shrug*

Update: Had the car in this week for the steering rack replacement for 2 days, phoned late in the second day as we had not heard and they said the steering rack replacement did not cure the fault, kept the car for another day to change more items. Collected the car the following day and found out they had changed the top mounts as well as other small items. 

Fault cured....well so I thought!!! Drove it tonight and knocking has come back. 

Phone call to dealer again Monday!!!

• 1 month later...

So we have agreement for a goodwill replacement. Car booked in for next Friday to do that along with the "Leave in P" gear-switch issue.

Giltrap Skoda in Auckland continue to be a good dealer for me.

Mine does it, the last two have done it. Am I worried about it? Nah.

It'll get mentioned when I take it for a service, they may lubricate it, but it handles fine at all speeds so nothing to concern me.