Mode resets back to normal every time I switch off

Tell me I'm not going mad...

My new 245 VRS (picked up last week) does NOT remember the mode when selected using the VRS Mode button.  Whatever mode I choose (Eco, Comfort, Sport or Individual) it resets back to 'normal' when I switch off the ignition - even if just for a few seconds).  This cannot be right and others on the new 245 owners thread have confirmed that their cars do remember the mode.   I cannot believe that every time I switch off the ignition I have to go into the mode selector to choose the mode I want to drive in.  This wasn't the case with my previous 2 Skodas

But my car has been into the dealer today (to sort out another problem) and they are absolutely adamant that the car cannot be changed in any way to make it remember the mode I have selected.  Every single time I get in the car and drive off I have to reset the mode to the mode I want to drive in.  When I queried this the bloke I was talking to asked me why I thought he would be lying to me.  It is not that I thought he was lying but simply that I didn't believe he was correct in what he was saying.

Not happy.

Edited by jonjc

Official update after visit to service dept:

"All models with DSG since 22/2017 - vehicle is switched over to D after ignition reset.  From week 22/2017 - if the Sport or Eco driving modes are selected, the power unit is switched over to normal mode after cycling the ignition.

This is due to a 'homologation requirement'.

This is not a fault."  

Well that is very annoying and I still don't believe that there is absolutely nothing that the service dept could have done about it.  And there was no need for the service bloke to get all uppity about it as if I was accusing him of lying when I questioned it.  That really wasn't the case - I simply couldn't believe or accept that it was right for something so stupid to be the case and that there was nothing to be done about it.  When setting off, every time, I have to press the VRS Mode button (I can probably do that without looking away from the road but It's an extra call on my attention as I take my left hand off the wheel).  I then need to take my eyes off the road to cycle through or press the mode I want (usually 'Individual').  Every single time I start up - forever.  And when I forget to choose the mode I want I'll be thinking - 'this doesn't feel or sound quite right' until I remember that I'm pottering along in normal mode instead of my chosen 'individual mode'.  NOT Clever.

And they wouldn't reinstate the lock/unlock chirp either.

Still love the car though.  

This is mildly annoying, I have to switch to comfort mode every time I start up at home, the roads here are the exact types of road that are the reason I went for DCC.

I re-enabled my chirp last week using OBDeleven, I was missing it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

Hmmm mine stays the mode i set it in. I had it in sport for a while but didn't like the noise generator so I switched it off in Individual.

Snap and again confirms it remembers the driving mode over the last weekend too. I now use similar Sport 'lite' mode without the heavy steering or stupid fake noise on individual. Car remembers whatever mode I put it in.

Noting the DSG always reverts to D mode (if it was previously in Sport) after ignition cycle and needs to be manually enabled with the D/S selector but we've agreed that is expected behaviour.

So - both SimonD316 and Scotty72 have cars built since 22/2017 and their cars remember the mode setting.  The plot thickens.  Baffling variability in this and not simply a blanket change since 22/2017.  I've sent off a message the Skoda Customer Care but I'm not hopeful of a resolution. 

But I really don't like being treated as if I'm stupid by the dealer service dept when I raise a legitimate concern about something that I really don't think is right.

22 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Noting the DSG always reverts to D mode (if it was previously in Sport) after ignition cycle and needs to be manually enabled with the D/S selector but we've agreed that is expected behaviour.

This. I wouldn't want to start in sport first thing in the morning until, and usually wait until the engine's warmed up before switching it over

Just now, jonjc said:

So - both SimonD316 and Scotty72 have cars built since 22/2017 and their cars remember the mode setting.  The plot thickens.  Baffling variability in this and not simply a blanket change since 22/2017.  I've sent off a message the Skoda Customer Care but I'm not hopeful of a resolution. 

But I really don't like being treated as if I'm stupid by the dealer service dept when I raise a legitimate concern about something that I really don't think is right.

Maybe ask to check one of their used or demonstrators to see i that does it... or maybe visit another dealer? 

* Mine and Scotty's cars were from stock, but both built after 22/2017.

18 minutes ago, jonjc said:

Can you make a quick video on your phone showing this? I would be happy to do similar share on here

My 68 plate 1.5TSI remembers the driving mode settings, it's only the DSG that reverts back to "D" after an ignition cycle.

I would find this annoying if I wanted to use Eco mode a lot as with the gear stick you can only toggle between "D" and "S".

I leave my car in sport mode with "D" set on the gearbox and I just knock the box into "S" when I want to pull away quickly or overtake something.

4 hours ago, SimonD316 said:

* According to the My Skoda app by VRS was built on 25/09/2018 which I think would be Build week 39/2018

Funny mine is showing that same date via my skoda app when I've added my car via its vin. I guess it's possible?

Edited by Scotty72

17 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Funny mine is showing that same date via my skoda app when I've added my car via its vin. I guess it's possible?

IIRC yours was bought from stock, as was mine. It's likely Skoda UK had the build slots reserved months before in the expectation of WLTP approval late summer. It took longer than expected so rather than pull the builds, the cars were built and stored awaiting their new owners. The day I collected mine another one was leaving, same colour but manual gearbox.

18 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

IIRC yours was bought from stock, as was mine. It's likely Skoda UK had the build slots reserved months before in the expectation of WLTP approval late summer. It took longer than expected so rather than pull the builds, the cars were built and stored awaiting their new owners. The day I collected mine another one was leaving, same colour but manual gearbox.

Mine was a pre-exisiting factory build slot I inherited for my PCH which was for VWFS - broker I used works on behalf of VWFS to make these 'introductions'/deals. My car was built and shipped and waited for WLTP approval before it could be PDI'd and delivered to me so that caused approx 1 month delay. Which I why I got it in Nov and not in Oct 2018.

On 11/02/2019 at 17:07, Scotty72 said:

Can you make a quick video on your phone showing this? I would be happy to do similar share on here

Not sure what it will add to what I've written but here is a video of the car with ignition on in Individual mode (seen on infotainment top left, Mode selection screen and the gear mode on the maxidot) - then switching ignition off and on again and the mode reverting to normal - (again seen on infotainment top left, Mode selection screen and the gear mode on the maxidot).   Poor quality video to keep the file size down but I think it's clear what's going on...

19 minutes ago, jonjc said:

Not sure what it will add to what I've written but here is a video of the car with ignition on in Individual mode (seen on infotainment top left, Mode selection screen and the gear mode on the maxidot) - then switching ignition off and on again and the mode reverting to normal - (again seen on infotainment top left, Mode selection screen and the gear mode on the maxidot).   Poor quality video to keep the file size down but I think it's clear what's going on...

Mode not remembered.wmv

Your video makes it very clear it's just not remembering the driving mode selection, this is way beyond dsg gearbox switching back to D from S ignition cycle. Mine and others simply just remember the driving mode. So according to your skoda dealer our cars are at fault no? :)

2 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Your video makes it very clear it's just not remembering the driving mode selection, this is way beyond dsg gearbox switching back to D from S ignition cycle. Mine and others simply just remember the driving mode. So according to your skoda dealer our cars are at fault no? :)

Indeed.  My dealer was quoting from a Skoda technical Webinar dated Feb 2018 (with a print out for proof) that stated that Drive mode must not be remembered but reset to normal with each ignition cycle.  So yes - your cars are 'wrong'  by that standard and mine is 'right' - so perhaps you should demand that your cars are fixed to make them like mine! :blink: 

Perhaps I've got old stock that adheres to a rule that your cars were not subject to (or vice versa) - but all our cars were built within weeks of each other.

On 11/02/2019 at 19:52, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

My 68 plate 1.5TSI remembers the driving mode settings, it's only the DSG that reverts back to "D" after an ignition cycle.

I would find this annoying if I wanted to use Eco mode a lot as with the gear stick you can only toggle between "D" and "S".

I leave my car in sport mode with "D" set on the gearbox and I just knock the box into "S" when I want to pull away quickly or overtake something.

Exactly the same with my 1.5 DSG  , leave it in sport all the time , even comes up on the infotainment screen top left hand corner ,

My 67 plate 1.5TSi DSG does remember the mode settings - I just wish it would also remember the last setting of the "stop/start" button - but that's another topic.

Good choice of model and colour johnmb.

Update on this:

Response from Skoda UK

I have investigated this further and can clarify that due to the homologation requirements previously specified by Robert Eardley and Sons Stoke that the present drive modes will reset to Normal when the vehicle is idle. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to override this. I do apologise for the disappointment this may cause.

We appreciate all customer feedback regarding our vehicles and we aim to continually improve and innovate the products and services that we offer our customers.  

Your enquiry has reached ŠKODA UK Head Office; our role as an importer to the UK is to provide sales and after sales care. Unfortunately, we have no input to the design process. Our parent company, ŠKODA-Auto is responsible for the design of our vehicles. I have forwarded your comments to them for their consideration. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can ensure that we reach the high standards to which we aspire.   

Thank you for taking the time to contact ŠKODA UK.

So, basically they can't/won't do a thing about it.  And it still doesn't explain the inconsistency of other Octavias built within weeks/days of mine not reseting to normal when the ignition is cycled.  The thing itself is annoying enough but the 'can't do and don't care' attitude of the Skoda organisation about this is enough for me to consider looking for a different make of car next time.  I simply do not believe that this can't be fixed.  It's a matter of 'won't' rather than 'can't'.

The only other thing I wondered about is whether my car having DCC makes a difference?  Any new 245 Octavia VRS owners with DCC noticed their mode resetting to 'normal' on ignition cycle.

33 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

@jonjc sorry to say mate but the DCC goes in line with the mode setting, so if the car reverts to 'normal' the DCC does too, regardless of which mode you leave it in. Thats how it works in my MY19 245

Yes - I realise that only too well.  What I meant was...  Do those people whose cars remember the mode have DCC.   I'm trying to fathom out how some cars built within days/weeks of mine do remember the mode when the ignition is switched off.   Perhaps having DCC is associated with this awful policy of the car forgetting the mode when I switch off.  Does DCC mean that the mode resets to normal while not having DCC means that mode is remembered? 

2 hours ago, jonjc said:

Yes - I realise that only too well.  What I meant was...  Do those people whose cars remember the mode have DCC.   I'm trying to fathom out how some cars built within days/weeks of mine do remember the mode when the ignition is switched off.   Perhaps having DCC is associated with this awful policy of the car forgetting the mode when I switch off.  Does DCC mean that the mode resets to normal while not having DCC means that mode is remembered? 

My car (MY17 245vRS) remembers & retains the mode for all settings EXCEPT in DSG