Mode resets back to normal every time I switch off

I have one of the older ones which remembers driving mode.

I have a question for those whose cars which don't remember though:

Can you change mode without using the Touchscreen - eg. pushing the Mode button 3(?) times to get from Normal to Individual?

5 hours ago, DavidY said:

I have one of the older ones which remembers driving mode.

I have a question for those whose cars which don't remember though:

Can you change mode without using the Touchscreen - eg. pushing the Mode button 3(?) times to get from Normal to Individual?

Yes - I can cycle through the modes by repeatedly pressing the mode button.  This makes it easier to do without looking - to move from  normal would indeed be three presses.   One to bring up the mode screen and two to move to individual. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jonjc said:

Yes - I can cycle through the modes by repeatedly pressing the mode button.  This makes it easier to do without looking - to move from  normal would indeed be three presses.   One to bring up the mode screen and two to move to individual. 

Thanks for that - my older one doesn't do that when I repeatedly press the Mode button - I have to push Mode and then select on the Touchscreen to change mode. At least, as you say, you can change without looking/ taking eyes too far off the road.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This is my prototype electronics to solve this annoying problem in my new MY19 Octavia.

After powering up it waits 5 seconds then simulates 3x button press which will switch the driving mode to 'Individual' for me.

The relay output has to be connected in paralell to the MODE switch and the Arduino needs ignition activated 5 Volts.

The only issue at the moment is that the relay is loud. I will try to put it in a sound insulated box or something.

Edited by aki78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aki78 said:

This is my prototype electronics to solve this annoying problem in my new MY19 Octavia.

After powering up it waits 5 seconds then simulates 3x button press which will switch the driving mode to 'Individual' for me.

The relay output has to be connected in paralell to the MODE switch and the Arduino needs ignition activated 5 Volts.

The only issue at the moment is that the relay is loud. I will try to put it in a sound insulated box or something.

How is the switch operated? 12v signal to ground? 5v?

You may be able to use 1/2 transistor/s to do the same thing, with no noise, rather than an electromechanical relay.

20 hours ago, micro said:

How is the switch operated? 12v signal to ground? 5v?

You may be able to use 1/2 transistor/s to do the same thing, with no noise, rather than an electromechanical relay.

OK, after some measurements I figured out that I probably don't need the relay module.

The MODE button has 2 terminals, one of them is simply the common ground. Let's call the other one signal. When the button is pressed the 2 terminals are shorted.

Checked with an ammeter and only 0,9 mA passes through the button when it's pressed.

I was also able to operate the system with a resistor connected to the 2 terminals. The highest value which still worked was 330 Ohms. So it seems that some loss (resistance) is not a problem.

I have modded this circuit: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Vibration-motor-circuit.php and it seems to work. :)

It draws only about 20 mA and 99,9% of it is the Arduino Pro Mini itself. When I remove the other components the current draw drops only by 0.1 mA. <--- Measured without connecting it to the car.

The LED and it's resistor is not needed, it's only for demonstration.

When it simulates button press I can measure about 8 Ohms / 30 mV between E and C. When I short the two legs (as the MODE button will do) nothing wrong happens (no smoke, no higher current draw).
Bonus: the Arduino jumper cables fit perfectly in the connectors so I don't need to modify the factory wiring.

Testing with the 'old' relay circuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiQzeCt7oX4

Testing with resistor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYMBWeLKdw

And with the 'new' transistor circuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZvm3xePsbU

The Arduino code looks like this:

void setup() {
  // Arduino button press simulator
  // 3 short press after 5 sec waiting
pinMode(7, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
delay(5000);
digitalWrite(7,HIGH);
delay(200);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
delay(200);
digitalWrite(7,HIGH);
delay(200);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
delay(200);
digitalWrite(7,HIGH);
delay(200);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN;
}

void loop() {
}

This is my circuit now.

Experts: is it safe to use??

circuit.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

I have a 2019 Superb and it definitely always reverts to N from E after the ignition is turned off and back on; which means I have to press the Mode button multiple times every time I get in the car This is a rather annoying aspect of an otherwise great car. It should stay in Eco mode and it's hard to believe that Skoda could not make a minor modification to correct this if they wished to. Also the car reverts to engine cut off at idle when the engine is turned off and on - again it should remain in the mode it was set to.

I believe start/stop has never remembered it's setting, but this can be disabled with ObdEleven or VCDS. Ive got used to mine now.

Maybe in the future someone will find the Long coding/adaptation for the mode memory.

Belt and braces approach! I do love a little bit more than just aesthetic changes 😛

Have toyed with the idea of enabling me to remove the ignition key with the ignition remaining on - think having to stop on a dark road where you want the lights to remain on (and maybe other ancillaries). Similar to how emergency vehicles remain running, except just keeping the ignition/accessories on not necessarily the engine.

• 5 months later...

@aki78

I want to do this on my MY20 Kodiaq.

I’m well versed in electronics but struggling to understand exactly what you plugged where in the car.

I get that the white/black go into the button terminals to put it in parallel with it, but where are you picking up a 5V ignition switched live from? I can’t see where the red plug ends up in your pics.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, JoseDB said:

@aki78

I want to do this on my MY20 Kodiaq.

I’m well versed in electronics but struggling to understand exactly what you plugged where in the car.

I get that the white/black go into the button terminals to put it in parallel with it, but where are you picking up a 5V ignition switched live from? I can’t see where the red plug ends up in your pics.

Thanks!

You need a 12V -> 5V adapter for the Arduino.

I installed mine next to the fuse box & connected it to an ignition live terminal via a fuse.

My voltage converter has USB outlet so I can unplug my tricky device every time the car goes in for service (which I did last week).

I believe the initial delay (3 sec) can be lowered in the Arduino code. Sometimes the headunit wakes up very fast and pops up the MODE selection screen.

• Thanks 1

Awesome thanks.

It looks like 2 other pins are direct jumpered between the plug and socket. I presume these are for one of the other buttons on the panel?

And both black cables are soldered to the same common ground pin as the transistor emitter right?

For sure I’d think the delay can be lowered based on my tests of how fast I can hit the button 3 times as soon as I press the ignition button. I can get it into individual before the virtual dash has even displayed the mode symbol yet.

On 11/02/2019 at 16:50, SimonD316 said:

Maybe ask to check one of their used or demonstrators to see i that does it... or maybe visit another dealer? 

* Mine and Scotty's cars were from stock, but both built after 22/2017.

Just been reading this post and thought if a dealer told me something I thought was wrong, the first question I'd be asking myself is does this working in other similar cars?  But then came across the reply from SimonD316 which nobody has replied to.

So did the OP ever check other cars in the dealers stock?

I have a Jun 2017 facelift SE-L and I've set Individual mode to emulate ECO mode + the steering from Sport mode. When I use my key, the car starts up in the mode I last used, and when others use their key, it starts up in the mode they last used.

Edited by Guest

• 7 months later...

I believe driver mode reset/memory is down to the CAN gateway software version. I'm currently trying to find which is the newest version which doesn't reset to normal.

@SimonD316, @Scotty72 and @VRS_White_Hatch, do any of you know which CAN gateway your cars have? If you've ever had a VCDS autoscan done, it'll be mentioned in there. Other software such as OBDeleven should also report it.

I think @SimonD316 may have VCDS? If you do, can you drop me a PM as it would be very helpful to see an autoscan and adaption maps for a MY19 vRS :)

The reset of drive mode is with all gateway version HW 5xx. The resetting is new feature, because of emission tests.

5 hours ago, langers2k said:

I'm currently trying to find which is the newest version which doesn't reset to normal.

The newest gateway without resetting of drive mode is HW442 with software index AC, version 4388 (for Octavia).

Edited by Krosta
Specification of information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't find any stock Octavia autoscans (on rosstech forums) with 5xx gateways fitted - the only examples are obvious retrofits. I'm happy to believe that 5xx gateways reset to normal but I can't find much evidence that were stock fitment for the Octavia.

There newest scans seem to have the 4xx AC version which makes me think it doesn't support driving mode memory.

In this thread https://octavia-rs.com/thread/27496-fahrprofilauswahl-wird-nicht-gespeichert/ which is slightly unclear (google translate) but to me, it suggests Q or AA might be a safer bet.

While I believe you're probably right and appreciate the input, I was hoping to confirm with some MY19 owners where it definitely works :)

• Like 1

This is mine if it helps:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels:| 3Q0-907-530-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AA    HW: 3Q0 907 530 C
   Component: GW MQB High   442 4368  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: 000.......
   Coding: 030100047F085900EB0002CA9C0F00010001070000000000000000000000

16 minutes ago, simion_levi said:

This is my MY20 245 Challenge, appears to be HW442 4388 and guessing AC from the sw string too. Drive mode is automatically reset

Oh, so sorry for this mystification. I believed, that only from HW5xx the drive mode is resetting.

In the light of that information, I can confirm, that with HW442  (software index L version 4326) is drive mode not automatically set to normal.

image.png.8f20bf9f2d4e292d1a46da7d0ffd6842.png

@aki78 - I assume your car resets to normal as you've fitted a 'magic box' to fix it?

I have a 3Q0907530L HW436 SW:4326 which currently doesn't reset to normal (remembers the setting).

@Krosta - it looks like your 3Q0907530L gateway has been downgraded as HW442 is normally a AA, AC or AG index. Can you confirm that?

Just need to find someone with a Q index ;)