2016 vRS Sound When Cold??

Can anyone advised me if their 2016 petrol (220) vRS sounds like this when cold?

I think its rattling and doesn't sound right, but my Skoda dealers are saying its fine. It never used to sound this tinny and the rattle was quieter. Want to see what other people views are please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahhyjcyt5rbimyl/Video 14-02-2019%2C 07 25 45.mov?dl=0

Edited by FletchCossie

4 hours ago, FletchCossie said:

Can anyone advised me if their 2016 petrol (220) vRS sounds like this when cold?

I think its rattling and doesn't sound right, but my Skoda dealers are saying its fine. It never used to sound this tinny and the rattle was quieter. Want to see what other people views are please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahhyjcyt5rbimyl/Video 14-02-2019%2C 07 25 45.mov?dl=0

I cant say i have ever noticed the noise myself...

Did you have the bonnet open when you recorded the video?

I held the camera by the drivers side lower sill, outside of the car. The bonnet was closed.

The car never used to sound like this and has got worse over the past few months. When I started it yesterday after a few days of not being driven it sounded horrible and worse than this video. I was at a Skoda dealership at the time and the service manager wanted me to compare it to his 245 vRS as apparently that rattles when cold too, but I would rather experiences from 220 owners if that makes sense?

My old petrol Zetec and my current VRS 220 does this...for a few seconds.  I think it's the hydrostatic oil pressure building in the valves in the cylinder head.  If it rattles on start up when hot or continuously then perhaps there's an issue. 

Edited by Redboy
Add info
  • Like 1

Yeah i know what you mean. Ill check mine out tonight as i havent used it since 2 weeks ago so will defo be cold. 

Will video it for you,..

This car has a timing chain from memory not belt. So could it be that?? Would be ideally benefit you if you go to another dealership and just ask them to listen as well?

Don't know if it helps, but this is my 2015 vRS from cold just now.  It's missing the initial 'buzz' that Redboy refers to (oil pressure building) as like an idiot I got in and started it, before remembering what I went out there for! :notme:

Phone in exactly the same place as FC's.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

16 hours ago, Redboy said:

My old petrol Zetec and my current VRS 220 does this...for a few seconds.  I think it's the hydrostatic oil pressure building in the valves in the cylinder head.  If it rattles on start up when hot or continuously then perhaps there's an issue. 

Thanks Redboy, this sounds like its coming from under the car/exhaust more than the engine though?

16 hours ago, Madmax889 said:

Yeah i know what you mean. Ill check mine out tonight as i havent used it since 2 weeks ago so will defo be cold. 

Will video it for you,..

This car has a timing chain from memory not belt. So could it be that?? Would be ideally benefit you if you go to another dealership and just ask them to listen as well?

Thank you, that would be appreciated :) Ive been to 3 dealers for other issues and completely fed up with them to be honest. Very long story, but the 3 Ive been to have either lied to me, taken my car on a 100 mile joy ride or left a coolant host nose attached properly causing the car to overheat when it popped off (Luckily I turned it off straight away). So I dont trust dealers at present lol Thinking about it 2 of the dealers were made aware of this problem and failed to even look at it.

14 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Don't know if it helps, but this is my 2015 vRS from cold just now.  It's missing the initial 'buzz' that Redboy refers to (oil pressure building) as like an idiot I got in and started it, before remembering what I went out there for! :notme:

Gaz

IMG_1398.MOV

Perfect, thank you. I will have a listen as soon as I get a chance :) I appreciate your effort though.

It kinda sounds like a very small exhaust leak, muffler baffle or perhaps a loose hanger which would probably go away once the exhaust heats up

might be worth checking the exhaust 

On 14/02/2019 at 18:48, V6TDI said:

Gaz

IMG_1398.MOV

Hi Gaz, I finally got round to listening to yours and it sounds very different to mine. Thank you :) 

On 18/02/2019 at 05:05, StealthRS245 said:

It kinda sounds like a very small exhaust leak, muffler baffle or perhaps a loose hanger which would probably go away once the exhaust heats up

might be worth checking the exhaust 

Thats what Im thinking, but Ive got the costs of a new exhaust system today and do not fancy replacing it. Ive asked for this to be looked into under warranty, but apparently there is no fault according to 2 Skoda dealers. I will have to get under it and check myself :) 

On 18/02/2019 at 07:34, Swirly182 said:

My 2018 245 makes a similar noise but only at low revs when driving, not at idle. Disappears after 2 mins when something gets warmer...?! 

Thanks, Im going to have to listen to it when its warm and see if it goes away, just need a long enough drive first lol

On 18/02/2019 at 20:57, MoggyTech said:

Cat pre heat cycle. 

Thanks, why would this cause a noise?

On 19/02/2019 at 08:37, Supe said:

Normal sound, i have been 2014&2018 RS TSI and both have same sound

Thank you, sounds like its normal for some cars :)