Temperature going down?!

Hi all, just had my 2014 Mk3 TDi VRS suffer the dreaded overheating issue caused by the waterpump. I've just got it back today after taking it to an independant garage and having the termostat, waterpump and cam belt replaced and now when I drive it, oil temp gets up to 70-80c, but the coolant needle on the dash just seems to drop and drop. When I'm idling at traffic lights it does go up a bit, but never past a quarter or so. On the motorway in 6th at 70mph, it dropped all the way to 50c as if the engine wasn't even switched off, and if I pout the heaters on max, they're not getting to melt your face off temperature. I've taken it back to the garage and they're at a loss, having replaced both the termostat and water pump. Any ideas what else could be wrong, and is it safe to drive in the current state?

I've taken it out today and after 20 miles the coolant gauge barely left 50c and the oil temp never got above 60c. Not much heat from the heaters, so definitely looks like a thermostat issue.

My issue is that I need to do 300 miles tomorrow before I can take it back to the garage, am I likely to damage it, or just go through loads of diesel?