High Milage

My 2004 vrs estate now has 145000 miles on the clock with full service history. On original clutch and exhaust and brake lines. uses no oil or water and apart from the usual locking problem still runs like a dream. was thinking of getting rid this year for a newer model but its due a cambelt change and im beginning to think if it aint broke don't fix it ie do the cam belt and keep running it but what sort of milage does this engine do reliability wise. I know this is an open ended question but I hear all sorts of stories for these mk 1,s doing nearly 200,000 miles if serviced well, which seems a lot for a petrol engine of this era.

• Like 1

Do the cambelt and keep it going! :) Mine's an '03 and just passed 153k miles and for the most part it's been great. Has never let me down, besides a coil pack breaking about a mile from home and me having to limp it back. The rear exhaust mounts lasted until 149950 miles; so close! :D Now running a nice Jetex catback. It's still on the original clutch, as far as I'm aware, and seems fine.

In terms of all-rounders I can't say there's a better car for the money to be honest. I'm hoping to get mine to the magical 200,000 miles. The engine is pretty much standard and I aim to keep it that way but just keeping on top of regular maintenance and servicing (particularly oil changes) should see mega mileage without too much difficulty. :)

Edit: Oh and of course mine has the usual central locking issues too. I try to use the key in the door for the most part. 

Edited by Passeyfier
  • Like 1

Neighbour had a visitor yesterday on my day off and it was a 2003 Mk1 Octavia Vrs in Black with standard Spider alloys and green brake calipers. Yes it needed a good clean for the bodywork but looked prettty sound for a near 16 year old car. Hope mines still running on the original clutch after 150,000 miles.:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 13:20, pistonbroke1 said:

My 2004 vrs estate now has 145000 miles on the clock with full service history. ...

.....but I hear all sorts of stories for these mk 1,s doing nearly 200,000 miles 

At 145k miles it's just run in. This era of engine is simple and robust. Newer models introduce direct injection and then cam chains etc - earlier version of these newer design engines had issues. If the body,interior etc is good then it's a keeper- keep an eye on radiator surround, front subframe and rear suspension bar/arms . For me I use Owatrol oil painted on to preserve - amazing stuff, easy to apply/ soakes in / stays there, not cheap though.

My (well my sons now)  old 1.4 poverty spec mkI is still going strong at 18 years old (131k miles)  - infact just passed its MOT today, yay!

Edited by bigjohn

15 hours ago, bigjohn said:

At 145k miles it's just run in. This era of engine is simple and robust. Newer models introduce direct injection and then cam chains etc - earlier version of these newer design engines had issues. If the body,interior etc is good then it's a keeper- keep an eye on radiator surround, front subframe and rear suspension bar/arms . For me I use Owatrol oil painted on to preserve - amazing stuff, easy to apply/ soakes in / stays there, not cheap though.

My (well my sons now)  old 1.4 poverty spec mkI is still going strong at 18 years old (131k miles)  - infact just passed its MOT today, yay!

I'm not sure about simple - there are a lot of hoses, sensors and valves that can cause problems. A turbo engine is always going to be more complicated than a N/A engine though. The 1.8Ts also have a chain between the two cams, though this should last the life of the car/engine with the right care. On newer TSI engines there is a timing chain in place of the 1.8T's timing belt - pros and cons to that really and I'm not really sure it's fair to say one is better than the other.

Robust, yes. Mine is on 195k with mostly just routine servicing and normal age/mileage related items that have needed to be replaced.

Thanks for all the feedback guys so it looks like a keeper now. Body work is good it will need the front valence and bonnet blowing over as well and I may refurb the original alloys. Not sure about the lock and mirror issue lived with it for 4 years so may just let that one ride as electrical issues are not my cup of tea, all electricians are wizards as far as I am concerned and should be burned at the stake

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bspman said:

as a mk1 tdi and mk2 vrs (petrol) owner - I find myself wanting to get rid of my mk2, nuff said.

I'm not surprised. I've driven mk1 and mk2 TDis on the same roads on the same day, and the only "benefit" the mk2 offers is "being bigger inside" IMO. The mk1 is smaller and more wieldy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

On newer TSI engines there is a timing chain in place of the 1.8T's timing belt - pros and cons to that really and I'm not really sure it's fair to say one is better than the other.

But re newer engines:- 

Edited by bigjohn