Moving back to Skoda

Hello everyone.

Looking for advice, personal experiences and thoughts on a Superb. Specifically a MK3 Sportine 190 DSG. Like the idea of 4x4 too, but it's not make or break if I'm honest.

I previously had a 184bhp manual vRS estate and the power was perfect for me. Hence why I like the idea of the 190 Superb, having already had the Octavia.

I've browsed the forums for some time now, and some people love the dsg, others seem to hate it. People saying it's doing 30mph but in 6th gear etc, saying it's slow and sluggish.. but if you drive it in sport, it's alot better?

Haven't had a chance to test drive yet, my nearest dealer is over 100 miles away and with work, haven't had the time. (I work shifts with on call between)

Also looking for pictures of your sportlines, specifically in red, white and meteor grey! Been looking in the pictures thread and they are beautiful, but gimme them in your replys anyway! :)

prefer the hatch, or "liftback" if you prefer, to the estate, but I have a soft spot for an estate. Let me know if you regret your choice of estate over hatch and vice versa :tongueout:

3 minutes ago, Staples said:

People saying it's doing 30mph but in 6th gear etc, saying it's slow and sluggish.. but if you drive it in sport, it's alot better?

I think it will always choose the highest gear that works, but having said that my 1.4 is usually in 4 th gear at 30.

A firm prod on the accelerator certainly drops down the gears very quickly.

The only drawback I have found is it's slow to get going at junctions, something I take into account when joining.

Just now, facet edge said:

I think it will always choose the highest gear that works, but having said that my 1.4 is usually in 4 th gear at 30.

A firm prod on the accelerator certainly drops down the gears very quickly.

The only drawback I have found is it's slow to get going at junctions, something I take into account when joining.

When you say slow to get going, are you driving it in "normal" and does sport have any real impact on the pull away?

I have an S3 190 4x4 hatch in L&K guise and had a Oct3 184 manual VRS. Two very different cars.

VRS was fun and could be thrown around and the manual box was a blessing. The Superb is larger and heavier but way more comfortable. Regardless of using Sport settings it will never hold the revs as well as a manual.

The 4x4 system adds weight but is also a blessing in those whoops corners, pulling away and wet/greasy roads.

I love both. As a passenger my wife loves both. Very different but very good in their own ways.

• Thanks 1

Picked up my 1.4tsi dsg Sportline hatch about 3 weeks ago, I wanted an estate originally but budget constraints forced me towards the hatchback, its been brilliant so far though, hitting about 41 mpg, enough power to keep me ticking along and still plenty of room in the back! 

Must admit though the white doesn't stay white very long and so it's always in need of a wash! 

Great car though so whatever you end up going for I'm sure you'll be happy with. 

IMG_20190204_155054.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Splitprism said:

I think the DSG is a must have if you're doing a fair bit of mileage as it works so well with the adaptive cruise control, but if you're just doing a few local miles in it then a manual may well suit you better. 

Think long and hard before taking a DQ200 (as fitted to the 1.4 tsi)

1 hour ago, rhino1401 said:

I have an S3 190 4x4 hatch in L&K guise and had a Oct3 184 manual VRS. Two very different cars.

VRS was fun and could be thrown around and the manual box was a blessing. The Superb is larger and heavier but way more comfortable. Regardless of using Sport settings it will never hold the revs as well as a manual.

The 4x4 system adds weight but is also a blessing in those whoops corners, pulling away and wet/greasy roads.

I love both. As a passenger my wife loves both. Very different but very good in their own ways.

Very good answer, thanks!

It's nice to hear your point of view having come from same previous car. I completely understand they are 2 totally different cars, so it's nice to here that both cars, although different, you still enjoy.

50 minutes ago, Splitprism said:

Picked up my 1.4tsi dsg Sportline hatch about 3 weeks ago, I wanted an estate originally but budget constraints forced me towards the hatchback, its been brilliant so far though, hitting about 41 mpg, enough power to keep me ticking along and still plenty of room in the back! 

Must admit though the white doesn't stay white very long and so it's always in need of a wash! 

Great car though so whatever you end up going for I'm sure you'll be happy with. 

IMG_20190204_155054.jpg

My Octavia was white, as was my car before that, so I'm used to it :D 

Although you've had your car less than a month, and originally wanted an estate, do you think if given the choice again but hatch and estate being equal prices, would you still opt for a hatch? Or would the large estate then take favour?

2 hours ago, xman said:

Picture shows one of the bugbears of the Superb, parking slots are never long enough!

I’m always a bit confused by this one. Isn’t a Mondeo  and a Vectra longer? :blink:

Had my 190 DSG 4x4 for about a month now and I am still in love with it, had it in Sport a few times and from what I came from it’s a surprise, definitely no delay from pressing loud pedal to moving away, the 4x4 gives an extra assure feel goon ground greasy corners too.

i have no regrets whatsoever about getting my first superb , I would go as far to say it’s the best car I have owned

glad I went for the hatch as I think it’s more sleek but then again I am biased 

3C4BEEBA-0A33-4C42-96F5-F8E0290493A1.jpeg

Edited by Darners69
  • Like 1

I think given the option of the hatch and the estate, if they were equally priced I would go for the estate over the hatch, but only because of the ease of carrying bikes on the estate with the roof bars.

I think unless you are planning on carrying bikes, roof boxes or some gargantuan IKEA furniture packages then the hatchback makes more sense. 

18 minutes ago, Splitprism said:

I think given the option of the hatch and the estate, if they were equally priced I would go for the estate over the hatch...

Which, of course, they’re not! :)

I've just recently bought a used 2016 Silver 190 6-DSG SEL estate.

I went for the estate as I have kids, a dog and enjoy a spot of mountain biking - I also prefer the looks of the estate, but that is of course subjective. It's not like you're going to struggle for room in the hatch though, is it?

I drive BMW 530d's at work all day which have the 8 speed ZF - an amazing gearbox.

I wouldn't say the DSG in the Skoda is quite as sharp as the BMW unit, but it's very good. There is a degree of customisation available within the menu, as well as the default ones including 'Eco' (Which coasts where possible - very clever) regular 'Drive' and of course 'Sport'. I understand there is now a 7 speed DSG in available in the Skoda... Not sure if that is any better?

Power is fine, would maybe consider remapping it in the future (I suppose that's where the 4x4 might be handy :)but in the real world it's all you need and wafts along quite nicely.

I love the car to bits though, for my lifestyle and what I need - it's nigh on perfect.

I would of course love the 280 petrol... but I couldn't afford the fuel to be honest.

If I'm being super picky, I would have loved one in the Sport Line trim, perhaps in white, but again budget constraints ruled it out. Mine has the 19'' Phoenix alloys, which set it off quite nicely anyway I think :)

Superb.jpeg

Edited by TC.
  • Like 1

Also remember that with the DSG you can drive it like a manual by using the semi auto function. Flip the gear lever to the left and then flip up or down to change gears. In this mode the car holds the selected gear except when coming to a stand when it will reselect first gear to pull away. I have a 220 petrol these days but had a 150TDI before. That wasnt short of any puff so the 190 should be better again.

If you leave the DSG in auto then it will always default to what it has been told is economic operation and yes it will be in 5 or 6 at very low speeds so it then takes a moment to kick down when called for and can over react by selecting too low a gear. Sport mode in both the 150TDI and 220 TSI simply opens out the rev ranges for gears so you would be runnnig in lower gears but not necessarily those that you would select if driving a manual.

Personally I think the 220 TSI is the sweet spot of the range (but I would of course wouldn't I) as it has oodles of oomph but is so sweet, smooth and quiet and as well as all that it returns around 35mpg if driven sensibly.

I know a lot of people prefer the 150TDI over the 190 for smoothness, but I have to say I love my 190 DSG combo (L&K in my case).

For me the DSG has been a revelation and I won't be going back to manual. It allows you to be as involved in the driving as you choose, from full-on in the twisties with sport mode and manual changes via the DSG lever or paddles (as Sagalout explains above) to pretty much autonomous on the motorway with ACC and lane assist taking over the basic driving duties while you consider the bigger picture.

It is a little sluggish away from the line in normal, but a flick of the lever to sport fixes that, and if you need even more immediate response there are plenty of pedal boxes out there.

Consumption on the 190 is pretty decent and one reason why I couldn't consider a 220TSI which would be my natural choice if my mileage allowed.

I have no need of an estate and I much prefer the lines of the hatch, but I also think the Superb is as good looking as any of the comparable estates.

I've not driven a Sportline so can't comment on that. But I don't think I've seen a single bad word written on here about them, so I don't think you will go far wrong with choosing one.

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I know a lot of people prefer the 150TDI over the 190 for smoothness, but I have to say I love my 190 DSG combo (L&K in my case).

For me the DSG has been a revelation and I won't be going back to manual. It allows you to be as involved in the driving as you choose, from full-on in the twisties with sport mode and manual changes via the DSG lever or paddles (as Sagalout explains above) to pretty much autonomous on the motorway with ACC and lane assist taking over the basic driving duties while you consider the bigger picture.

It is a little sluggish away from the line in normal, but a flick of the lever to sport fixes that, and if you need even more immediate response there are plenty of pedal boxes out there.

Consumption on the 190 is pretty decent and one reason why I couldn't consider a 220TSI which would be my natural choice if my mileage allowed.

I have no need of an estate and I much prefer the lines of the hatch, but I also think the Superb is as good looking as any of the comparable estates.

I've not driven a Sportline so can't comment on that. But I don't think I've seen a single bad word written on here about them, so I don't think you will go far wrong with choosing one.

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Thank you for your input, it's very much valued and appreciated!

I think I'm going to do a "build" tonight, see what I need from the car and then arrange a test drive once time allows.

45 minutes ago, facet edge said:

The only thing I dislike about the manual mode with the lever is you push forward to change up. Doesn't seem right somehow.

No doubt if it were reversed we’d get the opposite view! (But my wife agrees).