Adaptive cruise- undertaking in the EU

Q102

Having just got back from a splendid skiing holiday in Austria, I noticed that the adaptive cruise will let you undertake on European motorways.

I'd assumed it was due to GPS position but it appears that when you set speed units to km/h it will allow undertaking - I had this set when driving along the M1, M25 & M20- Maxidot would show car to side but wouldn't slam the brakes on.

I wonder if undertaking is permitted in certain areas of the Continent? (haven't been able to find anything conclusive about it on 'tinterweb yet though) 

**  Just found undertaking isn't allowed in Austria or France

Edited by Russ77

If in slow moving traffic I've noticed by default it will keep pace with the car to the outside. If you touch the accelerater it overrides and will ignore the car and undertake them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Q102 said:

Having just got back from a splendid skiing holiday in Austria, I noticed that the adaptive cruise will let you undertake on European motorways.

I'd assumed it was due to GPS position but it appears that when you set speed units to km/h it will allow undertaking - I had this set when driving along the M1, M25 & M20- Maxidot would show car to side but wouldn't slam the brakes on.

I've got a trip down to Austria coming up and was pondering this after reading reports of ACC not allowing undertaking on British roads - move to the continent and unless the vehicle 'knows' where it is, then any overtaking would be vetoed - so you think changing to Km/h swaps the system around and possibly removes the restriction all together?

50 minutes ago, Berisford said:

I've got a trip down to Austria coming up and was pondering this after reading reports of ACC not allowing undertaking on British roads - move to the continent and unless the vehicle 'knows' where it is, then any overtaking would be vetoed - so you think changing to Km/h swaps the system around and possibly removes the restriction all together?

sitting in lane 1 on the M25, traffic trundling along at 60-70mph, ACC was set and could "undertake" at 60mph.

On the A8 south of Munich, ACC set at 100km/h, could pass cars to either left or right of me over the 50mph UK setting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

There is a lights setting for use when driving on the opposite side of the road. Did you have this enabled? I don't know if it also changes the radar settings for undertaking as I haven't taken my car to Europe yet, but worth trying. 

Yes had set the Bi-Xenon lights for euro travel

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Berisford said:

...so you think changing to Km/h swaps the system around and possibly removes the restriction all together?

They use Km in Ireland (Republic of) and drive on the left, so I doubt that is the case...although I don’t know what the law is on ‘undertaking’ over there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveo138 said:

They use Km in Ireland (Republic of) and drive on the left, so I doubt that is the case...although I don’t know what the law is on ‘undertaking’ over there. 

Good point........it can't be the case then, something else must trigger the behavior.

Each country will have its own customisation programmed at the factory.

Xenon headlights can be adjusted by switching on Travel mode in Infotainment. In this mode, however, no automatic beam adjustment is made ahead of the vehicle. I believe dip then may be just a universal flat beam.

As noted earlier, ACC can be overridden temporarily simply by pressing the accelerator, e.g. for overtaking or undertaking manoeuvres.

+1 for km/h and ACC not undertaking here in Australia.

We're RHD.

Slight tap to accelerator and it continues past the slow driver in the right lane :)

Edited by JR RS

In my experience switching the xenons to "drive on right" also changes the ACC so it then senses cars on the left and doesn't undertake unless pushed (as UK but opposite hand).

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

In my experience switching the xenons to "drive on right" also changes the ACC so it then senses cars on the left and doesn't undertake unless pushed (as UK but opposite hand).

Switching driving sides makes the xenons run in "tourist mode" - in this mode the AFS stops doing it's thing.

HBA is disabled, if u have it activated.

Likewise with SLA, if u have it.