Clock Spring

Hi All

12 plate Superb Greenline Estate

Just discovered that my steering wheel controls don't work and the airbag light has lit up on the dashboard. This happened after pulling out of works car park last night where I heard a click noise from the steering wheel area. It looks like my clock spring has decided it has had enough and the wiring has snapped.

Ive priced up the part (5k0953569AL which replaces the previous 5k0953569H) at the main dealers :sad: who quoted £234 

Now, my question to you knowledgeable  people is are there any other part numbers that will fit the superb (and are somewhat cheaper ) or am I resigned to paying a fortune?

Quite happy to replace it myself so thats not an issue unless anyone knows differently!!

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

It'll probably need coding and the steering angle sensor calibrating so VCDS or similar will be required.

Shame the old ones been removed already as it would have been handy to check it's coding first.

8 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

Have you tried driving it for a short distance as dash lights up like this on battery re-connection.
Then see what you have

Good idea. Just got airbag light and glow plug lights now

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

It'll probably need coding and the steering angle sensor calibrating so VCDS or similar will be required.

Shame the old ones been removed already as it would have been handy to check it's coding first.

If needed i can quite easily swap them back. The only difficult bit waa getting the airbag out

2 hours ago, chilleddevil said:

The only difficult bit waa getting the airbag out

It gets easier the more you do of them.
the correct size small flat blade screwdriver   works wonders

• 1 month later...

Ok everyone. Mot due in just over a week and airbag light and glow plug lights still on which it will fail on. Can anyone with vcds help? I've messaged about a dozen people without any joy. Otherwise it's the stealers