12v charger

Can anyone tell me if the lighter/charging points are live all the time? I've just installed a dash cam which uses the charging points for its feed, when I turn off the ignition, the camera stays on etc.

Thanks folks

Yes, they stay live even with the ignition locked and car off so you have to be careful not to get a flat battery.  I used the cable below which has a parking mode switch and also cuts off at low battery voltage. Plugs straight into the obd port. Whilst this is blackview, think it would work for any make if you just cut off the connector on the end and put whatever one you need on -  the cable itself is just 2 core. The electronics/control are in the obd connector bit.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-obd-power-pro-cable?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=-xwwarwlaap&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555879|agid:49387672052|tid:aud-297219198929:pla-402389457113|crid:203456299332|nw:g|rnd:4498154935732461458|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006618&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguHz-6j34AIVC7DtCh2fpQswEAQYASABEgL6DfD_BwE

Alternatively there are guides on here on how to wire into fuse box so camera only live when ignition is on.

• Thanks 1

Sppedman .. many thanks, all interesting and I saw a similar post after mine re dash cam that's helpful. Great forum, members and info !

Edited by Tommo7759
Spelling

1 hour ago, vfrvrs said:

Just make the connection in the fuse box behind ghe glove box using a piggyback fuse.

Thanks, ordered one, already onto old threads re glovebox access .. thanks pal

• Like 1

VfrVrs, attempted the piggy back route today, no joy/ran out of daylight, looking at Youtibe vids, many use some kind of converter/inverter, is it possible to hardwire without one if these devices?

My install uses half a fuse as a spade terminal into one of the unused swiched live fuses.  Fourth car it has been installed in for either the dash cam or TomTom.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tommo7759 said:

How thick am I, I really need an appropriate hardwire kit which didn't come with the dash cam.... 

Halfords do a hardwire kit for nextbase cameras. It may well have the connectors which will fit other cameras.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Halfords do a hardwire kit for nextbase cameras. It may well have the connectors which will fit other cameras.

Thank you, I've ordered a generic kit from prime, appreciate the suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Tommo7759 said:

Thank you, I've ordered a generic kit from prime, appreciate the suggestion.

It's dead easy to fit. The wire can be tucked under the windscreen and down the passenger side, there's room to push the wire in without removing the trim. Take the glovebox off and you've got easy access to the fuse box.

Edited by facet edge
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tommo7759 said:

VfrVrs, attempted the piggy back route today, no joy/ran out of daylight, looking at Youtibe vids, many use some kind of converter/inverter, is it possible to hardwire without one if these devices?

I just wired (piggyback fuse) a cheap cigarette socket or USB socket in, then just plug in the wire that comes with the camera, simple and cheap about £5?

• Thanks 1