Cup holders ridiculously shaped

Lego

Is it just me or is anyone else frustrated by the small, and ridiculously shaped 'simply clever' cup holders? I love the huge door bin where I can store my water bottle, but I can't fit a coffee cup, (apart from a teeny one), into the cup holder. It's not even a circle!  Does anybody know of an after market insert that can either fit into the holder to expand it, or replace the cup holder/coin tray? 

• Like 1

The limitations of the cup holders has always been a bugbear with me with my MkII Octy Scout. I can only use my Contigo anti spill mug if I place it in the door bottle holder which is not ideal. 

After numerous purchases (and returns) I have discovered the Nespresso Travel Mug fits perfectly in my cup holders. When not in actual use it's placed in the door bottle holder. (The bright green silicone band is too prevent it rattling once in there!) 

Might be worth a try. 20190310_114714.thumb.jpg.88f1af5845b594dad9cde44f2689cd8f.jpg

Nespresso have brought out a new larger sized mug. 

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/accessories/vertuo/vertuo-travel-alto

Edited by Guest
Added info

3 hours ago, Fin69 said:

the Nespresso Travel Mug fits perfectly in my cup holders.

I have that Nespresso "Touch" travel mug mug as well. Works great in my Superb II and a few other cars i have used it in.  And if you close it and then drop it when putting your stuff in the car - it doesn't spill.  I've unintentionally tested it many times. :notme: 

On 10/03/2019 at 11:16, Lego said:

Is it just me or is anyone else frustrated by the small, and ridiculously shaped 'simply clever' cup holders? I love the huge door bin where I can store my water bottle, but I can't fit a coffee cup, (apart from a teeny one), into the cup holder. It's not even a circle!  Does anybody know of an after market insert that can either fit into the holder to expand it, or replace the cup holder/coin tray? 

Are you talking about the holder with the lumps in the bottom that's for coke bottle the shape of the bottle on the bottom fits between the dimples so you can unscrew the cap with one hand

• 1 month later...

Yes, I am frustrated too!  I assume the simply clever driver has never seen a coffee cup.  Seeing the daft shape I played it safe and got an official skoda travel mug - but it doesn't really fit.  It doesn't reach the bottom of the holder so you cant't quite put the arm rest down.  If you put some weight on it, it goes in just enough to get the arm rest down - so at least it's usable.  As for using both holders at the same time, forget it.  Given the space in the box under the arm rest it should be very easy to design cup holders that work.

• 2 months later...
On 11/03/2019 at 18:23, TheGardener said:

I’ve been driving for 53 years and have never felt the need to have a drink while at the wheel so don’t really get this obsession with cup holders. Neither do I understand why so many people seem to be surgically attached to coffee cups as they go about their daily business.

My kids think it is because I’m a cantankerous old sod - they’re probably right.

You & me both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2019 at 18:23, TheGardener said:

I’ve been driving for 53 years

Wow, that's a long time behind the wheel, you must be really really tired and in need of some coffee..... I'll get my coat..... 😉

Personally to date I've never needed to use a coffee cup holder for a coffee cup. Too busy driving although reading here simply clever techs don't drink coffee on the move either.

7 hours ago, Hairball said:

Wow, that's a long time behind the wheel, you must be really really tired and in need of some coffee..... I'll get my coat..... 😉

Personally to date I've never needed to use a coffee cup holder for a coffee cup. Too busy driving although reading here simply clever techs don't drink coffee on the move either.

+1

I must be old fashioned. No multi-tasking for me - I have never seen the need to walk around or drive with a coffee.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

+1

I must be old fashioned. No multi-tasking for me - I have never seen the need to walk around or drive with a coffee.

Nope, same for me, but I have seen a number of near misses with builders vans while they are drinking and stuffing burgers.

A choice! what do I do spill my drink or hit the biker? Ooops to late.:sweat:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

An update on the travel mugs for the Karoq.

The holders are too small for most cups, but for £2.25 at Wilkinsons you can get a mug which fits - two sit together and just touch.

If you want to spend more, then £18.00 gets you the Nespresso Touch which fits perfectly with space between the two cups.

Nespresso Cups.JPG

Nespresso in Karoq.JPG

Nespresso Pack.JPG

Wilkinsons Cups.JPG

Wilkinsons in Karoq.JPG

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I agree with OP - Simply Cr*p design.  Who needs the key holder in that and the 12v plastic bung holder?  They could have got rid of those and made the two cup holders bigger and more useful.  Key holder - really!!  I have my key on a keyring with house keys - am I really going to leve them in that slot to get forgotten or in my pocket where they belong?  For me its always the pocket. Do I really want that bunch sitting there and jangling for the entire trip?  No thanks.  3" deeper too and you could even get a normal bottle of water (500ml) in there and still have the armrest in-place.

The designers must have been either on a severe budget or never used a cup/bottle that the rest of use get from a take-away lunch outlet in their entire lives.

While on the subject - the glove box in the karoq, should you decide to make use of the cooling feature, has room for only one very stubby bottle/container and very slim design water or drink and just about nothing else at the same time.  You can just about squeeze two in there if you want to put them under pressure and risk them leaking all over the place.  Another really well designed feature - Not! 

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

I frequently use the key holder. When I swap with the wife driving on a long trip I have to take the key out of my pocket and put it in the keyholder as otherwise it is too far from the steering column to register and allow the car to start.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I frequently use the key holder. When I swap with the wife driving on a long trip I have to take the key out of my pocket and put it in the keyholder as otherwise it is too far from the steering column to register and allow the car to start.

Fair point.

On 27/07/2021 at 11:38, kenfowler3966 said:

Really? I use the key holder all the time and have never experienced that problem. 

As for the cup holders... I can't really add anything. They are too small. Some of the takeaway cups do fit but are then too short to pick up properly.

I used the cup holder for the first time, they should be renamed bottle holders, a coke bottle fits in perfectly and you can undo the top single handed because of the grips in the bottom, fantastic, oh and the Skoda cup,fits perfectly too.

• Like 1

Anyone that buys Nespresso capsules shouldn’t have a problem getting the above mentioned Touch car cups as they regularly have them in “buy so many capsules, get a free car cup” offers.  At last count I have 5 or 6, all free. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Another problem with the cup holder is that it has three slots for coins. Except, too late, I discovered that only two are for coins and the other is for a ticket/credit card etc. so now there are coins rattling around the inside of it. Anyone know how to get them out? image.thumb.jpg.9cec3660e993b164b2636cc4ee0722b7.jpg

On 05/08/2020 at 16:55, Stuart-C said:

An update on the travel mugs for the Karoq.

The holders are too small for most cups, but for £2.25 at Wilkinsons you can get a mug which fits - two sit together and just touch.

Similar here. I bought two of Wilko's 'Luxe Black Coffee Cups' for £5.00 each. They hold 450ml of coffee and keep it hot for a few hours.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-luxe-black-coffee-cup/p/0510022

Two cups fit side-by-side into the Karoq cup-holders, though they are quite tall (20 cms).