Sat- Nav update

patrolman

4 minutes ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

When I loaded waze, android auto defaulted to it and the only way to then use google maps was to delete waze. I occasionally use google maps but much prefer tom tom on my phone to waze. I believe if you're prepared to root  your phone you can get tom tom to display on the sat nav. I tend to use the car sat nav to view traffic rather than for directions, its timings are usually wrong and at times it takes some odd routes.

I get the option to use either....love it.

Wish I did as on occasion I'm happy to use Waze or Google maps. I think you're supposed to be able to select either and with music I can select Google music or VLC but just doesn't do it with maps, maybe my phone. I also found using VLC as the music player would crash the head unit causing reboots so referred to Google which works fine.

57 minutes ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

The Amundsen sat nav looks to the sd card where the maps reside. If you put the maps on an ordinary sd card the sat nav won't work, it has to be a skoda sd card. Think it's different with the Columbus where the maps live on internal memory. £50 doesn't sound too awful as you can download the maps from the portal for free and copy them on (hopefully).

I have just had the garage download the new update but when put into the car it worked - it run the sat nav, showed my location as a red circle and my home as a house but failed to display anything else of the maps! No roads, railways or anything. They scratched their heads and said the could try again but as other owners were have routing problems with the update (route taking off and onto motorways randomly) the said best stick with 18 update and try again later in the year when the second fix comes from Skoda. Not very impressed with this, car is great, sat nav updates, rubbish!

Must say the instructions on the VW site  for loading the map updates are very well written unlike the very vague instructions from Skoda. When you go through the files on the sd card there are folders for VW, Skoda, and SEAT  so I could see that one download could well work on compatible units. Are the VW maps any newer than the Skoda ones? There's no date on the web site that I can see. 

13 minutes ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

Must say the instructions on the VW site  for loading the map updates are very well written unlike the very vague instructions from Skoda. When you go through the files on the sd card there are folders for VW, Skoda, and SEAT  so I could see that one download could well work on compatible units. Are the VW maps any newer than the Skoda ones? There's no date on the web site that I can see. 

My SEAT one that came with the car was 1030(or 1050) cant remember, so from June 2018, the one on VW is October 2018 release 1115. A new release should come out in JUne 2019 but it's not there yet.

I will update again when it comes out. They do 2 per year.

Check in the SatNav settings it will tell you the release number

It's the same files, don't worry.

If the SD card is write protected there will be a slider on the side on it.

Make sure to unzip with 7ZIP of on windows or UnArchiver if on Mac.

Backup the orignal data to you computer first then delete the contents of the SD card before copying the the new unzipped files

Make sure to place the old OVERALL.NDS file from  EEC/EEC_WLD/  to the new copy and then copy the whole folder to the SD card.

As a sidenote, the site also contains all the station logos you can put on USB and import to the radio

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads#/

Edited by TonyTonic

Downloaded the VW European Countries Bundle 1 - the smaller one - which says it was updated today. As you say the file structure and files are the same as I have on my Skoda SD card but browsing through the file modified dates are a lot newer. What is the significance of copying over the old Skoda OVERALL.NDS file and replacing the VW one. Will have to give it a try and see if shows a later version than 2019/20 Skoda maps.

5 minutes ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

Downloaded the VW European Countries Bundle 1 - the smaller one - which says it was updated today. As you say the file structure and files are the same as I have on my Skoda SD card but browsing through the file modified dates are a lot newer. What is the significance of copying over the old Skoda OVERALL.NDS file and replacing the VW one. Will have to give it a try and see if shows a later version than 2019/20 Skoda maps.

have a go mate, I did....I just researched and followed others footsteps and it worked....the NDS file will get the license linked to the VIN I guess

On 17/06/2019 at 20:27, SurreySlowCoach said:

When you say WV all Europe maps are near than Skoda 2019/20 do you refer to previously published partial Europe maps ore recently added A1 whole Europe package? (Few weeks ago Skoda added A1 package but I have nod downloaded it as it is 12GB)

On 17/06/2019 at 19:27, SurreySlowCoach said:

I've downloaded the below as I need all of this, 13.99GB

European Countries – Bundle 1

mapupdate_europe_s2_1_16x9_960.jpgDownload

• Updated: : 6/17/19
  • File format: : 7-Zip
  • Coverage: :

Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)*, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Ukraine*, United Kingdom, Vatican City

* in parts

2 hours ago, pa_ko said:

When you say WV all Europe maps are near than Skoda 2019/20 do you refer to previously published partial Europe maps ore recently added A1 whole Europe package? (Few weeks ago Skoda added A1 package but I have nod downloaded it as it is 12GB)

You can download the maps from VW, they don't have to be form the Skoda site, VW usually gets them first

There's some screen shots of the latest vw update on the seatcupra forum which suggests the two speed limits displaying is fixed.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-85

There's also some interesting posts about SD card information written to the SD card which explains why you can't use any old sd card and have to use a Skoda one. 

53 minutes ago, SurreySlowCoach said:

There's also some interesting posts about SD card information written to the SD card which explains why you can't use any old sd card and have to use a Skoda one. 

This is interesting and not sure how they do this...as I format the SD card to FAT32 before adding the new folder to it (I tried copying the files after just deleting the old files but it says not enough room as it seems to leave some hidden files behind). I reckon it's all in the OVERALL.NDS file.  Nothing stopping you from trying any old card and see if it works.

The reason is buried deep in the SD card, it's the card identification register code (CID) that Skoda/VW use to thwart any copying, it's not easy to find a work-around.

5 hours ago, pa_ko said:

Is it different from Skoda ECE A1 2019/2020 - only for 32GB SD (which appeared few weeks ago)? Anyone compared them? 

This is update 1310. Have loaded it today and all works fine.

7 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

This is update 1310. Have loaded it today and all works fine.

Anyone installed all Europe Skoda ECE A1 2019/2020 and can check update number so we compare? Might be Skoda is also 1310 or even newer, as WV is known to be lagging.

8 hours ago, pa_ko said:

Anyone installed all Europe Skoda ECE A1 2019/2020 and can check update number so we compare? Might be Skoda is also 1310 or even newer, as WV is known to be lagging.

Whats the Skoda download site link?

4 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Ah I don't have the VIN as I dont own a Skoda, is there a direct download link? In the folders there is DB.txt file which tells you versions etc if you have downloaded

The last update was in August 2018, the next update is scheduled for 2. Quarter 2019.

Edited by TonyTonic

In the 'General Chat' forum on here there's a link in the first post of the thread 'New Map Releases Dated 17-06-19'

Edited by Berisford

4 hours ago, Berisford said:

In the 'General Chat' forum on here there's a link in the first post of the thread 'New Map Releases Dated 17-06-19'

Tried but couldn't find this topic. Please post the link