Sat- Nav update

patrolman

14 hours ago, FendiMan said:

Important is the version number of the map.

1420 (or1430) is the newest from the VW-portal, 1310 the old one before from June.

Skoda offers new maps a half year later than VW.

Yes. And even VW maps are not the latest from Here, unfortunately. So Skoda's are about year old from current real-world situation... That is why I recommend using VW.

But pay attention to do it properly.

Make sure to place the old OVERALL.NDS file from  EEC/EEC_WLD/  to the new copy and then copy the whole folder to the SD card.

Edited by pa_ko

Managed to fit latest VW whole EU on Skoda Amundsen 16G SD card!

Format SD with fat32 4K allocation unit size!!!

Explanation: OEM comes with 32k and as there are thousands very small files (<4k) it is just a waste of space to have 32k allocation unit! So with 4k we are saving some space and it fits...

I have installed a cheap SIM card (1.5 GB data, £5,25 per month) in my Karoq. I now find that when I enter a new geographical area for which there is a map update (e.g Northwest France) I am automatically asked if I would like to download and install that update - if I say yes it all happens seamlessly. 

The reason this works is that Skoda seem to have split up the maps regionally so you only download the area you need - typically this has been about 500 MB, so provided I don't travel extensively in a month my data limit is fine.

I have also recently discovered that I can search for destinations using Google - it makes it much easier to locate a specific destination, such as a Caravan Club site, which wouldn't normally be stored as a POI.

This is on a Columbus btw.

On 23/11/2019 at 15:48, pa_ko said:

Make sure to place the old OVERALL.NDS file from  EEC/EEC_WLD/  to the new copy and then copy the whole folder to the SD card.

This is only important for Seat-drivers.

Having bought a Skoda with 3 years worth of free map updates I expect to get my updates from Skoda.

I've just contacted Skoda Customer Services to check when the update is coming as my 21 month old Karoq does not have an update available, I'm told there isn'y one at the moment.  Srange.

Here maps shows a the Castle Donington Relief road which isn't going to open until late January but I can't get an update to correctly show MI junction 24 which has been changed for 12 months.

33 minutes ago, CanIDrive said:

Having bought a Skoda with 3 years worth of free map updates I expect to get my updates from Skoda.

I've just contacted Skoda Customer Services to check when the update is coming as my 21 month old Karoq does not have an update available, I'm told there isn'y one at the moment.  Srange.

Here maps shows a the Castle Donington Relief road which isn't going to open until late January but I can't get an update to correctly show MI junction 24 which has been changed for 12 months.

As mentioned above use  the VW maps they are more up to date..

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

or the very latest here..

Edited by Kenny R

Thanks for the link, but the maps are dated July, I already have Skoda's maps from June so I'll wait.

The photo you show above shows the maps I already have.

On a related point Skoda have closed down the destinations web page this morning, so without the Skoda Connect app adding POIs may have become more difficult.  

13 minutes ago, CanIDrive said:

Thanks for the link, but the maps are dated July, I already have Skoda's maps from June so I'll wait.

The photo you show above shows the maps I already have.

On a related point Skoda have closed down the destinations web page this morning, so without the Skoda Connect app adding POIs may have become more difficult.  

The photo above is actually a link to the latest 2020 maps dated 08/11/19

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my maps were all fully updated to 2020, by means of a download from the Skoda update portal.  This was despite Skoda Connect showing no update available.

• 1 month later...

New to this forum,I have just updated Amundsen satnav card to ECE1 2020 fromSkoda Update Portal, not being computer trained I find it messy and takes time but managed it. Skoda say Amundsen maps usually updated week25 and week45.