Best Driving Mode

Right folks. 

Opinions on what people think are the most efficient driving modes for different road conditions. 

What I mean is, would it be best to keep it in Eco around town or is that better suited to extra urban. 

I'm struggling a little with how long the DSG box holds the revs before changing up. 

Currently I mainly use Eco everywhere and rarely use sport as it just revs for the sake of it and holds too high for too long. I use the semi auto setting if I am (coughs) putting the gas down shall we say. 

Also is Stop Start worth it or does that make minimal difference. 

I have the SEL 2.0 150bhp DSG. 

Thoughts please. 

Edited by Kirksherratt
  • Like 1

i use Individual mode 90% of the time, in and around town.

when i'm on highways I use Normal mode.

on freeways i use Comfort mode.

Unfortunatly with Eco mode, as soon as u activate ACC, it doesn't coast anymore.

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.764447796a3f8b14563cffff032a2180.jpg

Does anyone know why does DSG mode goes back to normal on car restart (except: the

manual says so)? Is there something problematic for DSG to run in Eco/Sport when car is cold or something? I wanted to give Eco a try for city driving but this revert to normal (first of just DSG mode, now, with latest models since 11/2018, of the whole driving mode) is causing questions in my mind.

4 minutes ago, Zid2000 said:

Does anyone know why does DSG mode goes back to normal on car restart (except: the

manual says so)? Is there something problematic for DSG to run in Eco/Sport when car is cold or something? I wanted to give Eco a try for city driving but this revert to normal (first of just DSG mode, now, with latest models since 11/2018, of the whole driving mode) is causing questions in my mind.

u should read this.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

i use Individual mode 90% of the time, in and around town.

when i'm on highways I use Normal mode.

on freeways i use Comfort mode.

Unfortunatly with Eco mode, as soon as u activate ACC, it doesn't coast anymore.

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.764447796a3f8b14563cffff032a2180.jpg

Thanks for the info. Mine does seem to coast in Eco. 

When you say Highway is that like our A Roads? 

35 minutes ago, Kirksherratt said:

Thanks for the info. Mine does seem to coast in Eco. 

When you say Highway is that like our A Roads? 

Mine does coast in Eco mode too, but if u turn on ACC (cruise control), it won't coast anymore until u turn off the ACC.

By highways, I mean speeds between 60-90 km/h, with occasional traffic lights.

I don't know wat ur A roads r like.

Freeways here r 100-110 km/h and no traffic lights.

Sport or Individual (where all the options are set to Sport except DCC which is set to Normal). I find if there are speed bumps it has to be Sport or the car wallows all over the place. Otherwise very happy with the setup. Will try comfort on the motorway but to be honest normal is so smooth already I'm not sure it will be a noticeable improvement.

8 hours ago, Fantantonio said:

Will try comfort on the motorway but to be honest normal is so smooth already I'm not sure it will be a noticeable improvement.

difference between Comfort and Normal is far less than the difference between Normal and Sport.

Comfort is a lazy version of Normal, literally - everything reacts much slower than normal.

Edited by JR RS

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

difference between Comfort and Normal is far less than the difference between Normal and Sport.

Comfort is a lazy version of Normal, literally - everything reacts much slower than normal.

I take it comfort does the same thing for cars without DCC? 

I have noticed that Normal just reacts to throttle pedal press sightly faster. 

Average MPG is around 46 at present. 

3 hours ago, Kirksherratt said:

I take it comfort does the same thing for cars without DCC? 

I have noticed that Normal just reacts to throttle pedal press sightly faster. 

Average MPG is around 46 at present. 

No - Comfort mode is extra soft than Normal mode.

If u don't have DCC, u don't get Comfort mode.

With DCC, u get 3 suspension modes - Comfort, Normal and Sport.

This then pairs up with your Driving modes.  There are 5 - Eco, Comfort (if fitted with DCC), Normal, Sport and Individual.

These then combine with the Drive modes.  There are 3 - Eco, Normal and Sport.

Edited by JR RS

On 20/03/2019 at 06:53, Zid2000 said:

No problem at all to switch the DSG to Sport or ECO, or even the entire Drive Profile to whatever you want as soon as you start the car. The DSG reverting to Normal, and as of 2018/11 the entire Drive profile too is some weird "safety" feature so that the car does not catch someone by surprise I imagine, but there is no "time limit" on when you can switch to any mode you like.

In general, don't over-think it, there are no limitations as to what you "must" use where so it's all a matter of personal preference and driving style. Some prefer the car to keep a sporty character at all times, some prefer it more relaxed.

What I have done and an idea maybe for you if you also have user profiles on your car: I don't fully like almost any default profile but I also don't want to drive with one custom setting all the time, I want to be switching between a super comfy ride and a more direct and responsive one so instead of changing the Individual mode settings all the time I have done this: I have created two user profiles: One for city and relaxed driving where the Individual mode is set to ECO and Comfort DCC and the ambient light is blue. The other one is my "sport" profile, the Individual mode is set to Sport DCC, Sport Drive, Normal steering, and ambient light set to red (cheesy I know :tongueout: ).  So whenever I start the car and get asked which profile I like to enter I simply press once the rotary wheel which is 10x times easier and quicker than messing with Individual settings. Of-course as of 2018/11 you have to manually select Individual driving mode also (but at least the Individual mode of each profile remembers its own settings). If during the drive I change my mind, I can also switch user profiles from the car status screen.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...