Boot opening by itself?

I did try a search, but couldn’t see anything.

I’ll put this out there to see if anything similar has happened to anyone. 

Her in doors was at work today, parked the car and locked as normal. All windows, doors and boot were closed. Later that morning, she was looking over In the general direction of the car and found the boot to be open?

Kessy key was untouched, in her bag in a locker and more than 50ft away. 

I did all the usual questioning,  but her keys were no where near the car and no one had access. Unsure how long the boot was open, luckily nothing missing. 

Any thoughts and yes we do have the powered tailgate option. 

Cheers. 

Almost certainly due to inadvertently pressing the keyfob button. The one for the boot is the easiest one to press. Maybe when she stuffed her bag into the locker etc. I keep mine in a little leather case which massively reduces the ease of accidentally pressing the button.

50’ is well within the range of the keyfob.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Almost certainly due to inadvertently pressing the keyfob button. The one for the boot is the easiest one to press. Maybe when she stuffed her bag into the locker etc. I keep mine in a little leather case which massively reduces the ease of accidentally pressing the button.

50’ is well within the range of the keyfob.

Agreed. Try looking at this thread @aldouk.

• Thanks 1

I quizzed her again and swears blind nothing touching the key. The car was closed when she left it and walked away looking back before going in to the building. 

Later that day it was open. Key wasn’t on her and still in her locker untouched. 

Ive no reason not to doubt her, but it’s bugging the hell out of me. 

Thank you you will take a look on that other thread. I’m also going to get her to hold down the boot button where her locker is to see if it opens from that distance and through the brick walls. If it does perhaps maybe someone pulled her bag out or something, that’s the only logical explanation I can give. :)

7 hours ago, aldouk said:

I quizzed her again and swears blind nothing touching the key. The car was closed when she left it and walked away looking back before going in to the building. 

Later that day it was open. Key wasn’t on her and still in her locker untouched. 

Ive no reason not to doubt her, but it’s bugging the hell out of me. 

Thank you you will take a look on that other thread. I’m also going to get her to hold down the boot button where her locker is to see if it opens from that distance and through the brick walls. If it does perhaps maybe someone pulled her bag out or something, that’s the only logical explanation I can give. :)

Get yourself a couple of these (one for the spare) and ask your wife to just place the keys in the pouch upon arriving at work and securing the car.  I know the jury is still out on the effectiveness of these pouches but from my own tests* they stopped the key fob being detected by the car and also will render my phone without a network too.  Worth it for £4~ IMHO. 

If it helps giving you peace of mind, I've been guilty of accidentally opening the boot via an accidental press of the key fob it's very easily done. (and I was at the other side of the house to my car, my wife heard the tailgate beeps from where she was) 

*not carried out in accordance with Thatcham vehicle security guidelines or in an approved test facility :D

Edited by penguin17

We have just taken delivery of a new A4 and interestingly Audi have changed the function of the boot button on the remote to 2 x clicks. Makes sense really, 

• Thanks 1

Our boots opens randomly when we have walked away.  Nothing to do with the fob because we have caught it sometimes and it doesn’t beep on opening like it does with the key. Have it booked in to look at when I have my service next month. There’s some others on here with the same problem. Normally a faulty module. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Skoda enabled my virtual pedal on Thursday, boot come up on its own four times in a week, I had key in a faraday pouch, looking into possible activation by ring doorbell chime thats connected to ring doorbell via radio waves.

Booked into Skoda to have the virtual pedal deactivated next  week will let you know

I have no idea, I purchased the car the car and it stopped working, when the car went in I asked for it to be checked, they cleared the codes and enabled it, I then started having problems?

I have cctv footage of the event that I an going to post to Skoda.

Mt keys were in a faraday pouch and I was in bed?

You could be right but heres the thing, I also have an S class Mercedes and that has also opened on its own on several occasions.

The Skoda has only opened on its own since having the virtual pedal looked at and it's happened on four separate occasions in five days?

It will be interested to see what happens when it is disabled.

I can see any way to disable it myself (any ideas)

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I was in Currys in Inverness looking at washing machines, crouching down to inspect filter compartments, hose outlets and so on (I appreciate this makes me sound very sad), with the car parked outside. When I went back out the tailgate was open with all my luggage exposed to the world at large - completely mystified. Reading various posts on this site revealed that to close the boot the key must be within 2 metres, but it can be opened from the best part of 2 miles away, and the likely explanation is that my crouching had caused loose change in my pocket to press against the (slightly raised ) boot-opening button. Some people buy fancy key "purses", and some have filed down a lug inside the key to prevent any activation at all, but I went for the cheap option. My key now resides in a WHSmith drawing pin packet, without the drawing pins obviously, which has the added benefit of making it almost impossible to forget your key - if you can still walk properly, the key isn't in your trouser pocket! A bit of foam, pilfered from my wife's jewellery box and wrapped around the key first, stops it rattling at every step.

Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, A1cos said:

Skoda enabled my virtual pedal on Thursday, boot come up on its own four times in a week, I had key in a faraday pouch, looking into possible activation by ring doorbell chime thats connected to ring doorbell via radio waves.

Booked into Skoda to have the virtual pedal deactivated next  week will let you know

the virtual pedal is activated by "breaking" (aka kicking) two "virtual bars".

the red bits in the pic below show where the virtual pedal sensors r located, inside the rear diffusor. 

given that this didn't work for u before, and Skoda recently "enabled" it for u, sounds like they done something fishy to it, causing it to trigger falsely.

5b1b9addba3dc_tailgatetigger.thumb.JPG.f6e02f259bd4f96047d6f399954489aa.JPG

Edited by JR RS

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine opening the boot’s door after 10 seconds. When I lock the latch with screwdriver on the boo’s door the operating mechanism moves to the right pulling the Tightening arm down, so the boot now locked. Just after 10 seconds that operating mechanism moves back to the left itself and opens the boot’s door. 

When I close the boot and go sit in the car, it opens itself so I need to drive with boot open the door is not coming up but it’s loose and makes noise. 
I can’t understand what’s the problem 
Anybody has any idea? 

• 5 months later...

Was there a resolution to this topic at all?  I'm having the same issue - i have found a number of times that the boot door has opened by itself.  Like the posts above, i have electric tailgate opening but not the virtual pedal thingy.  On one occasion the tailgate opened within about 5 mins of walking away, the longest i've had it must have opened a few hours after walking away.  A couple of the times when this happened the keys were in my pocket so it is possible that the tailgate button was pressed somehow although fairly unlikely.  On the other occasions the keys were on a worktop out of reach of kids.  The Ring doorbell comment above is interesting - i don't have one but i don't think it was used when the boot opened. I live on a farm in the sticks so we don't have any neighbours that may have a smart doorbell - the only other potential interference i can think of is that we have cctv around the farm buildings and our cows wear UHF ankle bracelets that send data back to a central unit every 15 mins.  

• 2 years later...

Just opened on mine. That annoying beep beep beep as i was opening the curtains. Must have been pressure on the button whilst in my pocket. Remote wouldn't close it though. Going to get it disabled, as this is happening far too often now.