Diesel engine cuts out at random

Imortalhoney

I have a Skoda Yeti diesel that I bought in November 2018 that runs really well.

However, every now and again the engine cuts out such that I have to stop the car before restarting again.

This is very disconcerting, but worse still if I am in the outside lane of the motorway.

The garage doesn't seem to know what is wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated

I had a similar problem but I was towing at the time! My car was a Ford Focus Diesel and the engine just stopped,

halfway across a roundabout on the off ramp to Bideford from the M5. My wife phoned for assistance as

I pushed car and caravan back off the roundabout, RAC turned up and a police car towed me off the ramp.

No fault found. This occurred again on the way to Grinlow off the M6 this time across two lanes on the down

ramp junction. Towed off by a lady who could only tow my outfit in reverse Rac attended no fault found.

Took the car to a Ford main dealer, no fault found.

I took the car back to the Bristol dealer explained the incidents and told them to keep it until the problem was resolved.

They looked at everything, and finally found the fault in some very old Ford fault reports from Ford itself.

The fuel filler cap was not admitting enough air, but just enough to maintain a cruise not a stop and pull away under load.

New fuel cap fitted not another problem, all the years I had the car.

A bit convoluted but such a simple fault that could have caused fatalities, on both occasions the car restarted and functioned

normally in the time it took the Rac man to go through the fault finding procedure.

RAC followed me to my destination on both occasions in case of any further problems, well done them!

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Imortalhoney said:

I have a Skoda Yeti diesel that I bought in November 2018 that runs really well.

However, every now and again the engine cuts out such that I have to stop the car before restarting again.

This is very disconcerting, but worse still if I am in the outside lane of the motorway.

The garage doesn't seem to know what is wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated

How old is the car?
I suggest you need to find a garage that can read any fault codes to see what is recorded.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

I suggest you need to find a garage that can read any fault codes to see what is recorded.

Seconded - You are diagnosing blind until any fault codes are read

• Like 1

Fuel filler caps seal, if a car is upside down fuel should not be coming out.

There is venting systems, needs to be, petrol or diesel expansion and pressure / temperature / altitude changes.

Fuel caps have needed changed for decades with various vehicles, and temp caps that push fitted are no use with modern vehicles / injections systems, 

and not for UK Mot's.

Best have RAC / AA cover or an Extended Warranty / Skoda Assist and maybe if it happens have the car recovered to a Main Dealers where it stays until the Technician can figure out the dangerous fault.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem with a petrol Audi a  number of years ago. It turned out the fuel filter had rusted and bits of the mesh were being sucked through and were blocking the injectors. It also caused cylinder bore wear.

7 hours ago, Imortalhoney said:

Thanks gumdrop, its interesting that the petrol cap caused the problem.

In my case all I have to do is come to a stop and the car will then restart.

Re-reading ;

"all I have to do is come to a stop and the car will then restart"

Do you have stop start fitted? are you knocking it out of gear i.e. selecting neutral, clutch down. Just a thought.

How long do you drive before this happens?

1 hour ago, Imortalhoney said:

The mechanic found a code, but said it was too vague to pinpoint the problem.

Then your "mechanic" doesn't understand modern cars!
I suggest you find a better garage.

• Like 1

My partner took the car back to the mechanic who went out with her and the car stopped while he was in it.

As a first step he wants to change the fuel filter, but hopefully he can get to the bottom of the problem.

On 01/04/2019 at 08:55, Imortalhoney said:

The mechanic found a code, but said it was too vague to pinpoint the problem.

What was the code, someone here may understand it.

Yes, what's the point of him reading the fault code if he doesn't know what it refers to and how to fix it!

The keep on replacing things until, hopefully, the problem is fixed, can be very expensive!

Would be better to go to a main dealer and see what they think.