how long??

Easily 10 minutes or about 5-6 miles, especially when it's sub zero outside. If I'm straight upto 60 on a good road then it will be a bit shorter, but if I leave the house and creep along at 25 then sometimes it doesn't make normal temp on my 5 mile commute.

It is also dependant on heater settings. If the heater is set to hot and the fan is on number 2 then it seems to draw out more heat than the engine is making and it takes an age to warm up. It's a diesel thing, don't worry.:)

does anybody elses furby vRS take ages too get up to temp (90 degrees) mine can take about 10 mins of driving sometimes more

Yep thats about right, can be up to 20 mins if your crawling along in city centre traffic :( One of the down sides of a diesel I'm afriad

I've noticed this in my new one actually.

It takes a lot longer than my civic so I was hoping that it was a diesel thing.

First crisis successfully averted!

Hi

Diesels have two reasons for the slow warm up. They are thermally efficient, so produce less waste heat than petrol cars. Also, the engines tend to be big and heavy iron jobs, so a lot of heat is needed to warm the head and block trough.

Mine can take 15 mins or more to warm up on a cold morning in stop start traffic.

Chris

Hi

Diesels have two reasons for the slow warm up. They are thermally efficient' date=' so produce less waste heat than petrol cars. Also, the engines tend to be big and heavy iron jobs, so a lot of heat is needed to warm the head and block trough.

Mine can take 15 mins or more to warm up on a cold morning in stop start traffic.

Chris[/quote']

cheers for that!!!!

No chance of me warming up when I drive the fabia to my workplace which os only about a mile away then.:rolleyes:

I always make sure I do a good 10 minutes of slow driving in the morning to make sure everything is lubricated and warmed up before I would ever even consider putting my foot down, I also let it cool down for well over 2 minutes after each journey. If it's just to the shops and back which is about a 5 minute drive for me I leave it about 30 seconds afterwards but I wouldn't even bother going fast.

Mine is nice and toasty in a couple of minutes which I think is down to it having an electric pre-heater or something like that. I believe Andy Ellis retro-fitted one of these to his Fabia - I'll have a search and see if I can dig up the thread....

Chris

Mine is nice and toasty in a couple of minutes which I think is down to it having an electric pre-heater or something like that.

Exactly! My old TDCi Zetec S used to heat up in a little over 2 minutes even in the cold winter mornings.