Windscreen washer pump questions

No water squirting out 2 days ago as I was returning home. Sat on drive and suddenly worked. Not used again until today....didn't work. Got home. Water bottle full, only ever use the VAG approved liquid, definitely no sound of a washer pump motor whirring. Checked as far as I could see, there were no loose connections. Tried to check if it was a fuse, the only suitable fuse I could find in the handback pages 228-231, was 19 (windscreen wiper) under the bonnet. Removed, shiny with no oxidisation, so refitted it and pushed all the other fuses to check they were correctly seated. Pulled and pushed the washer stalk, whirring noise  and washer fluid pumped out of the front and rear screen jets.

1. Has anybody had a similar experience with the MkIII Octy, if so what was the solution. (Please no stories of 1970's Cortinas etc  :biggrin:)

2. Is fuse 19 the correct one, I didn't see any mention of a dedicated washer pump fuse. 

3. Is it easy to access and remove the water bottle via the left front inner wing panel? I think I might have to change /check the pump if this continues to happen. 

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Just had same thing happen to me, wipers work but no sound of washer pump, no jets. Fuses look ok, if it was a wiper fuse I'd expect the wipers to have failed as well.

Still under warranty so I'll see what the nearest dealers say.

2 hours ago, houstmon said:

Oh well, just got stung for 150 notes to replace a failed washer pump, not covered by warranty because I hadn't been using VW group washer fluid. FML.

That's disgraceful. Given the over inflated price of their 'magical' does not damage motors washer fluid, perhaps they get the water from ice geysers on Saturn.

Yet another example of VAG stamping on customers, 

• Like 2

On 21/08/2019 at 20:08, MoggyTech said:

That's disgraceful. Given the over inflated price of their 'magical' does not damage motors washer fluid, perhaps they get the water from ice geysers on Saturn.

Yet another example of VAG stamping on customers, 

I'm going to pop into my usual dealer tomorrow to see what they would have done.  I was on holiday last week.

11 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

is it written down anywhere?

Owners manual says:

Clear water is not sufficient to intensively clean the windscreen and headlights.
We recommend using clean washing water together with the screen cleaner from
the range of ŠKODA Original Accessories (in winter additionally with antifreeze)
which is capable of removing stubborn dirt.
In Winter, the washing water should always be mixed with antifreeze even if the
vehicle has heated windscreen washer nozzles.
Under exceptional circumstances, methylated spirits can also be used if no screen
cleaner with antifreeze is available. The concentration of methylated spirits must
not be more than 15 %. The freeze protection at this concentration is sufficient
only to -5 °C.

• 4 years later...

Hi Folks.  I didn't want to start a new thread, hence the 'reopening' of this old one.  I have a 2018 Octavia with LED headlights.

I'm having a similar issue with front/rear wipers operating but no water being sprayed (and reservoir has water).   I also have headlight washers but not extending/washing etc (I understand the procedure with HL on and only sprays after certain number of pulls etc).  The pump is not making a sound.  I've checked fuses) and nothing appears faulty.

I bought a replacement on-line (googled reg number/make/model as you do) but having gained access behind the wheel arch plastic trim, I could see that the pump installed did not match what I'd bought.  Finally tracked down a part number that seems to match the old pump but haven't ordered yet (1J5 955 6512 / URO-001649).

I would seem that the existing pump (and the new correct one) only has one 'outlet' for the pipework. 

Asking before I replace it in case  I am missing something.  Is there a second/other pump or another part that required?

Any and all help and assistance much appreciated.

Sean

Replacement Incorrect Pump.jpg

New Correct Part.jpeg

Exiting faulty installed part.jpeg

Further to my previous post.... stripped back the wheel arch cowling and, lo-and-behold, there is another pump!  Maybe the one to the left is the headlight washer pump.

In any case, I checked all fuses again to be sure nothing blown.  Nothing blown!  Not sure if the RH pump (for the front and back windows) feeds (power wise) to the other pump but at this stage I need go see someone that can test the electrics side and hopefully determine where the problem lies.

0?ui=2&ik=9e3be3c96d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r7722048565965308851&th=18e143e647916ea1&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9EfdDrLZPsHV7DXIvs37UVc4vGUt7hSyIjk4U0uuxr7Wq5NiBazQojILGr9qYiDUXjG08BN-j6Kii_685c_g-hsVwjC1qaRD4zwapIUlQtuqyNKXm8ONU7ras&disp=emb&realattid=84B832D3-2102-442A-AA23-5F1D81758763

Quick update.  Installed new pump.  Everything working again.  Happy Days.

• Like 1