Discoloured rear quarter window trims

I have a 2013 L and K Estate; the "Chrome" trims around the rear quarter windows has been marked, probably by acid at the local car wash.

Does anyone know how to remove and replace them? Also the part number and cost would be useful

Edited by Lawlesstce

This seems to be a common problem as my rear trims are the same, however from info on this site the whole window and trim has to be replaced as one. Therefore I wasn't prepared to spend £££ on it. Maybe someone will confirm this is correct.

Common problem and seems to only affect those rear window trims, other trims seem to fare better.... Skoda are aware of this I believe.

I had mine replaced under warranty and it was a full window replacement job which isn't good news for folk who are out of warranty.

If you have a FSH with a dealer you may get a contribution to repair but as it is probably deemed as 'trim' that is unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing this site, was just looking for this and on the first page, easy search.

when I went into Skoda dealer (mine has a scratch from one of kids hitting a dry stone wall) I was told rear window quarter light removal just to replace trim and would be around £350.

what got me looking at sorting this again was that some guy had changed the chrome to black, which looked a bit sportlineesque and assume he must have found a different way to remove to get painted unless it was a wrap over the chrome, in which case does wrapping seem a feasible option?

cheers Simon

Yes this is a good site for stuff like this, generally always get a helpful answer...!

I have heard of folk getting the trims wrapped but not sure how successful it would be long term given the small surface area the wrap material has to adhere to.   This thread has mention of wrapping the trims if you haven't already found it ?

Cheers

Dave

Mine has done this too gerrr.

I had this happen on my 2003 Passat 4motion, the centre replaced all the trims as a one off warranty replacement but they said it’s normally the truck wash additive in car washes that causes it and not to try to claim again. It was £1600 to replace all the trims. 

Why do they bother using a material that will get affected by washing the car???

I wanted to get my rear trims done on the Superb, but like someone already said, it comes with the glass??? Why??? How stupid is that.

I’ve not tried polishing it as it’s under the topcoat, may make it worse.

• Like 1