Changing Tyre Width

Hi All,

I have Skoda Superb MK3 16 plate .

I wanted to change my tires from 235/45/18 to 245/45/18.

Do you think that's possible, as I can see there is a lot more option for that size and it's also cheaper.

Cheers

Its not an approved Skoda size and not listed on the vehicle type approvals. Therefore many insurers will not insure it and many tyre centres that are on the ball will not fit it.

I know others will witter on that this is nonsense but it is simple fact. You must inform your insurer if you change tyre size from standard and if asked, declare whether it is an size approved by the manufacturer.

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, xman said:

Its not an approved Skoda size and not listed on the vehicle type approvals. Therefore many insurers will not insure it and many tyre centres that are on the ball will not fit it.

I know others will witter on that this is nonsense but it is simple fact. You must inform your insurer if you change tyre size from standard and if asked, declare whether it is an size approved by the manufacturer.

Thanks xman, I think in that case I'll stick to my original tyre size.

I agree with what xman said but I went ahead and checked things which usually can be a limiting factor:

- change in circumference more than 2% - you're ok there as this change increases circumference by 1.3%

- is tyre too wide for the rim - you're ok there as well. Skoda's 18" rims are 8" wide for which 245mm is max tyre width

These are the two limitation that I'm aware of but there might be others.

Having said all that, I personally would stay within approved dimensions (I'm attaching the list I got with my car - build 10/2018).

9837C790-4107-46EC-8381-671CDD6194A7.jpeg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, GnurkeGnurk said:

I am driving on 245/35-20 Rims front 8.5 ET 45 back 9.5 ET 40 and no problems.

Why do you have ET40 back :O? 

I'm considering going to get this "legalized" too. My sales man told me it should be possible to legally register width 245/45R18. The tyres in Slovenia are about 20-30€ cheaper per tyre for that dimension. And its safer after all...
P.S.: I want that done on original rims, don't want different rims. 

Edited by JackySi

Just now, JackySi said:

Why do you have ET40 back :O? 

I'm considering going to get this "legalized" too. My sales man told me it should be possible to legally register width 245/45R18. The tyres in Slovenia are about 20-30€ cheaper per tyre for that dimension. And its safer after all...

because my rims are 9.5 and i want the tire closer the outside. ;)

Just now, GnurkeGnurk said:

because my rims are 9.5 and i want the tire closer the outside. ;)

I didn't use words properly :P. Why you have different sizes of rims front/back on a Superb haha