Front Wheel Bearing Replacement (2002)

Got a front wheel bearing grumbling and just wondered if I dare tackle it myself. I've looked on AutoDoc (see below) and there are a couple of things that concern me. These being:-

You have to hit the hub really hard to get it off the strut. What are the chances of cracking the casting and will the downward force damage the strut?

I have access to a press so extracting and replacing the bearing should be OK. The bloke in the video below makes it look really easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVthmJBaKc4

Cheers, Normski.

I found it more difficult to free off than that video shows - but should be doable. Use penetrating fluid/dismantling lubricant to help. I use plusgas.

No damage I'm aware of to the hub/shock on mine and I think it did need a fair bit of persuasion from my hammer!

Took my own hub off, having done quite a few for other customers. Easy as chips, if you have a lump hammer or even a copper-mallet.

This is the easy part, but for the hard one you also have access to a press anyway, so should be quite an enjoyable task.

I wish you the best and hope none of your bolts are awkward!

After removing the clamp bolt open up the jaws of the split collar part of the hub by hammering in a cold chisel between the inner faces, then with a bit of penetrating oil the hub will just fall off.

Definitely a press needed for the bearing.

I did not like the way he hammered directly on the unprotected end of the driveshaft thread, I know he wasn't really hammering just like the ball joints that ahd already been fitted a few minute before (they were new and shiny) but its very bad form, at least put the nut back on first.

On 26/04/2019 at 14:29, Ttaskmaster said:

Took my own hub off, having done quite a few for other customers. Easy as chips, if you have a lump hammer or even a copper-mallet.

This is the easy part, but for the hard one you also have access to a press anyway, so should be quite an enjoyable task.

I wish you the best and hope none of your bolts are awkward!

On 26/04/2019 at 15:48, J.R. said:

After removing the clamp bolt open up the jaws of the split collar part of the hub by hammering in a cold chisel between the inner faces, then with a bit of penetrating oil the hub will just fall off.

Definitely a press needed for the bearing.

I did not like the way he hammered directly on the unprotected end of the driveshaft thread, I know he wasn't really hammering just like the ball joints that ahd already been fitted a few minute before (they were new and shiny) but its very bad form, at least put the nut back on first.

Thanks for the advice guys. I forgot about the advantages of using a copper mallet as it does take the shock out of it. I bought one some time ago so I will did it out.

Nice tip about the cold chisel in the slot, didn't think about that.

Yes, the video is very slick. Just goes to show what you can do if you have all the right tools laid out in front of you. I have watched a few of these and they are a good source of learning.

50 minutes ago, Normski55 said:

Nice tip about the cold chisel in the slot, didn't think about that.

There is a tool designed for that job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Special-tool-Suspension-Strut-Spreader-Socket-For-VW-Volkswagen-Golf-Audi/401739025595?hash=item5d89830cbb:g:D24AAOSwHZhcpDBN&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true  

The other tip I have used, is to put the new bearings in the freezer overnight and heat the housing with a heat gun/blow torch before fitting as this will slightly expand the housing and the freezing will slightly shrink the bearing so making the fitment just a bit easier 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 23:24, nige8021 said:

There is a tool designed for that job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Special-tool-Suspension-Strut-Spreader-Socket-For-VW-Volkswagen-Golf-Audi/401739025595?hash=item5d89830cbb:g:D24AAOSwHZhcpDBN&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true  

The other tip I have used, is to put the new bearings in the freezer overnight and heat the housing with a heat gun/blow torch before fitting as this will slightly expand the housing and the freezing will slightly shrink the bearing so making the fitment just a bit easier 

Thanks Nige, does that mean you don't need the press?

If you buy a bearing installation kit you can easy make do without a hydraulic press.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23Pc-Front-Wheel-Drive-Bearing-Puller-Removal-Installation-Tool-Kit-Set/391780069549?epid=24029950216&hash=item5b37e970ad:g:UtwAAOSw~bFWMyBT&frcectupt=true

I have used this kit recently to change 2 wheel bearings on a golf which are exactly the same as an octy

Edited by SuperbTWM

Given the force that I had to use on my 12 tonne press I would never have thought a kit like that would have worked bvut if it did the job for you then it does!

An advantage not having to remove the hub from the vehicle, I think I will buy one just for the arbors to use on my press and one day it will pay for itself being used on the vehicle in situ.

18 minutes ago, Normski55 said:

Thanks Nige, does that mean you don't need the press?

No just makes it a bit easier.

Those tools @SuperbTWM has linked I have heard some people have used them OK others ended up with the bearing halfway in and having to then take it somewhere and get the job finished with a proper hyd press

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

An advantage not having to remove the hub from the vehicle, I think I will buy one just for the arbors to use on my press and one day it will pay for itself being used on the vehicle in situ.

That was all I bought it for initially, I have access to a press but then depending on the bearing you have to find a bit of round stock or pipe and turn it down and mess about, then find another piece to support the inner race as you press in the hub etc. I will say it was a struggle to initially break free as you get some corrosion behind the circlip but a bit of poking around the edge with a terminal screwdriver did the trick before I had to pull out the MAP gas.

Installation was easy, its pretty hard to screw it up unless you don't get the bearing square but you can make the same mistake in a press because the hub can be hard to position.

I did take a time-lapse of me fitting it which is quite amusing: 

Edited by SuperbTWM

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Given the force that I had to use on my 12 tonne press I would never have thought a kit like that would have worked bvut if it did the job for you then it does!

12Tonnes? Pah! Thats a tidge :D

When my semi indy mechanic did the Insignias rear bearings about 18months ago, he broke his home workshop kit trying to get them off..

Brought entire hub assemblies into his day job work shop, and maxxed out the 30T press with no joy.

It took 42Tonnes to get them out on the heavy duty press...

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Bigger and better then nothing.

Im only jokin ;)

The amount of effort needed for the hubs was just one mire thing to add to why that Insignia was a pita to own...