DCC & Virtual Cockpit worth it?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Superb Estate Sportline (2.0 TDI 190 PS 4x4 DSG) for October delivery when the VW Finance business rental contract expires on my current Octavia. The Superb will again be on a 3 year business rental deal. I fancy both DCC and the Virtual Cockpit but at £760 and £450 respectively that's quite a cost that I'll likely be paying in full across the 38 monthly payments. 

I do a mixture of local rural driving on knackered roads plus three trips a year to the Alps consisting of long haul autoroute driving combined with some great blasting around the mountain roads. The Comfort, Normal & Sports settings of the DCC could be perfect for me if it really works?

And I've been happy with the dashboard display on my current Octavia Estate (4x4 vRS DSG) so is the Virtual Cockpit a major step forward?

Thanks in anticipation. 

Edited by Spyderjon

I have both on my 2019 Sportline and I would definitely spec them again on another car. Virtual Cockpit no question, apart from offering so much more info to the driver, it also takes the cabin to the next level and the car feels classier and more up to date. Plus the stock Superb dials (not even a vRS trim exists remember) seem horribly dated, in my eyes at least.

DCC again yes. For the average driver it offers great flexibility for all sorts of moods and scenarios and the Sportline especially is that bit lower and firmer than the L&K so it does the trick most of the time *but* 

...If you are someone who likes modifying his cars and/or drive it enthusiastically often and/or come from and appreciate sharp cars in general, you could probably use that money on a quality aftermarket coilover set instead. Nothing wrong with a Sportline DCC in Sport but there's room for improvement. Depends on your background and preference.

Edited by newbie69

newbie69, Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate what you say about a coilover set but as this is a business lease car I can't do those kind of mods so DCC it is :biggrin:

56 minutes ago, Spyderjon said:

newbie69, Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate what you say about a coilover set but as this is a business lease car I can't do those kind of mods so DCC it is :biggrin:

No doubt go with DCC then and you'll be fine. The combo of the shorter Sportline springs and DCC dampers seems to offer the tightest handling among the other Superb trims (L&K DCC, Sportline non-DCC), still with enough comfort reserves when you want it. I came to a 272 Sportline DCC from a much firmer GTI and if it wasn't for a slight extra arch gap that I notice I'd be perfectly happy with the suspension overall (considering the car's size), definitely more control than I expected prior getting the car, when set to Sport.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jamesnz said:

But I don't really like the Virtual cockpit personally.  

Interesting...could you elaborate on why you don't like it, please? 

I personally don't like the analog dials in the Sportline and not because they are analog but because the off/white trim makes them look a little dated and I think the Sportline should have something more in-keeping with the 'sporting' credentials.  Though, the faux carbon trim looks naff so I suppose my argument is flawed but hey-ho :D

I think the VC looks clean and crisp and adds some modernity to an otherwise utilitarian (read: 'Boring') interior but I haven't used it in anger...

Edited by penguin17

10 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I personally don't like the analog dials in the Sportline and not because they are analog but because the off/white trim makes them look a lated dated and I think the Sportline should have something more in-keeping with the 'sporting' credentials.  Though, the faux carbon trim looks naff so I suppose my argument is flawed but hey-ho :D

I think the VC looks clean and crisp and adds some modernity to an otherwise utilitarian (read: 'Boring') interior but I haven't used it in anger...

I just think there's a lot going on on the VC. And I don't think it's worth the extra money you are paying for it. :) 

• Thanks 1

I have just taken delivery of a new Superb with Virtual cockpit and it is excellent, I find the navigation map is sensibly in front of you instead of looking sideways and all the information you want is also there in front of your eyes including speed limit warnings. The standard speedo and rev counter is so dated as to be unacceptable.

21 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I personally don't like the analog dials in the Sportline and not because they are analog but because the off/white trim makes them look a little dated and I think the Sportline should have something more in-keeping with the 'sporting' credentials.  Though, the faux carbon trim looks naff so I suppose my argument is flawed but hey-ho :D

I'm sure you knew this already but you can switch to the (boring) L&K blue trim on the VC via VCDS/OBDEleven if that's bothering you :tongueout:

On 05/05/2019 at 23:26, newbie69 said:

The combo of the shorter Sportline springs and DCC dampers seems to offer the tightest handling among the other Superb trims

I might be wrong here, but I believe a Sportline with DCC has the same suspension as any other Superb with DCC, and actually rides a little higher than a Sportline without DCC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simhub said:

I might be wrong here, but I believe a Sportline with DCC has the same suspension as any other Superb with DCC, and actually rides a little higher than a Sportline without DCC.

I think sportline suspension is lower than any other superb

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

I'm sure you knew this already but you can switch to the (boring) L&K blue trim on the VC via VCDS/OBDEleven if that's bothering you :tongueout:

I don't have the VC :sadsmile:

I'm referring to the off-white dial surrounds of the rev counter and speedo, on the analog dials.  

10 hours ago, simhub said:

Correct, Sportline DCC = L&K DCC = -10mm (lower) than stock. Sportline without DCC = -15mm but it's been reported to handle worse than a DCC Sportline. The improvement seems to be in the Sportline's DCC Sport settings (dampers) rather than in the 5 less mm of the springs.

On 20/05/2019 at 19:59, Jamesnz said:

I just think there's a lot going on on the VC. And I don't think it's worth the extra money you are paying for it. :) 

I wanted DCC and didn't want VC, but the two came together in my market.

I love DCC (comfort mode is creamy. Normal and Sport are 'normal' and 'sporty' for a large car :) ). 

I thought I would hate VC and was 100% skeptical, but ended up loving it. I would buy it again. No contest, no going back.

Edited by digifish
  • Like 1