How to change cluster eeprom?

Adjusting the odometer is technically "illegal" unless you are fitting a new one which is zero miles OR one that has "less" than you current one you are replacing.

Most can be adjusted / increased, but unless your a prefessional car clocker they cannot go back the other way. You need just a diagnostic tool (good one like Vagcom) to read your current one and then follow the correct procedure to replace it.

(see attached image)

Dashpanel_replacement.jpg

I have Vagcom but that will not read the pin or let me rewrite the eeprom memory. The new cluster is in mph and i need to change that to kph (imported part - a lot cheaper), i'm puting mk2 cluster into mk1 car so i need to change some variable in the eeprom to make the fuel gauge work properly. I've been reading on this "mod" and apparently i also need that pin (Vagcom can't read pin).

• 5 weeks later...

I would ask here....maybe somone can help... 

https://forums.ross-tech.com/forum.php

A word about Retrofits: If you have installed something in your car that isn't listed in the VW/Audi Parts Catalog as a direct replacement for a part that was installed in your car from the factory and you need help getting it working, please post your question in our forum so that others may contribute to the answers and benefit in the future.   Sorry, but we really can't answer every one of these kinds of questions, and no, we do not know what is needed to install a 3G MMI system in your Mk.5 GTI, however you will find tips for a number common retrofits in our Wiki.

• 3 months later...
On 29/06/2019 at 12:06, WingedArrowFan said:

I've been searching for the answer on the internet for over a month and still nothing. I'm pretty sure that it is posible i just don't know what software it requires. Does anybody know?

Hi. Did you ever manage to get the PIN number for the mk2 cluster? If so, what did you use?