Collided With Pigeon and i need to Find a New Grille

Afternoon Folks,

Yesterday after driving to work me and a pigeon collide forcing the pigeon through my front grill splitting it in about 3/4 places, After wanting to pull all of my hair out after about 40 mins i managed to remove the grill and free the said pigeon

I've Searched over the internet and even its not looking broken i know its still split and i'm looking for a new one 

Where's the best place other than skoda ? Searching online all i seem to find is the other Grill which is Headlight Level

Even Though in the image it doesn't look Damage its rather split on the left side 

Any info would be awesome, Im looking to pick up an identical one so i can replace it :)

Cheers

Dean  

Front Grill .jpg

It's a shame when this happens. Glad you are ok and the car not badly damaged. It can be much worse with these things.

I had similar experience in February when a large pheasant landed in the road in front of me on the A12. I was doing 70mph. Unfortunately, the  bird tried to take off directly in front of me and I hit it square on while still doing 70. No chance of avoiding it. At least the bird didn't suffer for more than a split second. Damage to my C3 Citroen car was: nothing broken, lots of mess, grill pushed back inwards towards engine. I had to stop to check no fluid leaks etc but I was able to carry on with my journey. I was touch by the concern of other motorists at the time as at least two other cars stopped to make sure I was ok. The bird just exploded, it was a big heavy bird too. On the way home I drove to my dealer who was amazing. After reporting the issue at service desk a technician came out, washed the front of the car and did a full examination. Before I could say anything, they had the car good as new again. Not even a scratch on the car. NO CHARGE for the work they did which took about 45mins.

Lets hope neither of us has that issue again.

I hit a pheasant at about 70 years ago, cracked the windscreen. Explosion of feathers, and a call to Autoglass when I got home! I hit a badger in that car too, which cracked the plastic wheel arch liner. The car behind also hit the badger, don't know if it survived or not but knowing badgers I wouldn't be surprised if it did!

1 minute ago, vc-10 said:

I hit a pheasant at about 70 years ago, cracked the windscreen. Explosion of feathers, and a call to Autoglass when I got home! I hit a badger in that car too, which cracked the plastic wheel arch liner. The car behind also hit the badger, don't know if it survived or not but knowing badgers I wouldn't be surprised if it did!

Wow you must be really old (are you Prince Phillip?) if you had an accident 70 years ago (I suspect you mean at 70mph).:D

I was rather surprised how the fat hefty Wood Pigeon managed to get through the ordeal and remain alive,He even flew off afterwards, Bare in mind as it was scared it started creating a pile of mess as well, I still cannot understand why they choose to sit in the road when where i live your surrounded by Fields and all sorts. Maybe its a fun game they play !  :D

I think he Enjoyed his 6 Mile Journey in the front of my Car with the comfort of my Radiator Slowly roasting his little Feathers

Car Grill 0-1 Fat Hefty Wood Pigeon 

7 hours ago, Estate Man said:

It's a shame when this happens. Glad you are ok and the car not badly damaged. It can be much worse with these things.

I had similar experience in February when a large pheasant landed in the road in front of me on the A12. I was doing 70mph. Unfortunately, the  bird tried to take off directly in front of me and I hit it square on while still doing 70. No chance of avoiding it. At least the bird didn't suffer for more than a split second. Damage to my C3 Citroen car was: nothing broken, lots of mess, grill pushed back inwards towards engine. I had to stop to check no fluid leaks etc but I was able to carry on with my journey. I was touch by the concern of other motorists at the time as at least two other cars stopped to make sure I was ok. The bird just exploded, it was a big heavy bird too. On the way home I drove to my dealer who was amazing. After reporting the issue at service desk a technician came out, washed the front of the car and did a full examination. Before I could say anything, they had the car good as new again. Not even a scratch on the car. NO CHARGE for the work they did which took about 45mins.

Lets hope neither of us has that issue again.

Yeah I live out in the sticks So Deer and all sorts like to chill out in the middle of the road, Yeah it could of busted the Grille a lot more than it did, Skodas Service from the Website chat on a Sunday at 5pm to have an email 8am Monday with a part was awesome So i cannot complain about that, But the Pigeon came out better off :D

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Wow you must be really old (are you Prince Phillip?) if you had an accident 70 years ago (I suspect you mean at 70mph).:D

:D IF that was 70 years ago im sure the car would fall apart on impact :D

Cars from 70 years ago probably had solid metal bumpers in shiny chrome.

The type that would break your leg if they hit you.

Thanks AG Falco

6 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Cars from 70 years ago probably had solid metal bumpers in shiny chrome.

The type that would break your leg if they hit you.

Thanks AG Falco

Yeah :D Im sure some of them probably would 

I often leave for work at 05:15 which seems a popular time to find pigeons walking slowly on the road near my house. My theory is that they are constipated and need a near death experience of being nearly run over to clear the blockage (probably too many discarded McDonalds French Fries eaten).:worried:

Edited by shyVRS245
SPELLING MISTAKE
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I often leave for work at 05:15 which seems a popular time to find pigeons walking slowly on the road near my house. My theory is that they are constipated and need a near death experience of being nearly run over to clear the blockage (probably too many discarded McDonalds French Fries eaten).:worried:

Oh that's hilarious :D I still cannot figure out why they stick to the road, My mind boggles 

8 minutes ago, XaRiLeY said:

Oh that's hilarious :D I still cannot figure out why they stick to the road, My mind boggles 

Simple really many are retired RACING pigeons so they are trained to follow the shortest possible route which as we and they know is the RACING LINE.:)

On 14/05/2019 at 16:22, XaRiLeY said:

fat hefty Wood Pigeon

On 14/05/2019 at 16:22, XaRiLeY said:

Maybe its a fun game they play

Perhaps they think they are another type of bird and are playing ( at being ) chicken. 😄

Thanks AG Falco

Was the pigeon still alive when you removed it, did it fly away?

I can remember collecting a pheasant in my lower grille when I'd had the car only a week. It was still alive when I carefully removed it, luckily no damage to the car (grille pushed back, but easily refitted). The pheasant must have been able to move as it wasn't where I left it when I came home the same way after work.

Maybe, but I once actually saw one pheasant dragging another dead pheasant off the road and had to swerve to avoid them. Was pretty tragic to see to be honest, although for all I know it could of been a cannibal 🍖

I can't blame pigeons, pheasants or other animals for being in the road tbh. They mainly act on instinct and won't even have any clue what a road is. Pigeons especially are seed/insect eaters so pecking around on the floor for food when there isn't any noise/humans around is natural for them, especially when used to picking up scraps of food people drop/feed them. I'm always super careful driving in residential area's after midnight as around here as there are a lot of local cats that are more adventurous at that time and again have no idea what roads are, they just avoid them when noisy. It's why we lock ours in overnight.

Was driving in a van on the way back from London once on the motorway, pigeon flew into the windscreen while we were doing 60 mph... No idea how it didn't break, and no idea if the pigeon survived but was certainly a brown trouser moment! I'm guessing it didn't survive though. My parents had a pigeon fly directly into their back window at home... Left a nice pigeon shaped mark on the window but died instantly so a 60mph smack... not much chance. Crazy.

I have read somewhere that birds' reflexes are pretty quick and those of pigeons particularly so. Thus they react to approaching vehicles at we consider to be too late....and sometimes it is.

why do they like roads?  Perhaps the tarmac retains more heat. 

1 minute ago, alltorque said:

I have read somewhere that birds' reflexes are pretty quick and those of pigeons particularly so. Thus they react to approaching vehicles at we consider to be too late....and sometimes it is.

why do they like roads?  Perhaps the tarmac retains more heat. 

Perhaps it gives them more time to escape a predator such as a fox which by the time it has left the cover of some bushes the pigeon has enough time to escape and take to the air. Would also explain why you see so many foxes run over in the road as they try and capture breakfast or simply collect some roadkill already lying there waiting for a scavenger.:thinking:

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps it gives them more time to escape a predator such as a fox which by the time it has left the cover of some bushes the pigeon has enough time to escape and take to the air. Would also explain why you see so many foxes run over in the road as they try and capture breakfast or simply collect some roadkill already lying there waiting for a scavenger.:thinking:

That all makes perfect sense, good thinking.  One of our neighbours has a wood-burner and it has an external S/S flue with a rain cap on it. More often than not there is a pigeon squatting on top of the cap, presumably for the warmth. However, with your reasoning in mind......maybe it's the ultimate fox-spotting position, or hawk spotting position.  The latter is probably more likely than the former, unless our local foxes are very slim, very shiny and wonderful climbers.  Or can high-jump beyond the imagination of mere humans.  Yes, I know, being silly here.

on a more serious note, i have seen a pigeon taken by a hawk whilst just sitting on our back fence.  Didn't see the hawk coming, just an explosion of pigeon and feathers followed by the hawk with the pigeon pinned to the lawn and covering it with it's wings. Pretty darned impressive.  If hawks can have facial expressions, this one's was sort of; "Wot you lookin' at, then?".  So maybe, the flue actually is a hawk-spotting point?  Nah, pigeon's just like warmth.  

Have a nice weekend.

• Thanks 1

@XaRiLeY Just reading the title..........................................................I thought you wanted to cook it, Lol.

Edited by Tilt