09 2.0TDI Box - Swap for a 16 Plate 2.0TDi box?

DaveAber

Let me know if this is possible;

I've been offered a 09 plate Mk1 2.0TDi 4x4 Yeti (99500 miles), with, apparently, a DMF failure. Also has a binding O/S rear caliper which seems to have overheated the wheel bearing. 

As you would expect, it sounds like an orchestra gone badly wrong on a test drive (but does drive very well). - And it's cheap!

I've never heard a failed DMF before - sounds like a straight cut box or an input bearing about to let go to me. Is this typical of a failed DMF?

So - I also have access to a 16 pate Mk2  2.0TDi 4x4 breaking for spares with a good box / clutch.

Can I realistically swap the box / flywheel / clutch from the 16 plate into the 09 one? 

Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

DMF failure is very common on Yeti and similar VW and Audi vehicles.

The flywheel is in two parts with shock absorbers between so that sudden engagement of clutch is mitigated in its shock impact on flywheel.

There was a period when substandard parts were used leading to a lot of failures.

Good chance the components have changed as the 2016 car is a euro 6 engine with the benefit of improvements to the DMF to make it more reliable. However others may know better.

14 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

The flywheel is in two parts with shock absorbers between so that sudden engagement of clutch is mitigated in its shock impact on flywheel.

All clutch plates have spring shock absorbers for that, the DMF is more for smoothing the firing pulses of the engine especially at low revs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@DaveAber - Even if it's possible, is it actually worthwhile? It's several hours work to change the clutch assembly on most FWD cars.

My main concern is that (as I've not personally heard / suffered a DMF failure before) id this - I'm being told it's a DMF failure, but to me it sounds like a gearbox issue.

If the entire box, flywheel and clutch can be swapped without much in the way of compatibility headaches then that would be a load off my mind - the '16 plate parts are effectively free to me.

To swap the box at the same time is not much more work than doing the clutch / flywheel - as long as there are no knock-on complications.

15 hours ago, DaveAber said:

Let me know if this is possible;

I've been offered a 09 plate Mk1 2.0TDi 4x4 Yeti (99500 miles), with, apparently, a DMF failure. Also has a binding O/S rear caliper which seems to have overheated the wheel bearing. 

As you would expect, it sounds like an orchestra gone badly wrong on a test drive (but does drive very well). - And it's cheap!

I've never heard a failed DMF before - sounds like a straight cut box or an input bearing about to let go to me. Is this typical of a failed DMF?

So - I also have access to a 16 pate Mk2  2.0TDi 4x4 breaking for spares with a good box / clutch.

Can I realistically swap the box / flywheel / clutch from the 16 plate into the 09 one? 

Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

I believe there have been some instances of failed DMF and/or clutch machining their way right through the bellhousing - might be worth having a search for more info on that. It could be the cause of the noises you're hearing.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 12:55, muddyboots said:

I believe there have been some instances of failed DMF and/or clutch machining their way right through the bellhousing - might be worth having a search for more info on that. It could be the cause of the noises you're hearing.

Yep.  Happened on mine.  The first I knew of it, was a manky burning oily type smell coming through into the cabin, when stopped at traffic lights.   then a day later, I couldn't select any gears, as teh clutch wasn't disengaging.    what had happened was the spring plate (the one that has loads of "fingers" on) had fatigued, and partially disintegrated.  the lumps of metal flying around had basically cut a lovely groove into the bellhousing, through the clutch slave cylinder feed pipe, and just through into the gearbox.  The manky smell was gearbox oil dripping down onto something hot .   It needed a new clutch, clutch slave cylinder, welded repair to the gearbox casing and bellhousing, and a new DMF whilst it was in pieces.

The annoying thing was that Skoda washed their hands of any responsibility, despite the clear evidence of metal fatuigue on the broken parts, that can only be attributed to an incorrectly designed/manufactured part of the clutch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andy Sayle said:

metal fatuigue on the broken parts, that can only be attributed to an incorrectly designed/manufactured part of the clutch

I did a bit of metallurgy at college, and you are absol-frelling-lutely correct there.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

I did a bit of metallurgy at college, and you are absol-frelling-lutely correct there.

Me too.  I even provided evidence in text books that had almost the exact same patterns across the failed bits of metal.  Still nothing from Skoda.  It's a shame because apart from that, the car has been bloody brilliant.  Oh and the diamond cut alloys cording, but that's common across all manufacturers...

• 2 months later...

To close this query off, I decided not to swap the boxes/DMFs/Clutches from the '16 plate to the 62 plate car.

I bought the noisy 62 plate one, had the box out and the clutch & flywheel appeared to be OK. 

We popped the plastic cover off the tail end of the gearbox, and the end bearing on the input shaft was in a sorry state. 

Drained the box, there was a bit of metal flake in the oil and on the magnet. 

Opened the box up - everything else looked perfect.

So - swapped the bearing (machine shop job to press it off/on), rebuilt box, replaced clutch, also did discs/pads all round, front ARB links and the o/s/r wheel bearing. 

All back together now, and it's quiet as a monastery. Lovely. 

According to the machine shop, this bearing failure isn't at all rare on these 'boxes.

I now have a bargain Yeti and a 🙂 

YetiBoxBearing.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...