Scala 1.0 petrol or 1.6 diesel?

Forgive my lack of deep technical stuff, but I have a simple question (I think!).

In a perfect world I would probably be thinking of the 1.5 DSG Scala as a replacement for my current Octavia. Now retired, my mileage is only around 9k/year, so would indicate a petrol. 

However, I'm concerned about both elements of that... the 1.5 engine and the DSG gearbox!

My concern is which is the better engine for the following scenario. 3 adults and full luggage in boot - what is the mid-range acceleration going to be like when, e.g., joining fast traffic, or just needing to put my foot down to pass slower traffic on a long upward slope.

I'm no boy-racer (or adult-racer) but just want to have that power if I needed it!

Thank in advance.

Brian

Hi @ArtiHartySlartiBarti

For 9000 miles per year go for petrol.

The 1 litre tsi (in 110-115bhp form) is surprisingly good, even for 3 adults + luggage.   You would only really need the bigger engine if you drive in very hilly areas

The 1.5 seems to be ok will the DSG (for which it seems to be optimised), and maybe the problems with the manual box are now sorted

Regarding the DSG box, I would recommend purchasing the 5 year warranty prior to registration,  box is then covered (unlike the clutches on a manual)

You could always test drive the 1.0 in another vehicle such as Octavia, Karoq, Arona etc if you want to try it out

Thanks for the reply @SurreyJohn

I guess it's a good sign that they even fit the 1.0 in the larger bodies. I've been away from petrol engines for so long now - when I last had one 1.6 was the standard!

I plan to keep an eye on reviews etc to see if the 1.5 problems with manual have been fixed - although some people say the auto just hides them.

I'd prob by the warranty in any eventuality!

Cheers!

Brian