One week in...first impressions

Done about 100 miles in the kodiaq now. Was away at the weekend on a stag do so no long trips yet

The 1.5 TSI engine does seem a bit jerky in 1st/2nd gear moving off and driving slowly. Having driven my Mrs’ seat arona with 1.0 TSI/7sp DQ200 I was expecting better!

Ill have a look at some 1.5 TSI threads to see if I’m not the only one with this jerkiness. I’ve read about the loss of power and I don’t think it’s that, nor do I think it is the autohold. It feels to me like the clutch is being released and then being reengaged, like it’s trying to coast or something, but I assume there is a minimum speed for that?

Noticing how the engine behaves, it seems to mostly use 2cylinder mode at lower speeds in lower gears. On the motorway at 70 it uses 4 cylinders. The last car I had had was a Leon ST with the 1.4 TSI ACT and it was capable of pulling the car along at 70 on 2 cylinders on the flat. I did kind of expect this as it’s a bigger, heavier car. I got the impression the seat got better as I put miles on it, particularly the first few thousand. So maybe my assessment is premature. 

This car coasts, engine on, in normal mode and I would really prefer it if it didn’t!

like everything else about the car though. High driving position is a revelation and there’s so much space!

Im having a bit of a problem with the dealer, they forgot to put the factory ordered roof rack in the car at handover and I forgot all about it til I got home. I’m also missing an umbrella from the passenger door! I raised these points last  Thursday and they haven’t come back to me yet!

This is the main thread on the 1.5 TSI (albeit on the Karoq). Whether you view the fault (or 'characteristic' depending on if you work for Skoda or not), as jerkiness, or loss of power seems to depend on how you drive the car, driving environment, road conditions, plus some differences from model to model, but it is believed to all be related to the same software issues.

Skoda are supposedly working on 'a fix'...

The fault does appear to affect the Kodiaq too though...

Keep pushing the dealer on the umbrella and roof bars, they'll drag their feet in the hope you'll get bored and go away!

• Thanks 1

I got a call about the bits today saying they’ve got them and will be dropping them off at my house when it suits!

thanks for the links! 😊

Just Had a quick look at the first one. 79 pages 🙈

Edited by PoloGaz

Can a 1.5 petrol engine lug around 1800kg of metal effectively?

I'd be surprised and even more surprised at those who bought a Kodiaq with anything other than a diesel engine.

It's what diesels do well......haul weight.

It's why you won't find a petrol powered train?

44 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

I'd be surprised and even more surprised at those who bought a Kodiaq with anything other than a diesel engine.

Given the petrol version can be around 300kgs lighter than your assumption of 1800kgs, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Chinese developing an electro/magnetic train capable of 600kph........yes 600kph. Quite a bit faster than any diesel powered train.:nod:

• Like 1

Concorde and my Camping stove run on Kerosene.  My stove is slow as **** though.  And my diesel car is quite a bit faster than my stove.  I don't know what the hell is going on. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheRobinK said:

Concorde and my Camping stove run on Kerosene.  My stove is slow as **** though.  And my diesel car is quite a bit faster than my stove.  I don't know what the hell is going on. 

Hope your stove is safer than Concorde was!:whew:

8 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

Given the petrol version can be around 300kgs lighter than your assumption of 1800kgs, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Just to demonstrate the effect of weight on performance.

Skoda Kodiaq TDi 190 DSG 4X4 SEL 7seat weighs 1,720kg and from 30-50mph in 4th gear takes 6.4 seconds. In 7th gear at 70mph sits at 1,800rpm.

Peugeot 5008 TDi 180 EAT8 GT Line 7seat weighs 1,540kg and from 30-50mph in 4th gear takes 4.4 seconds. In 8th gear at 70mph sits at 1,600rpm.:nerd:

• Like 1

Our little 1.4 TSI 150PS hauls its 1,800Kg backpack around the houses remarkably well.

Add the fact it was over £2,000 cheaper than the 2.0 TDI 150PS diesel was a bonus too.

• Like 1

UK government is trying to kill off diesels. The 1.5 was much cheaper company tax than the 2.0 TDI. Around £50 a month extra for me and my personal mileage is very little. So you can blame the government for my decision to go for the TSI!

best trip I’ve done was around 44mpg indicated so far, just shy of 300 miles on the clock now. Got a 600 mile round trip to do this week so will see after that if I need to apply for fuel rate compensation. 🙈

Edited by PoloGaz

18 minutes ago, PoloGaz said:

UK government is trying to kill off diesels. The 1.5 was much cheaper company tax than the 2.0 TDI. Around £50 a month extra for me and my personal mileage is very little. So you can blame the government for my decision to go for the TSI!

best trip I’ve done was around 44mpg indicated so far, just shy of 300 miles on the clock now. Got a 600 mile round trip to do this week so will see after that if I need to apply for fuel rate compensation. 🙈

Ours has done 15,800 miles and last fill was 30 litres for 302 miles (just over £37).:thumbup:

1 minute ago, PoloGaz said:

I’d be very happy with that! That’s better than my Mrs gets from her arona! (1.0 TSI 7sp)

Averaged 57mpg down to Heathrow and 59mpg on the way home, loves longer trips. Her commute is 26 miles rural roads (A/B).:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes 1.5 TSI with the 7sp DSG box. 2WD

the computer reading at fill up was saying my average for the tank was 43.2mpg. So reading 3% high. That’s the most accurate I’ve ever had from the on-board ‘estimate’

It seems to be able to do 40+mpg cruising at 70, which is as much as I could have hoped for for such a big car

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 03:45, silver1011 said:

Our little 1.4 TSI 150PS hauls its 1,800Kg backpack around the houses remarkably well.

Add the fact it was over £2,000 cheaper than the 2.0 TDI 150PS diesel was a bonus too.

with the benefit of hindsight, would you still have chosen the 1.5 TSI over the 2.0 TSI ?