Uprated Clutch options?

Along with the gearbox failing, the clutch is also starting to go, theres no feel in it and it feels like it should be slipping even though its not. Now i understand the OEM is either LUK or a Sachs kit, and i can get hold of those myself, however only having 50K miles it is slightly concerning for the longevity of the new clutch. Are there any other uprated clutches that will handle a hilly area better than the OEM?

Also does anyone know what Skoda will charge to replace the clutch themselves?

Would they charge only labour if i gave them the parts or do they not accept customers parts?

11 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Would they charge only labour if i gave them the parts or do they not accept customers parts?

Why a dealer? - is it still under warranty?

You mention the gearbox failing - in what way and has it been repaired. A clutch has to be disturbed to do this.

Myself I'd avoid supplying parts as if there is a problem then what's at fault the parts or the fitting? Many garages will give a warranty on a new clutch that they supply and fit.

Edited by bigjohn

35 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Why a dealer? - is it still under warranty?

You mention the gearbox failing - in what way and has it been repaired. A clutch has to be disturbed to do this.

Myself I'd avoid supplying parts as if there is a problem then what's at fault the parts or the fitting? Many garages will give a warranty on a new clutch that they supply and fit.

It's still under warranty. Not yet repaired. The gearbox is very rough and vibrates under acceleration, worst in 5th where it sounds like a helicopter's hovering above the car! Manual 5spd btw.

It's been booked in for repair for a while, going in next week. I've mentioned the clutch already along with the gearbox issue, so if there's any way it can be linked to that then i might be able to get that repaired too.

I will query my dealer about the clutch on tuesday when it goes in for the gearbox repair.

I was asking about uprated clutches because I'm considering remapping a year or two down the line when warranty has ran out. And if the clutch has worn at just 50k miles, then what will it last with 215nm vs 160nm?

As they are doing a gearbox repair you may get the clutch replaced anyway. Sometimes it is possible to negotiate for you to just pay for the parts - when I had a brake warranty disk issue on an Octavia years ago I got a free repair - I just paid for new brake pads (no labour).

You need to be careful re future remap - I don't think that 5 speed box can take much more.

Edited by bigjohn

9 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

As they are doing a gearbox repair you may get the clutch replaced anyway. Sometimes it is possible to negotiate for you to just pay for the parts - when I had a brake warranty disk issue on an Octavia years ago I got a free repair - I just paid for new brake pads (no labour).

You need to be careful re future remap - I don't think that 5 speed box can take much more.

Hmm, i put about 5k extremely hilly miles in about 2 months late last year, went through an entire set of front discs/pads in the same time. Just the car just really struggled to pull up hills with anything much less than WOT.

How easy is a 5spd to 6spd swap? Are they even enough to cope with the remap? I read the shafts are hollow on the 5spd and solid on the 6spd, but otherwise its the same box (with an extra gear of course).

There are various different versions of the MQ100, MQ200, MQ250 and MQ350 gearboxes with lots of codes. My Superb 1.4 125ps has a 6 speed version of the MQ200 as code "NBX" but newer more powerful versions have the MQ250. I'm not sure of how easy they are to swap - it's been many years since I did that sort of stuff!

I think MQ200 copes with 200Nm , MQ 250 copes with 250Nm etc.......

Useful link:- https://demo.partslink24.com/vwag/skoda_parts/group.action?catalogMarket=CZ&episType=797&familyKey=90902&lang=en&localMarketOnly=true&maingroup=3&modelYear=2017&ordinalNumber=5&partDetailsMarket=CZ&startup=false&mode=K00U0DEXX&upds=794

What gearbox code do you have? - Look at the boot Info sticker.

Edited by bigjohn

On 26/05/2019 at 10:33, bigjohn said:

There are various different versions of the MQ100, MQ200, MQ250 and MQ350 gearboxes with lots of codes. My Superb 1.4 125ps has a 6 speed version of the MQ200 as code "NBX" but newer more powerful versions have the MQ250. I'm not sure of how easy they are to swap - it's been many years since I did that sort of stuff!

I think MQ200 copes with 200Nm , MQ 250 copes with 250Nm etc.......

Useful link:- https://demo.partslink24.com/vwag/skoda_parts/group.action?catalogMarket=CZ&episType=797&familyKey=90902&lang=en&localMarketOnly=true&maingroup=3&modelYear=2017&ordinalNumber=5&partDetailsMarket=CZ&startup=false&mode=K00U0DEXX&upds=794

What gearbox code do you have? - Look at the boot Info sticker.

My gearbox code is PED. It's the 5spd variant of the "02T" box, since the 6spd is technically the same box, it should be an easy swap? 

It's in for repair at the moment so i'll see how that goes before i consider anything else anyway.

The 1.2 90ps only kicks out 160NM, but it seems the MQ200 gearbox is having issues with that. Unless it's a faulty bearing that's causing the problem. A remap brings it up to usually around the 215NM mark.

Also investigating a slight boost leak, maybe what was causing the noticable turbo lag & high oil temps with the turbo having to work harder to maintain boost.

I've found an uprated Sachs performance clutch kit, which can take 30% more transmittable torque. It's more the wear i was interested in, as the clutch seems pretty well rated for its application anyway (feel's like mines hardly gripping, yet it still doesnt slip).

3 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

The 1.2 90ps only kicks out 160NM, but it seems the MQ200 gearbox is having issues with that. Unless it's a faulty bearing that's causing the problem. A remap brings it up to usually around the 215NM mark.

I think I have a six speed MQ200 gearbox in my 1.4tsi 125ps Superb and it seems fine thus far - at 5 years old and about 73,000 miles. Mine must be at the max of the allowed limits as it produces 148lbft which is about 200Nm - remind me to avoid a remap!

I think if you go to 215Nm then you will need the MQ250 gearbox - or buy a more powerful car.

I don't think interchanging gearboxes is a simple as it used to be - back in the day I remember lots of Ford Cortina gearboxes were interchangable (give or take a few minor issues such as the starter motor getting in the way!) . My MQ200 has an external clutch slave cylinder (one reason I bought it!) but I think some bigger gearbox versions have a concentric clutch slave cylinder - I think there are different mount kits depending on the car body/age/engine etc... Some versions don't have a DMF either (mine doesn't - another reason I bought it!) 

Edited by bigjohn

On 28/05/2019 at 15:27, FabiaGonzales said:

My gearbox code is PED. It's the 5spd variant of the "02T" box, since the 6spd is technically the same box, it should be an easy swap? 

It's in for repair at the moment so i'll see how that goes before i consider anything else anyway.

Also investigating a slight boost leak, maybe what was causing the noticable turbo lag & high oil temps with the turbo having to work harder to maintain boost.

I've found an uprated Sachs performance clutch kit, which can take 30% more transmittable torque. It's more the wear i was interested in, as the clutch seems pretty well rated for its application anyway (feel's like mines hardly gripping, yet it still doesnt slip).

Mine is also 5-speed 90ps remaped by revo, i have 55k KM no turbo leaks or any sounds from the turbo (have other sounds...). 

take in to notice that if you dont use the max of your car at low gears it`s not that of an isusse i think, check it out https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/fabia-mk3-2015-/232/stage-1

BTW,  i saw online IS20 turbo change on that engine not finding at the moment but i dont remmber that they change the gear box.

10 hours ago, eyalasd said:

Mine is also 5-speed 90ps remaped by revo, i have 55k KM no turbo leaks or any sounds from the turbo (have other sounds...). 

take in to notice that if you dont use the max of your car at low gears it`s not that of an isusse i think, check it out https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/fabia-mk3-2015-/232/stage-1

BTW,  i saw online IS20 turbo change on that engine not finding at the moment but i dont remmber that they change the gear box.

It's a little plastic adapter that's right between the charge pipe and the turbo, leaks slightly on mine.

On 28/05/2019 at 17:02, bigjohn said:

I think I have a six speed MQ200 gearbox in my 1.4tsi 125ps Superb and it seems fine thus far - at 5 years old and about 73,000 miles. Mine must be at the max of the allowed limits as it produces 148lbft which is about 200Nm - remind me to avoid a remap!

I think if you go to 215Nm then you will need the MQ250 gearbox - or buy a more powerful car.

I don't think interchanging gearboxes is a simple as it used to be - back in the day I remember lots of Ford Cortina gearboxes were interchangable (give or take a few minor issues such as the starter motor getting in the way!) . My MQ200 has an external clutch slave cylinder (one reason I bought it!) but I think some bigger gearbox versions have a concentric clutch slave cylinder - I think there are different mount kits depending on the car body/age/engine etc... Some versions don't have a DMF either (mine doesn't - another reason I bought it!) 

Turns out my box had a manufacturing fault, the synchro mesh on 5th gear slowly deteriorated, leaving metal particles in the oil, slowly destroying everything else. Getting a whole new gearbox, under warranty for no charge!

Having the clutch replaced while they're in there, at part price, no extra labour, as the other one was very very worn, even the technician was suprised it wasn't slipping!

I'll see how the new box and clutch fare over the next year, save up some extra money in case there are issues and remap. I'm wanting to keep the car for some time, so i may end up going with a hybrid turbo further down the line too, should take it to around 180PS with some uprated injectors + K&N filter for the extra flow.

Edit:

Hybrid turbo - http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/5025/jbs-12-tsi-hybrid-turbo-kit-early

Fits both the 1.2 TSI versions, the 8v chain driven one in the MK2, and the 16v belt driven one in the MK3.

May even fit the 1.0 TSI, as it appears to use the same turbo again.

Edited by FabiaGonzales
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I'll see how the new box and clutch fare over the next year, save up some extra money in case there are issues and remap. I'm wanting to keep the car for some time, so i may end up going with a hybrid turbo further down the line too, should take it to around 180PS with some uprated injectors + K&N filter for the extra flow.

Hybrid turbo - http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/5025/jbs-12-tsi-hybrid-turbo-kit-early

Good result re grarbox and clutch

Re Hybrod turbo, that's 180ps and 180 ft lbs (244Nm) - think that will destroy your current- er replaced gearbox/clutch!

Edited by bigjohn

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Good result re grarbox and clutch

Re Hybrod turbo, that's 180ps and 180 ft lbs (244Nm) - think that will destroy your current- er replaced gearbox/clutch!

If i have enough money kicking around for near 2 grand on a turbo, i should be able to source and fit an MQ250 6spd box at the same time, and the sachs uprated clutch! I hope at least... unless i hit more wheel and suspension damaging potholes that is.

• Like 1

Quick update on my cars gearbox/clutch problem.

The clutch was almost fully worn out. I suspect that's probably just the drawback of living in sheffield where theres like nowhere that isn't a hill!

The synchro mesh had a manufacturing fault on 5th gear, slowly leaving the oil with more and more tiny bits of metal which eventually destroyed bearings, causing excessive play and vibrations in 3rd but mostly 5th gear.

They replaced both the clutch and put an entire brand new gearbox in! The gear shifts are much more refined and the gearstick feels better too. Looks like the gearbox is of slightly different design, as it's noticably larger than the old one.

Here it is in it's shiny glory;

image0.thumb.jpg.d2b73f6051785bbb521d22bfe2a9a3da.jpg