New VRS Owner

23 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That’s a MIB2 Bolero, great news, it will have SmartLink for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay/MirrorLink which is better than the factory nav anyway. If that’s not been activated it’s £137 but if it’s not activated you can use the fact that the car was advertised with nav as leverage for a free/discounted activation :)

Can I get apple CarPlay to work on this, if what I need to change to get it working? 

CE8AF318-936C-4171-B130-4081EE5850B2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Dan77 said:

Can I get apple CarPlay to work on this, if what I need to change to get it working? 

Looks like an MIB1 system, what year and month is the car?

Apple car play/Android auto can only be activated by a dealer on an MIB2 system, which were fitted mid 2015 I believe.

Dealer inputs a licence code, costs about £120 as mentioned

13 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Looks like an MIB1 system, what year and month is the car?

Apple car play/Android auto can only be activated by a dealer on an MIB2 system, which were fitted mid 2015 I believe.

Dealer inputs a licence code, costs about £120 as mentioned

Ah, my cars a 2014, could I just get a new screen and have it activated or is there more involved? 

2 minutes ago, Dan77 said:

Ah, my cars a 2014, could I just get a new screen and have it activated or is there more involved? 

The screen is just a screen, there is the glovebox unit also, which contains the processor and connections. Not usually viable, is probably cheaper to fit an aftermarket unit.

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

I put 55k miles on a Leon FR TDI 184PS (shared mechanicals) which I had remapped with a REVO stage 1, very early on (~3k miles on the clock).  I had no issues whatsoever in terms of clutch, mechanicals, ECU, DPF etc etc, absolutely nothing.  I can thoroughly recommend it; it completely transforms the engine and I also noticed improved economy too (~5%)

Now what mileage is yours and what's its service history?  I would defo look for a reputable tuner who will give the car a thorough health/diagnostic check before they do anything; more so when the car has previous owners, as you just can't be sure how it's been driven/maintained.  The remap likely won't cause problems but could easily accelerate/exacerbate underlying issues caused by lack of 'mechanical sympathy' from it's previous owners.  Worse case scenario you may need to replace parts as a pro-active measure. 

Higher mileage components may not be able to tolerate the extra torque/bhp as some parts will naturally be nearing the end of their life expectancy but the tuner should be able to advise you of this.    If everything checks out then go for it.  

The car is a low example with 26k on it, it apparently has recently been serviced at 25k with all the filters but doesn't say anything about the oil. As such i will be getting Millers Oil put in. used to run this in my 400bhp scooby and it never missed a beat, slightly on the expensive side but when i tore the block down to forge it it was immaculate inside.

Im looking at going to Darkside Developments in Barnsley as I've heard good things about them and from what I've seen online they seem to know their stuff.

@SashaGrace slight update, the dealership have checked the radio and it does indeed not have Sat Nav. Im now awaiting their response as to what they are going to do about it as they are now having to recheck the add that they placed for my car to see if it was stated on their that sat nav was included. If it is they are having to fork out £199 for the Smartlink fitting at my local Skoda.  Must be a lot cheaper where you live ? The dealers have agreed to pay me the full amount to get the wheels refurbed though so it hasn't been a totally unsuccessful trip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan77 said:

CE8AF318-936C-4171-B130-4081EE5850B2.jpeg

That is indeed a MIB1, to get CarPlay you will need to change the screen, the radio and the USB. Pop over to my build thread and you’ll see loads of info on there as I’ve done this twice now :)

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

The part is £122 and 15-20 mins fitting, dealer is ripping you off!! I’d still make them pay myself though, it’s their money lol.

If I end up having to pay for it myself I'll do abit of shopping around. The dealer seemed like he was over priced on most items tbh, like I said he wanted 72 quid just for the mats.

5 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That is indeed a MIB1, to get CarPlay you will need to change the screen, the radio and the USB. Pop over to my build thread and you’ll see loads of info on there as I’ve done this twice now :)

I’m guessing that will cost a far bit? Not overly bothered but it would nice if it could be done without spending a fortune!

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Depends which radio you want. MIB2 Amundsen with an 8 inch screen fully activated is running about £500 all in these days, just over double for a MIB2.5 Columbus like mine.

Sasha which Skoda did you use for the smart link at £139 ?

I changed the radio in my car for SmartLink, mine is a 2014, then went for a 2016 one and now a 2019 one. £137 is what my local dealer charge for SmartLink and it’s the best retail price you’ll get, £122 for the part and 15-20 mins fitting time.

11 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I changed the radio in my car for SmartLink, mine is a 2014, then went for a 2016 one and now a 2019 one. £137 is what my local dealer charge for SmartLink and it’s the best retail price you’ll get, £122 for the part and 15-20 mins fitting time.

once the dealer has gotten back to me with a diffinitive answer I'll certainly be shopping around to get the best price for it.

17 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

• Like 1

Has anyone bought the Ebay Leds for the interior and license plate. I know buy cheap buy 4000x but in the past I haven't done too bad with Ebay canbus free ones.

44 minutes ago, Ash007ks said:

Has anyone bought the Ebay Leds for the interior and license plate. I know buy cheap buy 4000x but in the past I haven't done too bad with Ebay canbus free ones.

There are genuine led units you can fit for the number plate. You'd be better getting the led units rather than a led bulb in the halogen housing.

For interior I used some Osram ones off Amazon. Bit pricier at about a fiver a bulb but a perfect white 4.5-5k rather than the blue tinge 6k+ ones you usually get cheap on eBay. Also warrantied for a few years too I think.

7 minutes ago, ahenners said:

There are genuine led units you can fit for the number plate. You'd be better getting the led units rather than a led bulb in the halogen housing.

For interior I used some Osram ones off Amazon. Bit pricier at about a fiver a bulb but a perfect white 4.5-5k rather than the blue tinge 6k+ ones you usually get cheap on eBay. Also warrantied for a few years too I think.

Have you got the links for the bulbs ?

Thanks for the links, next mods for the car are going to be satin black wheels , black badges ,led bulbs on the inside, silver bulbs for the front indicators, tints on the rear and hopefully smart link if i can get it for a good price ( still awaiting the dealer getting back to me).

I'll also be doing some shopping around in the south Yorkshire area to find a reputable diesel remapped that isnt ridiculously priced.

Just remember that LED plate lights and sidelights etc will need coding to run LED’s, otherwise you will get bulb failure warnings. Also changing the front indicators requires cutting the back of the headlight and then putting repair bungs in which can be bought from Skoda. Interior is not monitored by CANBUS so it doesn’t matter in there.

Is this where ive seen the programming function that has been stickied ? 

ive always just ran canbus error free bulbs and never had an issue back when i used them on my VXR and that was a nightmare canbus system. Take it is totally different system.

Yes, to make changes on the car you will need an OBDEleven device or VCDS. There is a lot that can be done with these cars. You can get error free LED’s for the exterior bulbs but they never last. You can get OEM LED plate lights from an FL for not a lot of cash and they look so much better. You will need a coding tool to tell the car it has LED lights.

1515FA3B-ABB8-457C-9DEE-FB13181D4C17.thumb.jpeg.0ec30dd1e3b20a116792e97e5966c874.jpeg

Are these coding devices pretty straight forward to use and is there any specific make or brand I should look at ?

Looks like my shopping list has gotten slightly bigger. Cheers sasha.

Soooo the dealership has come back to me with a response,  the car is going in for the smart link fitting free of charge and also in for its wheels fully refurbing. Stay tuned for some more pictures when it's done. Only other thing I've done is tried it on shell V power diesel and it seems slightly more responsive as well as now getting 52mpg or 49.5 average.