How to get the car on Skoda Connect?

I could really do with some help please....

Trying to get my new car to connect to Skoda Connect.I've set up my account and can get the car online and seeing everything  ONLY if its on my drive and connected to the wifi in my house, but I simply cannot get it online any other way? Even when my Samsung S9 is connected by USB with all the permissions I can see enabled, it says the car is not connected to the internet?

I thought it should either:

1. Have its own SIM and connect while in its first year or

2. Be able to use my phone to connect?

I'm getting confused here so would appreciate some guidance - is there a phone setting I am somehow missing or a car setting somewhere to allow it online some other way?

TIA

Edited by Bigpikle

2 minutes ago, john999boy said:

There's a few recent threads about connecting a 3 SIM that has free included data - every month!

Thanks - I saw those, but aren't you supposed to be able to use your phone?

That's what I can't seem to do though. It's weird as when it's locked on the drive I can sound the horn etc but I can't get it to connect via my phone for the Connect services. 

You have to use ‘shared internet’ on your phone, and then connect to the car. The car also has a build in e-sim of some sort, tho this only gives you the basics on the app such as horn, flash the lights, sos and info button.

I’ve noticed that using shared internet that the car does not connect automatically, so I purchased an extra sim and it works much more streamlined. 

Edited by BGB
  • Thanks 1

I'll put my question here rather than starting a new thread.

My car's over a year old so the connect has expired. I received emails at the time, but didn't get around to extending it.

Now that I've finally pulled my finger out and got around to renewing, I can't for the life of me work out how to. I've logged into the portal, but can't see anywhere to renew.

Anyone else been through this?

I have another mapping / connect issue. Mine has just turned a year old and I have not renewed connect. now when I try to turn on google maps via the navigation I get a licensing error warning and they won't display.