Gear lever sensor faulty

Hi guys,

any advice you can give me on this problem would be appreciated.

Every so often I was getting a pop up message on dashboard, Error Workshop position lever in P.

i took to the Skoda dealer here in Stockport and they have told me the gear lever sensor is faulty and requires replacing.... at a cost of 1k!! £600 for parts and £400 labour!! Skoda told me I can still drive the vehicle but recommend to get it fixed. Also it’s due for an MOT... if it fails on MOT.... dreading it!

Would anyone know a good good quality mechanic who can do the job? Looking for quotes. 

Cheers guys

It won't fail an MOT.  My car has been doing this for the last few years (when it was under warranty the local dealer denied there was a a fault).

1 hour ago, benterrier said:

I hope the guy who designed the components and application that cause so many people grief with this fault is proud of himself. More VAG crap.

I'm guessing he didn't have quite enough loose change in his pocket when he got to the counter at Ye Olde Microswitch Shoppe 🙄

G

Blimey!!! not sure what to do now!  I love my Octavia but cant afford that type of a repair, especially if its a common fault!

Shall I sell not sell ...... decisions decisions

10 hours ago, logiclee said:

It's a common fault. I had three gear levers and even a new lever could fault in a matter of weeks.

Thanks for link will have a good read

5 hours ago, SkodaKing said:

Mines in for this fault this week. Luckily covered under my used warranty. 

I don't think its the gear lever itself, something lower down in the car / gear box?

Let us know what they say if you have time.

This is what the official fault is and parts required....

20190526_191853333_iOS.jpg

Mine came back with this diagnosis and quote :

Requires new gear selector unit, clamp for exhaust, C clip for cable and 3x bolts for cable support bracket on gearbox £623.05 including fitting and VAT. 

The car had a new DSG lever fitted just after i purchased the car as the chrome was peeling. not sure if this is related or if it had this fault before they changed the gear selector. 

hoping to collect the car this afternoon or tomorrow morning, 3 days in their VW Touran is getting boring!

3 hours ago, SkodaKing said:

Mine came back with this diagnosis and quote :

Requires new gear selector unit, clamp for exhaust, C clip for cable and 3x bolts for cable support bracket on gearbox £623.05 including fitting and VAT. 

The car had a new DSG lever fitted just after i purchased the car as the chrome was peeling. not sure if this is related or if it had this fault before they changed the gear selector. 

hoping to collect the car this afternoon or tomorrow morning, 3 days in their VW Touran is getting boring!

Same s myself.

I had the original lever replaced because of peeling chrome and after a few months the new one started throwing up errors.

Lee

• Confused 1