Auto Breaking When Overtaking After French Trip

MJ1

I got back from Normandy last night and while on cruise control when overtaking after leaving the ferry my car hit the breaks. I think it thought I was still in France and that I was undertaking.

Not tried it today to see if it still does it, presume car still thought it was in France and I was trying to undertake.

One to watch out for?

Tap on acceleration overrode breaks but not sure if I *issed off anyone behind with my break lights.

Anyone had anything similar?

Had similar on our Seat which we took to France, ACC seemed to learn after about 3 overtakes on wrong side.  

Probably did same when you first arrived in France, for other side

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Had similar on our Seat which we took to France, ACC seemed to learn after about 3 overtakes on wrong side.  

Probably did same when you first arrived in France, for other side

Did not experience that, but mainly driving on single lane roads, so not really using cruise and overtaking.

On 11/06/2019 at 16:00, MJ1 said:

I got back from Normandy last night and while on cruise control when overtaking after leaving the ferry my car hit the breaks. I think it thought I was still in France and that I was undertaking.

Not tried it today to see if it still does it, presume car still thought it was in France and I was trying to undertake.

One to watch out for?

Tap on acceleration overrode breaks but not sure if I *issed off anyone behind with my break lights.

Anyone had anything similar?

what setting have you got on Auto brake

Hmmm not sure what setting do you mean? I will have a delve through the manual later today. I changed nothing other than beam for driving abroad, so I think the car computer changed something.

I have a long motorway trip on Saturday which is when next I will see if it still does it.

A quick update, all back to normal after a long motorway trip, auto Breaking works as you try to undertake as normal, not as it was trying to overtake.

I have made no changes so something under the hood was confused.

Not had / made time to check manual but just a heads-up for people returning from Europe.

Clever stuff in cars these days...

Wonder how much it will cost to repair when it breaks..

• 2 weeks later...

Just did 2600 mile round trip to Portugal. ACC ought to be programmable for right hand driving and vica versa. It's not so first few times after changing sides of the road it will not overtake until you accelerate past. As described, can be alarming and dangerous first time around and option to change in the same way for lights would be of great benefit

I have just got back from France with no problems. I wonder if the car makes the appropriate adjustment to the ACC when the headlight adjustment is made. Also, then car knows it is on the continent as soon as you leave the ferry by displaying the speed limits.

I had thought that but I had made adjustments for lights when heading back to UK on the ferry. So maybe that confused it? Perhaps leave that adjustments when back in UK.

I have had an occasional problem with the clock losing date and time, so maybe an issue with GPS connection?

Who knows what coded features they have...