Check Deadlock

I'm going to be asking all sorts of probably stupid questions as I get used to the car, so I've noticed Check Deadlock on the screen when I turn off the ignition and I followed the steps in the owners manual, but can't seem to disable this. The garage I bought it from (who service Skodas) didn't have a clue.

Also, can I change the secondary speed display to mph, as it currently shows speed in kilometres and I don't care about driving in Europe, but being able to know how to toggle between them would be nice to know.

Its telling you the vehicle is configured with deadlocking, it can be changed with a diagnostic tool.

You can have the "alternate" speed in MPH (larger in the centre of the screen) again you have to disable alternate speed and enable "row" (rest of world settings) to make it work, this again needs a diagnostic tool like VCDS (vagcom) to do it.

Because its possible to lock someone in the car and in an emergency they cannot get out, how many times have you seen parents pull up and park, with child in car just to nip into shops as an example, they lock the car (as you would) not knowing that the interior handle of that vehicle is now useless, if it started to catch fire or anything worse (whatever that maybe) the child cannot escape the vehicle, in fairness neither would an adult.

yes its good for security, but it's better when its selectable by the owner when locking the vehicle as opposed to being "automatic"

In my Land Rover for example, I have to push the key fob twice "quickly" to what they call "superlock" (same thing), it was factory set to do it EVERYTIME, soon turned that off...

in the Fabia, pushing the key twice quickly "disables" it until the next locking / unlocking, and this is only in the manual, how many people read that!!...It really should be the other way around.....like my Land Rover I think.

The other thing, on a sort of side note......is "if" the lock fails in the deadlocked position, you cannot open the door...........what a mess that will be !!

Agreed, but not everyone notices the warning and yes your dumb if you lock your kids in the car, but see it all the time and locked cars with alarms going off.

Just my opinion thats it dangerous (hence several warnings in owners manual - RISK TO LIFE) it states and it should be driver initiated, not automatic.

6 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

it should be driver initiated, not automatic.

It is, you lock your own car, it’s not done by accident. 

But see your point, and so do Skoda hence the notification on the dash to actually read and understand the owners manual before locking passengers in the car unattended. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnfc2017 said:

I'm going to be asking all sorts of probably stupid questions as I get used to the car, so I've noticed Check Deadlock on the screen when I turn off the ignition and I followed the steps in the owners manual, but can't seem to disable this. The garage I bought it from (who service Skodas) didn't have a clue.

Also, can I change the secondary speed display to mph, as it currently shows speed in kilometres and I don't care about driving in Europe, but being able to know how to toggle between them would be nice to know.

Carista here for £15.99 will let you change the speedo to MPH and let you play about with so many advanced settings like door locking methods ,alarm tones etc,  They do one month free then ask you to subscribe, I can confirm the app still works if you opt out the subscription.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

I'll give Carista a go and see how I get on.

Carista here for £15.99 will let you change the speedo to MPH and let you play about with so many advanced settings like door locking methods ,alarm tones etc,  They do one month free then ask you to subscribe, I can confirm the app still works if you opt out the subscription.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to  permanently disable this stupid deadlock? I have to really press very hard more than twice and even then its temperamental? I could turn it of on my previous Skoda, but not this MK2 Fabia estate...:wall: 

Edited by neilybs6369

This isn't a feature of the deadlock, the deadlock locks the doors when you turn the key or use the remote so that nobody can smash a window and use the interior handle to open the door. If you disable this and your car is stolen, then your insurance company won't pay out.

There is a setting in the ECU where you can change the behaviour of the central locking from single click driver, double click all doors to single click all doors. I changed mine with Carista, but you could do it with VCCS.

3 hours ago, neilybs6369 said:

It's a pain in the rear. I just want to press once and all doors open. I could change the settings  myself on my VRS, but not on this.

Single door opening and dead locks are different things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, neilybs6369 said:

So it's looking like no then...

Deadlock is an anti theft device, so a no would be the right answer.

There is an older article on enabling single click unlock on all doors from 2016 that you might like to read.

Just now, neilybs6369 said:

Do you have to buy an OBD2?

The best solution if you are planning on Carista is their own OBD2 tool that connects to your smartphone.

For VCDS you need the right OBD2 cable.

On 13/06/2019 at 22:07, Tech1e said:

I wouldn’t remove dead locking, it’s a security feature that your insurance company expect you do have. 

It's also handy to lock Mrs G in the car at the shopping centres, get out quickly deadlock her in, saves money as she can't go into the spend spend spend mode on the Credit Card,  My Credit Card

Thank you Skoda, Simply clever.................

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Haha 4