Karoq 1.6 Tdi DSG, any owners out there

stokey

Hi 

I’m thinking of returning to the skoda food and due to a medical condition I need an automatic preferably an SUV. I want another PCH deal with rapid delivery. I have found suppliers with 1.6 Tdi DSGs shortly available .I’ve liked the Karoq since launch, but none of my local dealers have a 1.6tdi DSG to test drive. If there are any owners out there I’d appreciate you views.

Thanks in advance Stokey 

Hi stokey I have mine in black since August is brilliant to drive very comfortable only down side was the stop start a bit of a delay when starting off again but now I just turn it off when I get in the car so no longer an issue I had a 1.6 diesel quasquai before this and found it more economical to run but when the car needs fuel I just put it in and don’t really look at the mileage all in all quite pleased with the car and would recommend it 

• Thanks 1

I have 1.6 Tdi SE L DSG in Emerald green, no problems, lovely car and the DSG is a dream. Averaging about 49mpg. I used to have a 2.0 TDi DSG Yeti and Koroq is better.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had our 1.6 tdi DSG SE L since September. Great car, absolutely love it. Very economical once run in and am now getting 45mpg, mostly town driving with Eco mode selected and stop/start switched on.

Had one issue with rear brake pads squeaking whilst reversing at low speed, but took it to dealership and they fixed it under warranty.

My only annoyance is the gearbox not remembering to set ECO mode on startup, other than that, we love it.

Anyone w. DSG experience engine vibration as result of DSG keeping high gears on low rpms? I feel vibration while driving on slight inclines. Speed around 40mph and DSG keeps in 6tg so engine is running around 1200rpm. And if I keep foot steady on acc pedal, DSG is stubborn holding in 7th and low revs.

In general, I experience DSG downgrading too early e.g. stubborn on low revs around 1200rpm. So engine is not powerful enough and thus shaking not too much but noticeably in steering wheel and chassis.

On 17/07/2019 at 17:37, pa_ko said:

Anyone w. DSG experience engine vibration as result of DSG keeping high gears on low rpms? I feel vibration while driving on slight inclines. Speed around 40mph and DSG keeps in 6tg so engine is running around 1200rpm. And if I keep foot steady on acc pedal, DSG is stubborn holding in 7th and low revs.

In general, I experience DSG downgrading too early e.g. stubborn on low revs around 1200rpm. So engine is not powerful enough and thus shaking not too much but noticeably in steering wheel and chassis.

Some of these modern thingummies "learn" your driving technique and sort themselves to suit your style. Maybe drive to make 'progress' as they say. Or switch to standard or sport mode if you're in eco.

When I had one as a courtesy car I found there was a lack of acceleration, particularly in city use, and had to keep changing down using the paddles as it was in too high a gear, to get it to go, and I'm not usually a fast driver. Never had to do this with my 2.0 diesel DSGs. Obviously designed for economy rather than practical driving.

Yes, you can get round the tardy performance by using the paddles or Sport mode but it rather takes away the advantages of going for a DSG, certainly in normal Drive mode. 

Exactly. What is point of DSG and it's 'intelligence' if you have to downshift manually too often?

I find it very unpleasant experience. It doesn't need too much AI to figure out to downshift earlier. I hope they will update DSG software as I believe it is a problem of that 'intelligence' part. 1.6 TDI in Karoq has no balancing shaft so it is vibrant on low RPMs and DSG intelligence should be intelligent enough to keep it out of vibration rpm range IMHO...

• 2 months later...

Had ours for about a month now. Generally speaking love the car, but in retrospect would have rather got a slightly punchier engine.

Previous car was a 1.6 CDTi Astra manual and was really gutsy. Great cruiser and sharp of the mark.

The Karoq’s quick enough off the mark, though always strains to pull off. My main gripe is as soon as you get to 70mph and 2000 RPM it whines really badly, the noise is really intrusive and while it’ll go along at 80Mph it feels like the engine or gearbox is about to pack in.

Maybe i’m used to torquier diesels which are more comfortable, but do feel the heat ratios are a little off in the diesel DSG Karoq.

On 15/07/2019 at 08:35, Grumpa said:

Had our 1.6 tdi DSG SE L since September. Great car, absolutely love it. Very economical once run in and am now getting 45mpg, mostly town driving with Eco mode selected and stop/start switched on.

Had one issue with rear brake pads squeaking whilst reversing at low speed, but took it to dealership and they fixed it under warranty.

My only annoyance is the gearbox not remembering to set ECO mode on startup, other than that, we love it.

Grumpa.dod the dealer explain the cause of the rear brake noise,When I reverse of the drive my brakes occasionally make a kind of resonating noise rather than squeaking.Other than this minor issue love the car.

I’ve had my 1.5 DSG SEL for 9 months 9000 miles. 

I don’t like 6 speed manual gearboxes so went for my first auto. I won’t be going back to manuals, love the car and the varioflex seats makes the carrying capacity  excellent. 

Steve_G

The rear brake pads were faulty. They were on back order for a while and I got the impression that it was a recognised fault. Try and get a video of it happening for the dealer, I couldn’t replicate the fault on the day I took it in. Once the brakes warmed up it stopped making the noise. 

A resonating noise is probably a more accurate description of the noise! 

• Like 1

Update to my resonating brake issue,I have spoken to my dealer(RRG Bolton)who recognised the fault I described and I am booked in to have it rectified this week.Will update once completed.

On 15/07/2019 at 08:35, Grumpa said:

Grumpa,Could you tell me what the dealer did for your brake issue please?forewarned is forearmed eh?Did they change all the brake pads??

Steve_G

They replaced the rear brake pads under warranty. Unfortunately they were on back order at the time so I had to take it back a few weeks later. They did it while I waited. 

I was never able to video the problem as it only seemed to happen in wet weather and we had a dry spell at the time, but they believed me and did the work anyway. 

Thanks Grumpa,Im Due in tomorrow,doing it while I wait,I will update any information I get when I speak to someone at the dealer,but they acknowledged it was an issue straight away.

Update to my rear brake problem.Dealer changed my rear brake pads  for a different part number set of pads,service desk informed me that a Skoda Bulletin had been raised for the issue.Anyone who experiences a resonating noise for their rear brakes when reversing slowly,ie from a parking space.should be able to have them changed under warranty.