buy a fabia or peugeot 206 new?

i need some serious advice...

i am looking at buying the fabia classic 1.2htp (65hp) or the 1.4 75hp peugeot 206 both would be with manual transmission. which car has a more reliable set of mechanics?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 207 is not a replacement for the 206 habibi. It is a new model aimed at a different market segment, but the 206 has been so successful they're keeping it alive...don't see the point though.

MTech, cars nowadays are much better in quality than they were 5 years ago. In any case, whatever new car you get, you will be covered in the first 3 years.

Where quality becomes a concern, the 206 is cheaply built inside...extremely cheaply. Poor plastic finish and uncomfortable seats. It is also relatively heavier than the 1.2HTP Fabia, and considering the mere 10bhp difference over 200CC, your loking at a better performing car in the Fabia.

Besides that, the 1.2HTP has had excellent reviews.

I tried all the cars in the fabia/peugeot class when I got a fabia 1.4 mpi and nothing came close to the fabia in terms of overall quality, price etc. My wife hated the 206 as the interior felt very dingy especially with the sloping windscreen which made me feel as if I would nut the sun visor every time I braked. Theres no where near as much room in the 206 compared with the fabia.

I've had a 206 as a courtesy car and it wasn't very well put together.

Nowhere near as solid as the fabias I've driven.

If you want a small very reliable car then it's also worth looking at some of the japanese ones. A nissan micra might look a bit odd but it won't cause you problems

If you want a small very reliable car then it's also worth looking at some of the japanese ones. A nissan micra might look a bit odd but it won't cause you problems

I'd agree with this - the Fabia may be the most reliable European car on paper, but the Japanese are still leagues ahead. Nissan, Honda or Toyota would be a better bet, imho :D

Chris

I had a 206 for about 6 months - you need 3 foot long legs and 6 inch long arms or vice versa to be able to get comfortable in it. The driving position is truly mondeo!! :rofl:

The 207 is not a replacement for the 206 habibi. It is a new model aimed at a different market segment' date=' but the 206 has been so successful they're keeping it alive...don't see the point though.

MTech, cars nowadays are much better in quality than they were 5 years ago. In any case, whatever new car you get, you will be covered in the first 3 years.

Where quality becomes a concern, the 206 is cheaply built inside...extremely cheaply. Poor plastic finish and uncomfortable seats. It is also relatively heavier than the 1.2HTP Fabia, and considering the mere 10bhp difference over 200CC, your loking at a better performing car in the Fabia.

Besides that, the 1.2HTP has had excellent reviews.[/quote']

Whoa... didnt know that.. anyways i think that the 206 is already very old looking

I've come from a Pug 206 - most useless pile of sh*te I've ever owned!

Totally unreliable, it was in the garage every month without fail. Fuel system went, fuel injectors failed, power steering system failed, it would be easier to say what didn't break!

Would I buy one again? NO

I'm sure there are lots of happy owners out there, I'm just not one of them.

I'm with Chris and Dr Zee

i have been thru hell with my last car so i need a car with a reliable set of mechanics and strong parts to withstand the bad roads here where i live...

The Fabia came 5th in the recent Autoexpress Driver Power survey. Reliability was part of this assessment. Can't remember where the Pug was, but I suspect it was close to the bottom of the list!

Despite selling trillions of them,not many people seem too chuffed with the 206.

Neighbour swapped hers for a Yaris.She hated her 206 with a passion.

Yaris or Jazz should be tried.

Despite selling trillions of them' date='not many people seem too chuffed with the 206.

Neighbour swapped hers for a Yaris.She hated her 206 with a passion.

Yaris or Jazz should be tried.[/quote']

Peugeot's are normally in the bottom 10 to be honest the 206 is one of their better models (which is shocking)

The Jazz is a very good car, Honda's CVT(?)7 speed box is very good! Whilst at Honda the warrenty jobs never was that high, most of the work was servicing and accident jobs. The yaris is also a nice car.

Well, between the 206 and Fabia - the Fabia is slighly roomier, you'll get 5 doors, diesel like economy from the 1.2 and a car that feels bigger than it really is. The reliability is far superior to that of the 206.

The 206 is slightly prettier, but ultimately its been built by French people - and thats NOT a good thing.

However... for a small, cheap to run, reliable little car, I'd be thinking Japanese too. I'm looking for something for my mum - and the short list is Mazda 2, new Yaris, and in the lead is the Suzuki Swift.

We simply aren't keen on the Micra - but I'm sure its a cracking little car.

I bet a brilliant deal could be had on the old shape Yaris too as the new one has just been released.

And the 207 is the 206 replacement - they are simpling running the 206 as a budget alternative, just like Renault are doing with the Clio, Ford did it with the Mk3 and Mk4 Fiesta etc.

The 206 is slightly prettier' date=' but ultimately its been built by French people - and thats NOT a good thing. [/quote']

It's worse than that.

It's been designed by French people and built in coventry

It's worse than that.

It's been designed by French people and built in coventry

Took the words out of my mouth re Coventry.

How come Toyota can get a good car out of Derby,Nissan from Sunderland (?).

Must be down to components,not workers. Did a frenchman design the 206?

when i was looking for cars i did have a look at the 206sw but the wipers were what put me off, they are set up for a left hand drive as peugeot were obviously cost cutting and not changing them for uk market....