First Problems with the Superb

OK then guys, although we don't like to read about problems and we don't like high mileage cars I just thought I would let you know of a couple of problems that my Superb has developed at 97k now:

1) Pulley Tensioner - This sits infront of the engine, behind the cooling fans and is on one of the drive belts that runs the alternator. This part has now failed and is on it's way out, the bearing inside the pulley has gone and this is now rattling up and down, not good and it's a front end off job to replace this part. I have bought both drive belts, pulley, bracket and ball tensioner to replace at the same time so just a heads up for those of you with high milers? Apparently this is a common problem?

2) LED Puddle Light on Wing Mirror - This sits under the wing mirror housings and illuminates when you unlock and get in and out of the car. The passenger side packed up last week but I have now replaced the unit and it works fine again, looks like the LED's failed as they have a residue inside the lamp so it could have been water ingress related.

Nothing major but just thought I would let you fellow Superb drivers know.

A good heads up...

If these are the only problems you've had at 97k miles you've done well! :thumbup:

Well the only other problems that I have had, which in all fairness most Superb drivers will have experienced, are the 'cr4p' design of Aero Wipers and the intermittent Reversing Sensors.

The 'Aero' wipers seem to be hit and miss, you either get a good set that never judder across the windscreen, or a bad set that annoy the hell out of you!

Interestingly, the OE skoda ones seem to be the worst, the ones you can now buy in Halfords (cant remember what make, but they only do one) seem the best.

Never had a problem with me parking sensors.

The tensioner/pulley should have been replaced at the same time as the cambelt, sounds like they didn't bother?

The 'Aero' wipers seem to be hit and miss' date=' you either get a good set that never judder across the windscreen, or a bad set that annoy the hell out of you!

Interestingly, the OE skoda ones seem to be the worst, the ones you can now buy in Halfords (cant remember what make, but they only do one) seem the best.

Never had a problem with me parking sensors.

The tensioner/pulley should have been replaced at the same time as the cambelt, sounds like they didn't bother?[/quote']

You could well be right on the pulley front mate, another reason why I never go to the stealers anymore, too much cost and not enough parts for your money IMO!!

The wipers have to be the worst thing on the Superb!!

The 'Aero' wipers seem to be hit and miss' date=' you either get a good set that never judder across the windscreen, or a bad set that annoy the hell out of you!

[/quote']

New Superbs do not now have Aero wipers they have reverted back to the old sort. Muy aero wipers have been fine - however they did make a noise when driving in freezing snow - I guess the snow wasn't wet enough

New Superbs do not now have Aero wipers they have reverted back to the old sort. Muy aero wipers have been fine - however they did make a noise when driving in freezing snow - I guess the snow wasn't wet enough

It's crazy that these new cars have the old style wipers, I mean they just look so dated IMO.

Had problems with both of my puddle lamps' date=' wiring loom was replaced on one after 5k, and the other was just bulb replacement.....

Superb Elegance 1.9TDi 05[/quote']

They will have replaced the whole unit mate, you can't replace LED's they are a non servicable item, the whole replacement wing mirror lower section including LED lamp, wiring, housing and harness cost me

i like the aero wipers on mine to be honest, and the intermittent wipe. aero wipers clean the glass really well, don't smear - perfect. i had one blade that had a "set" in it that made it skip on the glass, but flexing it a few times sorted that out.

if you don't like intermittent wipe, just push the wiper lever down to turn it off - i think the dealer can code the wiper to replace automatic with intermittent (frequency controlled by sensitivity switch) if it really bugs you...

ric

The wipers have to be the worst thing on the Superb!!

Try the ones Halfords sell, they work so much better than the original Skoda ones, or the ones they sell you to replace them.

Mine used to annoy the hell out of me, but since I put the halfords ones on they are perfect.

We had a few Superbs last year that came with the old fashioned style wipers, they do look really sh*te compared to the aero's, but all our new ones are coming with aero wipers again now.

If you've got the old style wipers fitted your knackered if you want to replace them, you can only get them from Skoda, if you go to any motor factors for a set they only list the aero blades for the superb!!

They will have replaced the whole unit mate, you can't replace LED's they are a non servicable item, the whole replacement wing mirror lower section including LED lamp, wiring, housing and harness cost me

There was me thinking you would have an inside track on those!:D

Obviously not vailable from Hella then.

Hope you get sorted on the other stuff soon though.

All the Best

Chris

Quite right there mate, not made by Hella so that was a bit of a bummer but still cheap enough, LOL!!

Thanks mate, should all be sorted on Saturday if all goes to plan.

' date=' but all our new ones are coming with aero wipers again now.

[/quote']

Strange - wonder what the reason is ....

When I was talking to a German Freind last June their new Superbs had just started to be delivered with normal wipers fitted.

A UK freind on mine has just picked up a 2.0TDI 6 speed Superb just delivered from factory (order) - its fitted with normal wipers:thumbdwn: Glad I have the aero's mine work great

I have the normal wipers on mine. If I want to convert to the Halfords Aero wipers, do they just clip onto the original arm, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers,

Rob

I have the normal wipers on mine. If I want to convert to the Halfords Aero wipers' date=' do they just clip onto the original arm, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers,

Rob[/quote']

I am not too sure about the Halfords Aero Wipers but if you wanted the OEM Aero Wipers then you would have to fit new Wiper Arms as the clipping method is completely different to that of the normal design.

Hmmm! My new Superb (15k in 3 months) has gone in for intermittent electric problems. The panel lights have failed as have the airbags and, on occasions, the maxidot. Strangley, the satnav display also seems 'fuzzy' every now and again.

Still top car though!

The wipers from Halfords look exactly the same as the OE ones, they are Bosch I think, but they definately seem better quality than Skodas.

They are also the easiest wipers in the world to change, you just lift up the wiper arm, swing down the blade and it comes straight off. there so easy to remove that i'm suprised there hasn't been a spate of thefts yet!!

I think the whole arm is different on the ones with 'older style' wipers so you wont be able to just fit the aero blades.

Also I think the wipers must be fitted by the dealers (or possibly just specified when ordering) as ours have definately started to be supplied with aero's again, it was probably about a 10 month period last year that we got them with 'old style' blades.

The wipers from Halfords look exactly the same as the OE ones' date=' they are Bosch I think, but they definately seem better quality than Skodas.

They are also the easiest wipers in the world to change, you just lift up the wiper arm, swing down the blade and it comes straight off. there so easy to remove that i'm suprised there hasn't been a spate of thefts yet!!

I think the whole arm is different on the ones with 'older style' wipers so you wont be able to just fit the aero blades.

Also I think the wipers must be fitted by the dealers (or possibly just specified when ordering) as ours have definately started to be supplied with aero's again, it was probably about a 10 month period last year that we got them with 'old style' blades.[/quote']

I have often wondered about people knicking the blades but maybe because they are popular no one bothers?

I can confirm that in order to have the OEM Aero Wiper blades you must have the Aero Wiper arms, this is however a 5 minute change over job if you buy the wipers and arms.

Guess who paid to have them fitted on his Superb Elegance 2.8V6?:mad: Couldn't believe it when I saw how easy it was to do in all of 90 seconds. A learning point to be remembered for the next time:rolleyes:

And don't think nobody nicks them. I called Halfords to check they had them - yep' date=' three sets so I was there in 10 minutes. Couldn't find any. Someone had pinched the entire stock:eek: Had to wait for 3 days for replacements to arrive.

Well worth it though.[/quote']

We all live and learn!!

I know that I have been down at the dealers and thought to myself, I could have done that!!