Re-calibrate MPG reading

21 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

Is it possible to re-calibrate the MPG calculations in the display? According to Spritmonitor, mine is over-estimating by about 5% (average is shown as 46.9mpg, but it's actually 44.5) 

Yes it can be done via VCDS, possibly OBD11 too. 

It is possible yes.

Correction of fuel consumption in Maxidot
You can calibrate consumption if you see that it does not show what you think it should.

1 - Module 17 - Code Box instruments- (25327)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select- Correc.del indic.de consumption / combustion scope - Options: (100%)
4 - Change value. Default 100%
5 - The adjustment allows increments of 1%, maximum and minimum values are 85 (%) and 115 (%).

• Like 1

Mine was actually 13% over-reading, optimistic that is.

I put in the calculated correction factor 88% IIRC and it now matches spot on the brim to brim calculated consumption, will have to put it back or even further the other way if I ever decide to sell it!

In 14 years of my MK1 ownership it never dawned on me that the thing may have been lying or could be adjusted but whenever I did a brim to brim check it never corresponded

When we first got our mk3 Octavia the consumption display (fuel tank average) was always a bit pessimistic by 0.1L/100 but over the last 58k km it has become optimistic by 0.15L/100. It does not seem to be tyre wear or tyre change related.

Not enough to worry about or do anything about and it is consistent enough for me to work to.

5 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Tuning boxes and remaps often result in hugely overly optimistic mpg. The lies the box sends to the ecu from a sensor also becomes part of the mpg calculation  

Certainly true of tuning boxes but was unaware that remaps would be affected?

• 4 weeks later...