Yeti SE Drive or Karoq?

Shivers

Hello - We have a lovely Skoda Yeti Urban (2012) with 59,000 miles on the clock but I'm thinking about selling our Yeti and purchasing either a 2017 Yeti SE Drive (with its generous spec) or a newer Karoq model - probably the SE Technology or Sat Nav Plus. I was initially not keen on the new Karoq and Kodiaq (or any of the models across the VWG) as they seemed so much bigger and a bit bland in style. But, we do a lot of cycling and camping so the larger space is handy. Has anyone on this forum made the move from a Yeti to a Karoq? 

You might think about the advanced safety features that the very latest ones have, such as adaptive cruise control and auto braking. Seriously good kit.

• Like 1

It might also be worth asking to get the thread moved to the Kodoq section, you're more likely to find Karoq drivers there ;)

The Yeti was never given the front or rear radar units needed for adaptive cruise, front assist, blind spot assist or rear traffic assist. Nor did it get the front facing camera for lane assist or high beam assist. I believe the Karoq can be speced with most (all?) of these.

If you are considering exchanging a 7 year old car, then depends on your budget and how long you intend to keep it.

If you assume replacement will also be kept to 7 years old (a fair assumption based on your history) then either

1) buy new Karoq, spec it as you want, buy 5 year warranty (before registration), and assume you will fully pay for it so make sure you can afford any balloon payment

2) go for late SE drive Yeti, probably be about 2 years old, so cost it based on keeping it 5 years.  Might need to travel to source the right car.

14 hours ago, Ryeman said:

You might think about the advanced safety features that the very latest ones have, such as adaptive cruise control and auto braking. Seriously good kit.

Each to their own on modern tech, and i'm no technophobe, but they do have their quirks so I personally would go for the car you like the feel and look of the most.

From experience over 4 diffferent cars ive run:-

1. Lane assist:-  switched it off because off the motorway it was constantly twitching the steering due to poor road markings / surfaces.

2. Auto/emergency braking:- I had several false triggers of full slam on breaking when coming to a stop normally at roundabouts - usually with no car in front.

3. Adaptive/radar cruise:- Ok in theory but I found that all that happened was that I would get shunted back down the outside lane 'line' as the (very safe) gaps it would leave would constantly get filled by people looking for a 'gap' to get into.

Edited by Prezafab
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

Each to their own on modern tech, and i'm no technophobe, but they do have their quirks so I personally would go for the car you like the feel and look of the most.

From experience over 4 diffferent cars ive run:-

1. Lane assist:-  switched it off because off the motorway it was constantly twitching the steering due to poor road markings / surfaces.

2. Auto/emergency braking:- I had several false triggers of full slam on breaking when coming to a stop normally at roundabouts - usually with no car in front.

3. Adaptive/radar cruise:- Ok in theory but I found that all that happened was that I would get shunted back down the outside lane 'line' as the (very safe) gaps it would leave would constantly get filled by people looking for a 'gap' to get into.

Yeah, in Britain it’s completely different to my experience as a hypermiler and relatively quiet country driving........in fact trying to find a truck to acc/‘draft’ can be difficult......there just isn’t enough traffic.

Most of the useful tech has been available for a long time now with the exception of ACC which is good progress.

Most of the other stuff can be annoying and will just be turned off on my next car and has only been creeping in as we move to automanous cars which thankfully won't be in my lifetime. If you need collision avoidance etc. then you shouldn't be driving!

I think there is at least one ex Yeti Karoq owner on here, have a search through recent threads.  As others have said unless they're desperately unhappy with the Karoq and pining for their old Yeti they are probably posting in the Karoq section now.     

I think most of the new tech not available on the Yeti is extra cost on the Karoq? 

I guess the Karoq infotainment is a bit more up to date than even the last Yetis  (bigger screen, don't have to pay for Android Auto/Carplay). Against that its boring to look at and a lot more money for similar spec.

We looked at both and bought a 2017 Yeti L&K. 

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, juan27 said:

I think that was a good buy.

I know that 'character' is really subjective but the feel of how a car works together and makes you feel connected to what's going on, still makes for an enjoyable drive.  Our 7 year old Yeti still has it, despite me being lucky enought to own and drive some technically more sophisticated / up to date cars. I had a top spec Kodiaq in my last job and it was bland and soulless to drive  (*in my opinion!)

It will be interesting how car makers will serve enthusiasts when connected means a digital and commercial connection, not one to piloting the car itself ?

Anyway, still think the Yeti is great.

• Like 2

It is surprising how I can still enjoy driving a Yeti after over 9 years since my first, a 2010, 110 elegance tdi, followed by a 2014 elegance Greenline and now my current 150 tdi dsg SEL Drive.

First two and my choice was limited by company car rules and co2 emmisions. Current is the Yeti I always wanted with 4wd, dsg and ample power.

After over 40 years of driving it is the first time I have ever had the same model twice, let alone 3 times, or deliberately ordered an end of line car, as nothing newer ticked all my boxes. I think mine was built in at most  4 weeks before end of production.

I do find myself glancing at the Karoq when in the showroom for other reasons, but can't envisage ordering one or anything else until the current Yeti is becoming life expired.

I might hang on until hydrogen cars become a reality as I personally think electric cars are going down a blind alley, as no real hope of making them a sensible product.

• Like 1

We're going to look as out of date as pre 60s cars and their owners in the next 20 years. The difference is that internal combustion engines will mostly go, so an old Yeti or Impreza or anything from the 90s or 00s will be alien to a generation used to a solid decade of plug in or induction charged ' mobility solutions'. My prediction is that all non co2 neutral vehicles will be banned and scrappaged off the road by 2040/45. 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 10:35, langers2k said:

It might also be worth asking to get the thread moved to the Kodoq section, you're more likely to find Karoq drivers there ;)

The Yeti was never given the front or rear radar units needed for adaptive cruise, front assist, blind spot assist or rear traffic assist. Nor did it get the front facing camera for lane assist or high beam assist. I believe the Karoq can be speced with most (all?) of these.

Thank you! I didn't realise that the Karoq had so many more features on it. I have posted on both this forum and the Karoq forum and have had a great response with such helpful advice

On 03/07/2019 at 20:18, SurreyJohn said:

If you are considering exchanging a 7 year old car, then depends on your budget and how long you intend to keep it.

If you assume replacement will also be kept to 7 years old (a fair assumption based on your history) then either

1) buy new Karoq, spec it as you want, buy 5 year warranty (before registration), and assume you will fully pay for it so make sure you can afford any balloon payment

2) go for late SE drive Yeti, probably be about 2 years old, so cost it based on keeping it 5 years.  Might need to travel to source the right car.

We normally keep my cars for 7-10yrs. I test drove a Karoq at the weekend but didn't find it as nice to drive as the Yeti so it might be that we get a 17 plate Yeti this time and then think about moving over to an electric or hybrid when we come to change the car again.

On 04/07/2019 at 11:21, juan27 said:

I think there is at least one ex Yeti Karoq owner on here, have a search through recent threads.  As others have said unless they're desperately unhappy with the Karoq and pining for their old Yeti they are probably posting in the Karoq section now.     

I think most of the new tech not available on the Yeti is extra cost on the Karoq? 

I guess the Karoq infotainment is a bit more up to date than even the last Yetis  (bigger screen, don't have to pay for Android Auto/Carplay). Against that its boring to look at and a lot more money for similar spec.

Thanks for your advice. I was disappointed with Karoq test drive which was a surprise. It just didn't feel as agile or as fun to drive as the Yeti.

10 hours ago, Prezafab said:

We're going to look as out of date as pre 60s cars and their owners in the next 20 years. The difference is that internal combustion engines will mostly go, so an old Yeti or Impreza or anything from the 90s or 00s will be alien to a generation used to a solid decade of plug in or induction charged ' mobility solutions'. My prediction is that all non co2 neutral vehicles will be banned and scrappaged off the road by 2040/45. 

I agree

It’s the very thing motoring forums dread most, but tImes are-a-changin’, and fast at that.

The mayors of the mega cities don’t want to be held liable for ignoring the warnings about air pollution and it’s effects on the health of it’s ratepayers..........they are forced to act. The trialling of electric busses in London is just the first step to the ban.

On 04/07/2019 at 18:54, Prezafab said:

I think that was a good buy.

I know that 'character' is really subjective but the feel of how a car works together and makes you feel connected to what's going on, still makes for an enjoyable drive.  Our 7 year old Yeti still has it, despite me being lucky enought to own and drive some technically more sophisticated / up to date cars. I had a top spec Kodiaq in my last job and it was bland and soulless to drive  (*in my opinion!)

It will be interesting how car makers will serve enthusiasts when connected means a digital and commercial connection, not one to piloting the car itself ?

Anyway, still think the Yeti is great.

I agree. I know that the Yeti is not to everyone's taste. Most of my friends have questioned my choice of car but I find the car fits both urban and open road driving really well and has excellent space. I'll also have a look at the L&K model as well as the SE Drive. I have a feeling that I'd ruled out the L&K as I prefer cloth interior.

11 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It is surprising how I can still enjoy driving a Yeti after over 9 years since my first, a 2010, 110 elegance tdi, followed by a 2014 elegance Greenline and now my current 150 tdi dsg SEL Drive.

First two and my choice was limited by company car rules and co2 emmisions. Current is the Yeti I always wanted with 4wd, dsg and ample power.

After over 40 years of driving it is the first time I have ever had the same model twice, let alone 3 times, or deliberately ordered an end of line car, as nothing newer ticked all my boxes. I think mine was built in at most  4 weeks before end of production.

I do find myself glancing at the Karoq when in the showroom for other reasons, but can't envisage ordering one or anything else until the current Yeti is becoming life expired.

I might hang on until hydrogen cars become a reality as I personally think electric cars are going down a blind alley, as no real hope of making them a sensible product.

I was tempted by the extra boot space of the Karoq but felt uninspired by the design and drive. It's such a shame that the Yeti has been discontinued. 😞

• Like 1