Brake woes!

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help!

We have a 2003 Fabia Mk1 1.9tdi on about 180k. Recently (maybe past 6 months) the brakes have seemed to have had a notable decline in performance. It passed its MOT in May so clearly they aren't dreadful, but they also aren't right. 

Symptoms are:

When pressing the brake pedal get an appropriate initial bite, then if you press it a bit harder you get a bit more, then if you press harder again the pedal goes hard and you get no extra braking. It just doesn't stop you any faster!

It's been our run-around for the last few years so I've been servicing it myself, so I've fixed the obvious things first; new brake fluid in May, and although the front discs and pads looked fine I've changed them today too as I don't think they've been changed in the 10 years and 100k I've owned it! 

Having a look around the forum I've had a look at the servo vacuum pipe - can't obviously see any issues here. Equally the servo seems to function appropriately - the pedal goes hard when pumped and then sinks slowly when the engine is turned on. 

The brake fluid was easily 5 years old when I changed it (I know) and it was pretty clean and not obviously contaminated. 

The car pulls up straight and no obvious corner is hotter than any other when you pull up. 

Interestingly if you try and do an emergency stop I cannot make the wheels lock, or make the ABS kick in. I just cannot exert enough braking pressure. I haven't tried it on a loose surface/in the wet mind. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, Oli3000 said:

servo vacuum pipe - can't obviously see any issues here

Have you looked from all angles, and felt as well? They can be sneaky, and only split on the downward-facing side.

Phone cameras are handy for looking at the otherwise unviewable angles. Feeling with fingertips will also reveal splits and cracks that might not be visible from above.

The last couple of badly split ones I've come across both looked fine at first glance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Have you looked from all angles, and felt as well? They can be sneaky, and only split on the downward-facing side.

Phone cameras are handy for looking at the otherwise unviewable angles. Feeling with fingertips will also reveal splits and cracks that might not be visible from above.

The last couple of badly split ones I've come across both looked fine at first glance.

Do you think that fits the symptoms then? Do I check with engine running?

Not sure, but it's very common for these hoses to split, so worth checking carefully anyway.

No need for engine to be running, you're just looking/feeling for cracks like this:

20180719_153158.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Not sure, but it's very common for these hoses to split, so worth checking carefully anyway.

No need for engine to be running, you're just looking/feeling for cracks like this:

20180719_153158.jpg

You are completely right - it is split exactly where that picture shows, just on one side of that black block that is closest to the engine end. 

It looks dead easy to change engine end - just a small jubilee clip. The master cylinder end looks tricky to get to. Any tips or advice on how to do it?

Thanks!

Have taped it with electrical tape (all I had to hand). 

Braking improved

ABS now kicks in again

Shudder when turning the engine off has gone

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

The servo end usually just has barbs that push into a rubber grommet.

Like this....

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it's 6Q2612041A from googling. Maybe my TPS will have one if I ring them in the morning. 

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

The servo end usually just has barbs that push into a rubber grommet.

Fab thanks - so a good yank should remove the old one and then the new one will just press in?

There is a feeder pipe that goes to the ABS from near the engine end - presumably that just pulls off and pushes back on?

Yeah I did mine a few years ago and it easily pulled out and the new one was a doddle to push in.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oli3000 said:

There is a feeder pipe that goes to the ABS from near the engine end - presumably that just pulls off and pushes back on?

I'm not sure which pipe that is. Don't think mine has anything like that.

25 minutes ago, TMB said:

I'm not sure which pipe that is. Don't think mine has anything like that.

Can see the section I have taped there, and at that junction is a pipe going to the ABS - beautifully highlighted! 

It's a 1.9tdi 2003

73D5D960-22F5-4D8C-AAC5-E8CD390E4C1A.jpeg

96821AD3-A89A-4C71-ACEA-959752ECE03F.jpeg

BCC4788A-666F-4CC3-A80E-7B89A6FDFF21.jpeg

^ Oh yeah, just pulls off :)

By the way, that's the EGR valve block not the ABS.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

You will need to break the original hose clamp on your servo pipe and fit a jubilee type clamp. You can break them off with pliers by twisting the sticky-out crimp bit if you can get to it.

Edited by TMB

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

You will need to break the original hose clamp on your servo pipe and fit a jubilee type clamp. You can break them off with pliers by twisting the sticky-out crimp bit if you can get to it.

At which end? 

4 minutes ago, Oli3000 said:

At which end? 

Opposite of the servo end. It looks like you have a crimped clip on it. I think mine did too.

trrrt-2.jpg

Edited by TMB

44 minutes ago, Wino said:

If that part number is right, it's been superseded a few times and currently 6Q2612041CD as far as I can see.

Looks like that's right!

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

Opposite of the servo end. It looks like you have a crimped clip on it. I think mine did too.

trrrt-2.jpg

Looks like you're also right!

65FBEE9C-6FB3-4F21-B87B-7F907C86C8B2.jpeg

51E1278D-B24C-4C2D-A7D9-877F491C1213.jpeg

Excellent. Will ring the stealers in the morning and try Bristol TPS, too. 

They were arses last time I tried to use them though 👎🏻

I have changed this vacuum hose on my 6Y5 recently and just obtained a length of 10mm i.d. Silicon vacuum hose from eBay,works perfect,and quite tight onto the barbs.I used a little lubrication(spit) to help it onto the barbs.Sorted for £4.14p.

• Like 1