KESSY panic

Drove the car to the airport and my dad came with to take the car back- got out with the engine still running, grabbed my things and off he went.  Auf Wiedersehen!

Couple minutes later I do the phone-keys-wallet pocket tap.... PANIC! 😓

Pulled out my car key but he was already away and with the layout of the airport, he was on the motorway by the time I realised... I had no idea if the car had a system build in where if it drove out of a certain range of the key, would the engine cut?? .. You could imagine the thoughts going through my mind of the car cutting out on a motorway....

After 30 minutes of worrying, my dad returns a missed call from me (he couldn't answer because he was driving and wasn't on Blueooth).. He phoned to ask me where the key was to lock the car! 🤣

Panic over- had the key picked up and taken back to the house.. I thought about it more though- I'd turned off the auto stop/start as I always do but if I hadn't and the car had shut itself off, would it auto start without the key?.. Curious.  I can confirm though that the car will drive without the key for as long as it's stayed switched on! 

Edited by Baillie

I dont know ... im thinking it wouldnt auto restart (but if key isnt detected it may disable the auto restart.  Either way he would have got a 'Key not detected' message in the MFA on the dash and a bong.

The car should continue running when it does not detect the key until you physically stop the car with the ignition button.

I would expect that StopStart would be disabled & would still expect the AntiStall to restart the car automatically if you stall it by mistake.

However, before he had even driven off there should have been a message on the dash saying "Key not Detected".

With Kessy, the system can differentiate between the key being inside or outside the car perimeter to prevent e.g. locking the key in the boot.

At least he realised before you had to take your flight.

I have a 245 with Kessy, My wife was driving, I was the passenger and the key fob was in my pocket. My wife dropped me off at the door of a supermarket and she went off to park. She got about 10 yards away and the engine cut out. I had to go and give her the key to get her moving again.

I really don't like the keyless option and i would want my car to not have it, what is wrong with a key ? Nothing is what i think, but i want a new VRS 245 and as far as i know it comes with KESSY and i can't spec it without ? Or have i got that wrong.

3 minutes ago, Hudson1 said:

I really don't like the keyless option and i would want my car to not have it, what is wrong with a key ? Nothing is what i think, but i want a new VRS 245 and as far as i know it comes with KESSY and i can't spec it without ? Or have i got that wrong.

vRS 245 Challenge has KESSY as standard, regular vRS it's an optional extra.

4 minutes ago, Hudson1 said:

I believe only the Vrs245 Challenge comes with DCC and KESSY as standard along with 19" alloys. The standard £27,000 Vrs245 comes with a key unless you pick Canton as an option and has 18" alloys and 40 profile tyres for a better ride.

Edited by shyVRS245
WRONG WORD